PDA

View Full Version : Hinchinbrook Boat Advice

fisho
10-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi All!

Wanting to take a tinny up to Hinchinbrook. Will launch at Dungeness and fish down to Haycock Island and will also fish the jetty (6km long remember).

I know it can get choppy in the main channel at times.

Asking for opinions here - What is the minimum length open tinny I can get away with for this type of work?

fisho

fisho
10-10-2006, 08:08 PM
any opinions? :-?

Rod_Bender
10-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Mate fish very similar ground to what you have mentioned last week. Getting out to the tip of the Jetty can be hard during low tide as there is NUMEROUS sand bars as you drive out into the ocean!!!! Its hard to say, but somthing around the 3.8m + would handle it ok as long as the conditions are reasonable. I saw a boat out at BRAMBLE Reef on Thursday of similar size...it really depends on conditions.

GAD
11-10-2006, 07:33 AM
Watched an old haines v19 with a 130 v6 yammy charge at the sand bar on sat and hit it at about 30kph, bounce and dig and churn and a few other terrible noises later , he got there and proceeded to churn his way into deeper water, it was low tide .
But on sat it was great and there was a 4.35 hornet out at brambles and when I left they were still there and only saw them come in at about 9pm ,Lucinda pub makes a great meal,it was flat out there and Bramble's #45 km. so yeah if the weathers good you get a lot of options .but in the estuary's great for barra and jack.

Unfortunatly weather at home in cairns this morning is like 50k gusts.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # Greg

fisho
12-10-2006, 11:36 AM
3.8m sounds about right - thanks for the opinions. ;)