PDA

View Full Version : Southwind SF20 Fuel Capacity

leezor
11-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone fitted larger capacity or auxilliary fuel tanks to an SF20? The standard tank is only 170lt, this gives me a range of around 170k's in average conditions.
Considering a round trip to the reef from Townsville is around 160kms, I would ideally like to carry an additional 80-120lts to be on the safe side.
With the currrent fuel capacity I would have to launch at Lucinda, which is a 300km round trip. My old V6 Triton uses almost as much fuel as my boat and does about the same speed while towing so would rather launch locally, not to mention my boat rides better than the Triton ;D.

Cheers

gawby
11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Skippa Skippa Skippa where are you, a brother Southwind owner here needs some advise. Thought you would be right onto this one. ;D ;D ;D

Mate i carn,t help you with this but couldn,t help but throw a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz at skippa.

Graeme ;)

skippa
11-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Geez Graeme,

Put me on the spot why don't ya.. :-[

Well considering I have a SR17 and Leezor has a SF20 ...........
my guess would be ... ahh .... errr .... well buggered if I know ... :'(

But, if my memory serves me right, I think boatboy50(??) had a SF20, so a quick handball might be in order.. :-?

Anyhoo, nice rig the SF20's, should be a good ride for that NQ 2 foot chop ::) ;D

Thanks again Graeme for putting me on the spot eh ;)

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

gawby
11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Anytime Tony, ::)

Just remember yo are the President of the Southwind Club and i was just thinking of you and how you would like to introduce yourself to a new Southwind Club Member ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Graeme ;)

leezor
11-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Funny enough my SF20 used to belong to Boatboy50, he was a wealth of info when I first got it.
I noticed the later model 6mt Southwinds have a 250lt tank, so there is probably room under the floor.
Might remove the floor on the weekend and measure it up.

Cheers

Kendall249
11-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I take it your running a two stroke, as your in the same predicament as I. I've got 200L tank and a 150 jonno running @ ~1.2L/Km. I'm considering taking a few portables and refill inside one of the reefs. Also just recently became an associate member of the coast guard, just in case. Also thinking of trying to fit a large portable in the kill tank, if I find one with the right dimensions.

krazyfisher
12-10-2006, 06:13 AM
have you got room under the pod for portables?
I have room for a 25lt on both sides at the back and use a long fuel line that I can just plug intoi the motor saves refueling.

skippa
12-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Funny enough my SF20 used to belong to Boatboy50, he was a wealth of info when I first got it.

Well,

small world eh, either that or its amazing how far Ausfish stretches then ... #;D

How do find the southwind Leezor, mine has to be the softest riding boat I've had so far.
The newer Southern Star Ambassador's, which are the new SR17's, have bigger tanks too, but the hull has remained the same, why change good thing..... #;)

Cheers,
Tony # #8-)

leezor
12-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey Skippa,

Yeah, it rides awesome. Reckon I will hang on to this one for a while - Would like to repower it with a 4 stroke one day. I can't see this happening for a while as the 200hp Yammy still performs well and has only done 300hrs.

I lifted the floor today to have a look at the tank, there is not much room under there for a bigger one so will have to find somewhere else to put the additional fuel.

Also, not much room at the back for tanks so may have to look at having a custom made bow tank made which I can put in the cabin for those extended trips to the reef.

Cheers

boatboy50
12-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Hey Leezor,

Told you you'd be rapt in the performance of that hull. I still reminisce occasionally with mates about how well that boat performed. Awesome package.

I wouldn't repower with a four stroke. I've been on the SR655 (newer sports version) with a 225 Yamaha Four Banger, and it suffers from the weight.

Enjoy.

Regards

Darren

leezor
12-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi Darren,

That was a concern I did have, it's not going to happen for a while so will cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime, do you have any ideas on increasing the fuel capacity?

Lee

skippa
12-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah Leesor,

Reckon I'll keep mine for a while too. My 115 has just ticked over 300hrs too and shows no signs of slowing down, great motor. I'm getting about 1 mile per Lt, so I've only got a safe 80 mile range.

Good luck with the extra tanks, the only place I'd probably fit em too would be up front.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

leezor
12-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks Tony, yeah I agree - Don't want any more weight in the back so the front is my only option.

Take it easy,

Lee

boatboy50
13-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Leezor,

The only suggestion I have is maybe the possability of getting a fuel bladder to suit that rear under floor storage compartment. You'd only get about 25L in there, and it will add a bit of weight aft, but I doubt that small amount would make a difference.

Only other option is to put jerry's up in the bow between the cushions, and strap them down with eyes and occy's.

Other than that, i'm done! Lol

Regards

Darren

P.S. I just sold my big boat and looking to downsize again! Maybe I might look a bit harder at the Southwinds available! Got any room for another member in that club Skippa? Lol

skippa
13-10-2006, 10:23 AM
P.S. I just sold my big boat and looking to downsize again! Maybe I might look a bit harder at the Southwinds available! Got any room for another member in that club Skippa? Lol

Sure Darren, your more than welcome, but I'll have to find another venue for our club meetings now.... the numbers have just doubled and the phone booth is just not going to be big enough ... ::);D ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8-)