PDA

View Full Version : Tinnie size, centre consoles and other ruminations

pjw200371
11-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I bought my first boat about a month ago, a 3.6m stessl tinnie. I love it, but I feel it's not quite 'right'. Firstly, it has a long shaft motor but a short transom. I'm not sure what effect this may have. I was told that the best solution is to have the transom raised, however my transom isn't notched (not sure the correct term, the top of the transom is in line with the gunwale, not sunken like in some tinnies I see), so I'm not sure if raising it is safe/advisable. Secondly, when I'm underway the bow seems to sit up very high in the air, even when the motor is not tilted (trimmed?) at all. I'm 85kg, and with a 15hp engine, fuel tank and myself at the back, it seems very stern heavy and maybe this is why the bow sticks up in the air. Is this normal, or is there any way to counter this? Regarding this, is a 3.6m too small to put in a centre console? This could fix the tilting problem somewhat, but also would be far more comfortable, I think. It does get a bit tiring continually twisting the body to steer the outboard.

Blackened
11-10-2006, 05:27 PM
G'day
Ok, first of all I will say that you need to post a few pictuures, as these will tell a thousand words.

If the bow is sticking really high, it isn't getting onto the plane... this is a trim and weight distribution issue. Put more gear forward and help the boat level out.

As for the height of outboard, the correct height should render the anti cavitation plate (horizontal plate above propellor) about level to an inch with the keel.

In my opinion a 3.6 is a great starting boat with a 15 and should reach near on 40kph a wide open throttle. This boat would be too small for a centre console, just too much wasted room in an allready small boat.

Dave

cobiaman
11-10-2006, 06:01 PM
i used to own a 3.6m tinnie with a 10hp merc on the back and with 2 people, esky and fuel we could do about 35kph on a flat day. just make sure you distribute the weight properly, it can make a huge difference :)

Menion
11-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Maybe the long shaft on a short transom is pushing the motor down a bit. I have a 3.5 tinnie with an 18 hp motor on it. I weigh 120 kg. When the boat gets on a plane the nose sits back down again not a problem, and boy does she move ;)
I dont know the speed, but it is faster than alot of other boats out there. I think this size boat is good for rivers and harbours, maybe the odd short trip in open ocean. Always stay in site of shore in case the wind picks up. Also they are great to learn the basics of boating. Also much cheaper to maintain and run.
Enjoy the water mate, youll soon get hooked.

daz35
11-10-2006, 10:14 PM
i had a stessco with a 15 and had this prob also when by myself i couldnt get enough weight up front so put all gear and esky as far forward as possible and a home brew container which i filled with water at the ramp right up the front and problem solved kept the nose down nicely .be worth a try with this or 20 litre drum see if it helps the weight distribution and costs bugger all
cheers darren