PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofield 18' assessment

Ratman
12-10-2006, 07:31 PM
I see these boats being used by various Coast Guards around the traps. ;)

Therefor I'm thinking they must be a seaworthy rig but are they a good fishing platform. I've read that they work best with twins in the 50 - 70hp range. Made in NSW.

Do any Ausfishers have one or can anyone comment on how they perform. Can't seem to get any hits on the search turnout. :-X

cheers,

Mick

steveg1100
12-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Have never ridden in one or had one but I must say I have never heard a bad thing about the Hydrofield from anyone. I have a cat at the moment because a good one at the right price came up when I was looking for a boat. The Hydrofield name had disapeared for a while I think they had gone out of business. Is the current boats based on the same hull as the original jaguar 18.

Ratman
12-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Steve I don't know if the hull shape has changed over time. #There doesn't seem to be much of a web site either. #Mick #

leezor
12-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I used to have a 6.1 mt Hydrofield with a 180hp Mercruiser. Took a bit of getting used to handling wise, but loved the short chop we get up here in NQ. Always felt safe in it though mine did feel a tad under powered.

Cheers

Ratman
12-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I might have to put it on the Coast Guard for a trip out. ::) ::)

Sent you a PM Leezor.

Mick

boatboy50
13-10-2006, 07:56 AM
On page two or three you will find another thread on single engine cats and Hydrofields.

A search will show up plenty.

Regards

Darren