PDA

View Full Version : Swivel boat seats for tinny

James_Rand
04-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi, looking for a swivel seat arrangement for my 4.00m stessco. #Currently only has the 2 x bench seats. #Question is: Which is the best way to atttach the new seat to the bench seat. #I have seen the strap-on clamps.... are they any good? #The bench seat arrangement seems to make it difficult to bolt the swivel directly to the seat with the foam insulation underneath it! #Please provide any suggestions you have... i'd really appreciate it. #:)

jr/

James_Rand
04-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Any suggestions????

jr/

PADDLES
04-10-2006, 03:15 PM
james, when i had my tinny i used some plastic seats with a fold down back and then bolted them to a swivel, i then attached the swivel part to a slide that slid along the thwart seat of the tinny so i could move sideways to trim the boat up so it would travel upright. now the seats and swivel you'll get from just about any boating joint, but the slide things i had to search high and low for and have never seen them since. they consisted of 2 extruded aluminium rails that got screwed to the thwart seat of the boat and then a plate that screwed to the swivel under the plastic seat then and slid into the rails. hope i've sort of described it enough for you mate. i've never been a big fan of the clamp type ones because the ones i've seen come loose too easy.

PADDLES
04-10-2006, 03:16 PM
woops posted this twice :-?

James_Rand
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks paddles, I'll check it out.

P.S. I've heard to clamp down ones move when provoked! My oldman's seat slid right off once, he almost fell out the boat backwards!

seatime
04-10-2006, 05:34 PM
here's a pic of a swivel seat mounted on some checker plate that's bent and fixed to the seat.

regards
Steve

James_Rand
05-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Gelsec,

That's a great solution - I'm assuming that's an alloy piece of plate you've used. Did you have it bent to shape or did you do it yourself - looks great either way.

jr/

seatime
05-10-2006, 08:43 AM
James_R

It's 5mm alloy, which is about max for bending or it starts to crack. I needed the thickness for the countersunk bolts holding the swivel.
It was bent at a fabricators, $40 all up for the plate and bending.
It's painted with 2pac primer and sitting on a bed of sikaflex.

regards
Steve.

rick_k
05-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I made a couple of u shaped saddles out of 12mm ply that fitted the thwart, and bolted the seat swivel to that.

Can slide it along the thwart to trim etc. Coped with my 120+kg, but only for creek work, not offshore

Menion
10-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Dont get the seats that just clamp onto the bench seat. I had them in my tinnie. Iwas hit by the wash of a lrge cruizer, Normally no dramas, but the seat decided it was about the right time to let go. I was left half standing in a 3.5m tinnie in the middle of .5 meter wash and couldnt sit down as the seat was half off on an angle. I never used them again. Im going to put foam seats in now. ;)

schrammy79
10-10-2006, 08:14 PM
James,
On my tinnie I use the seat clamp and a folding seat