PDA

View Full Version : Smaller boats

DazSamFishing
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi all,

I have just purchased my new rig which will be ready in the next couple of weeks...

However, the new rig is over 6meters... and is purely designed for serious offshore fishing...

I still feel as though I should buy a smaller boat (between 3.4-4m) with something like a 8hp 4 stroke... The new big boat will not be as exciting nor comfortable when casting lures into snags and popper fishing in the Noosa river.

Do many feel the same way, and have a large and smaller boat? If so, could anyone give me a few suggestions as to what types of reliable and affordable motors/tinnies are available? I was thinking I wouldn't have to worry about a trailer as I could probably pop it on the tray of the ute...

Cheers

Daz

finga64
08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Mate, I have a 5m boat and a 3.75m Edgetracker with a 15 hp Honda on the back. A lot of times the big boat can't get into areas the tiny tinny can get to and vise versa. When you can't get outside it's always good to have the other option.
The tinny is also good as it's a lot quicker to clean at the end of the day and the running costs are soooo much better. Now it seems the tinny gets used more then the big boat. :)
Cheers Scott

BilgeBoy
08-10-2006, 07:30 PM
From your posts you are quite the estuary fisher!! However now that you have the big rig you can go beyond the breakers and land some bigger action. But what about all those GT's Mate!! Too many options hey! :o

You could always just hook up with Ausfisher who are keen :)

I went the 4.35 with a 50Hp that way I can get a bit of both!!!

Megsy

Duyz72
08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Daz - I have been changing my mind for the past few years, larger boat for outside or tinny for everyday fishing?
Just when I find a nice half cab the motor sitting on it is crud, so I wait, then I get the urges for a tinny and so it goes on and on and here I sit without either!

I reckon it doesn't matter what you got, there is always something else you need.

DazSamFishing
08-10-2006, 11:11 PM
I reckon it doesn't matter what you got, there is always something else you need.

I can't agree more... I think I will spend the small amount of money to buy a smaller boat... I really just want a small tinnie with a small 4 stroke motor... If I buy a second hand tinnie, what should I look for? And what should I be aware of?

I always get this feeling, that there are going to be so many weekends that will prevent me from heading offshore due to weather conditions! However, regardless of the weather I can still sneak up the creeks of the Noosa river to chase jacks!

On the other hand, I could always wait for an invitation from a fellow Ausfisher to fish Noosa!

Daz

finga64
09-10-2006, 07:23 AM
[quote]
I always get this feeling, that there are going to be so many weekends that will prevent me from heading offshore due to weather conditions! However, regardless of the weather I can still sneak up the creeks of the Noosa river to chase jacks!

On the other hand, I could always wait for an invitation from a fellow Ausfisher to fish Noosa!

Daz
That's the go #;)
Reciprical rights to be enforced though.

Noelm
09-10-2006, 10:44 AM
boats are like caravans and campervans and stuff, none are EXACTLY right but are a compromise in some way, if we all had unlimited cash and storage we would all have a canoe, a tinny, a mini gameboat, and a big game boat, plus a cruiser, and a large sailboat to tour the world, so as you can see, make do with what you NEED and can afford

DazSamFishing
09-10-2006, 05:57 PM
I will see what the missus says... She seems to be keen on a tiny boat because of the amount of effort you have to put in for an offshore trip!

I will also make sure to trade an offshore trip for an estuary trip with fellow Ausfishers'.

Daz

_Dan_
10-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey Daz,

If you keep a good eye out you can defiantely find a great tinny for a good price, i recently picked up a stessl 4.3 forward controls, fish finder, windscreen, canopy, all the safety gear with a Johno 35 for $1700..

I had to replace the hubs and get 2 new tyres but now all regod and the motor runs really well and holds 120psi in both cylinders.

And if your ever keen send me a pm, and we can hit an estuary.

Cheers

Dan

Geoff_Atkinson
10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
G'day Daz,

I bought a 3.85 Quintrex Explorer to fish the creeks and rivers with because I felt uncomfortable using $12000 worth of brand new motor in shallow water.

Its got a 25HP Yamaha 2 stroke on it, I bought the rig 2nd hand and it was only 2 years old when I bought it for $2500, an absolute bargain.

The Explorer is a great little hull but, I am going to put a floor in, plus a few new storage areas so it is a little more organized

Cheers

Geoff

whiteman
10-10-2006, 03:18 PM
I've got a 3.1m Quicksilver Tinny with 6hp Suzuki 4s and the whole thing cost under $3k brand new. Gets along at 25kph+ with just me and the rods and costs nothing to run and goes everywhere - it is used in open water off the beach at my place. If I need to transport it I put it on top of the boxy. The whole package weighs 75kg so you can drag it anywher, particularly with the clip on wheels. Go to the web link below to see a photo on the home page of the fishing club site (click on the photo to enlarge).

DazSamFishing
10-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I'll try to find a smaller boat privately...

Any suggestions as to what to look for when buying privately?

And when buying a relatively old tinnie (10yrs+)

Cheers

Daz

_Dan_
11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Daz,

I know of a few around, as i just finished looking, if you know what you want to spend and have an idea on size etc.. Let me know i might be able to point you in the direction of something.

Good luck

Dan

_Dan_
11-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Daz,

on the older ones.. Check the compression of the engine anything around 120 in both or no greater than a 10% variance between them, also check the gear box oil, if it looks milky be wary.. Check for oil leaks

Boat check for repairs on the hull and welds on the seams, also lifting of the braces from the hull. Also see how it changes from forward/reverse no loud clunks

Trailer if buying check the hubs, axles etc

Good luck

Dan

DazSamFishing
11-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Cheers Dan...

I wouldn't mind sticking with a stessl tinnie... I have had a few of them...

But its bloody hard finding a second hand tinnie with a small HP 4 stroke...

What do you think of the quintrex range?

Daz