PDA

View Full Version : aluminuim or fiberglass

fishing_mik
09-10-2006, 06:06 PM
I currentely own a 18 foot blue water stessl plate boat

I have a bad back and find the ride a bit a bit to hard heading out to sea just wandering how much softer ride a glass boat would be of the same size

thinking about selling and buying a glass boat

mik

impulse492f
09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
If i squint and look at my Signature 492F it looks like a 18" (its only 16") but with the Variable Deadrise Hull the ride is as smooth as silk. The hull is the same in the larger hulls so the ride would be the same.

I took a mate out how also owns a glass 16" and his comment was the Signature was a porsche compaired to his. He said it seemed to cut through the waves heaps better.

IMO its the weight and shape of the glass hull that makes for a smother ride.

BilgeBoy
09-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah...a glassy would be a little smoother that's for sure (Both moving and siting)!!! But at that size it ain't gunna be a massive difference. I get a ride on a 34 Footer now and then and that thing is like being on top of a jelly fish in the big stuff...the whole boat wobbles as it takes the shock. :o

I hear good things about the Polly boats at that size...if ya can get ya head around it!! If I were you I would see if you can get a ride out with an Ausfisher who has a glass your size. That way you can compare for yourself...Nothing worse than owning a mistake :-[

Good luck with it

Megsy

seabug
09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi fishing mik,

Check your PM

Regards
Seabug