PDA

View Full Version : Single engine Cat or tri in 5m range

cheno
10-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Hey Fellas

I'm getting older and slowly wiser - 60kms out wide in the 455 poly is knocking me around these days as is a full day of trolling.

Thus I have been having a look around for a single engine cat or multi.

Requirements are

1. soft ride
2. single motor (just cant afford twins)
3. 5 to 5.5 m
4. self draining (preferred)
5. economy rules over top end speed (30 knots top will be fine so long as can get around 22-25 cruise fully loaded)

Uses

1. Bottom donging
2. Trolling for Bills

The list so far is (no order of preference)

1. Hydrofield 5m Awesome
2. Hydrofield 5.6 Jag (probably my fave here but stretching it for cost)
3. Noosa Cat 1800 Centre console
4. NQ Borger Cat

I'm keen to hear from people with experience with any of these or to point out other single engine options that may be reasonble offshore. Out of all of these I only have first hand experience with the 18 Jag hydrofield which is fantastic but rare on secondhand market. I will buy secondhand and am in no hurry.

Cheers

Cheno

Noelm
10-10-2006, 09:15 AM
kind of thinking the Noosa cat is the pick of that lot, but that is just my opinion, been in a few of those mentioned, the Webster twinfisher is pretty popular in NSW, and they make a 5.2 metre but they (I think) are a little bit on the expensive side

Blackened
10-10-2006, 10:18 AM
G'day
I'd suggest the webster. Haven't heard a bad word about them. Worth a look.

Dave

boatboy50
10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey,

60km's out in a 4.55 Poly, more game than me!

The Webster is an inshore boat, and there is no way I would be 60km wide in one. Worse than being out there in a 4.55m Poly!

I've driven many hours in a single engine Noosa Cat 1850, and they are good but not great.

I've also owned a single engined Hydrofield 18SF, and it was awesome. Now sold sometimes I find myself looking seriously at others again.

You will pick one up for as low as 17k, I have seen them sell for that. Saw a twin engined one recently sell for that with late model two strokes.

I'd definately be going down that road if it were me.

Why not a twins boat like a small Shark Cat or Kevlacat? The Hydrofield is a good compromise.

Regards

Darren

cheno
10-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Cheers Fellas

Darren, Yeah I missed out on an opportunity to buy a very tired but new shape Jag
with twin 50 4 strokes last year for 5K absolute bargain never to be repeated. Spewing.

I would definitely think about repowering a hydrofield if I could find one going cheap. Seem to be more of the Noosa cats around on the secondhand market though. Looks like Coastal cats only go down to 5.8m and are quite exe.

Did you ever go for a run in the 5m hydrofield "Awsome"? I never got to have a try but have heard good things.

regarding twins, too to exe on the upkeep for me plus modern 4 strokes are very reliable if you keep them in use.

Was the Noosa cat that you used a centre console?

cheno

Grand_Marlin
10-10-2006, 08:24 PM
G'day Cheno,

The 18ft Hydrofiels id definitely the pick of that lot for stability, economy and ride comfort.

It has a lot of potential for offshore work, and when it cuts up rough, you will be pleased you bought it.

There was one for sale on boatpoint.com.au for 25 grand.

Websters are fine, but not really what you would call a serious offshore boat.

Noosacat centre consoles are good, but very wet.

The Hydrofield awesome 5 is also a great boat, but if you have the choice the 18 is heaps better ... it feels very safe and surefooted.

The awesome 5 is still very stable an soft riding, but it feels a lot smaller and doesnt inspire the confidence that an 18 does.

Cheers

Pete

boatboy50
10-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Cheers Fellas

Darren, Yeah I missed out on an opportunity to buy a very tired but new shape Jag
with twin 50 4 strokes last year for 5K absolute bargain never to be repeated. Spewing.

cheno

5k, My god, was it stolen. Seriously? Where on earth did you find that? I'll bet it wasn't on Boatpoint!

The 1850 Noosa Cat is a centre console, and still in operation today with a 140 4 Stroke Suzuki. The performance of this hull with one motor can sometimes be a little sad. I don't believe Wayne Hennig sorted out the formula 100% on that hull. I was told of the day of the test drive before buying that boat (I wasn't there) where Wayne reversed into a small breaking wave on the Noosa Bar just to prove how good the hull was!

It is a centre console and is a solid platform.

The Hydro on the other hand does everything the Noosa Cat does, but with excellent performance, economy, stability and features, apart from the tiny cabin.

You couldn't go wrong with it.

Regards

Darren

youngfisho
11-10-2006, 06:52 AM
There is a 1850 noosa cat centre console on boat point for 25k with a 115 two stroke yammie. #Its a 2002 model hull on a tandem trailer. # Not sure what else is in it. #But as far as being a wet boat, i was under the impression all or nearly all centre consoles are pretty wet boats. #Also have a look at this website which another ausfish member is knocking up one of their boats. They offer a 5.2m single engine cat in a cuddy/runabout style which could be powered with a 115hp outboard. www.nomadmarinekits.com

have also heard good things about the borger cats

andrew

btsah
13-10-2006, 07:37 PM
G'Day Cheno
Nq Cats are aparently great boats
http://www.acecomp.com.au/nqborgercats/
Cheers bruce