PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory PFD's

gif
26-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Have your say at http://www.nmsc.gov.au/survey_pfd.html

Have Your Say!
Personal Flotation Devices (PFD's)

As a national body, the National Marine Safety Committee (NMSC) is trying to develop a set of principles to guide in the assessment of risks

to determine policy on the compulsory wearing of PFDs whilst boating. The aim is do this in a nationally consistent way if possible. National consistency will rest in the fact that all States have assessed the same principles.

The NMSC is committed to assessing how we can achieve better boating safety outcomes in Australia. To do this we are looking at the risks associated with boating. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts.

Spaniard_King
26-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Done,

THANKS ;)

Garry

BilgeBoy
26-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Done!!! :o

DR
26-09-2006, 03:12 PM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] all done

griz066
26-09-2006, 03:54 PM
No problem 8-)

saurian
26-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Gary , do you really think that our say will change the will of an over educated poll. Or do our answers fall on deaf ears or statistical results that can and will be shown as an outcome to suit the answer they want, ????
Do you ask people to address these questions as human beings with a choice, or as another number to suit the statistical questions, ????
Also what is wrong with being human, the jacket was hot awkward , so i took it off , i fell overboard and now i am dead.
Do we have to be do gooders ..???
I think not ,
I think you should announce your ties with this survey if any to let people know the truth...
Yeh . Yeh ., let me have it if it is not from the mouth of a scientist or theologin. What happened to being an aussie ....????

redspeckle
26-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Done on the [smiley=computer.gif]
Mitch

seatime
26-09-2006, 05:19 PM
lip service only, MSQ will delay, oppose and tie up in red tape any direction to the NMSC national safety standard because most of their 'managers' will become redundant if they do.

I've been in this industry for 25 yrs and imo MSQ is a bureaucratic shambles, they don't want a national standard, not truthfully, once they're exposed for the frauds most are, they'll be out of a job!

3 days at a safety conference doesn't an expert make!, gary.

regards

saurian
26-09-2006, 05:34 PM
bump , bumpity bump, bump gelsec

T-REX
26-09-2006, 06:41 PM
It doesn't matter how many laws are made to try and protect people from themselves. At the end of the day take a look in the mirror and you are looking at the person responsible for your own safety. No one else.
Thanks

gif
26-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Gelsec - who said I claimed to be an expert? please retract

I was merely pointing out that there was an opportunity to comment.

Market research (incl survey design) IS one of my fields - and IMO this survey is a biased instrument intended to show a pre determined outcome.

In that, it is typical of government surveys, including one I and two others had pulled in the last few months. It was so biased even the Government was embarrassed enough to pull it.

The bureaucrats decided some years ago that they were going to make wearing PFD’s compulsory.

I think its wrong on one level. But my boys and I always wear our auto inflatable PFD’s at all times - so I don’t have the energy to fight this issue.

Pirate_Pete_Tas
26-09-2006, 10:14 PM
I went to do the survey but as Im from Tassie & Tassie isnt a state of Australia any more I cant fill it in

But I have sent off an email asking them when Tasmania was kicked out!!!!

Fat_Chilli
27-09-2006, 12:40 AM
It appears to me (although I did not read in detail) that "root cause analysis" is not being utilised to determine the causation of incident trends that are prompting this discussion paper. I.e. would the various state boat lisensing inconsistencies come into play here?....hmmmm #:-/

Gary Fooks - if possible; what are the state by state stats (percentage break down) for recreational boating incidents based on the number of registered recreational boats per state/territory? (and Tasmania #:P) and if possible the stats for fatalities only.

Cheers

FC.

marlinqld
27-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Laws????????????? You cant legislate against stupidity. And whatever happened to personal responsibility? I have clicked on the link and had my say.... ;D

Homer_Jay
27-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Had my say. But at the end of the day boating comes down to taking responsibility for yourself and your crew. Laws should just be a guide to the minimum safety requierments, If you feel you should do more and carry more safety equipment for the area you are traveling then by all means you should.

Menion
10-10-2006, 06:14 PM
All done, i hope they listen to what the people want, not what they think we want.