PDA

View Full Version : prop pitch for hornet 445 yamaha f60

simonfish
12-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi, I was after some advise on what prop pitch people have on their 445 hornets with a yamaha f60 bigfoot 4stroke.

I have just bought this boat and have a 13 1/4 * 15 pitch prop and am getting the engine lifted one hole, as I think it a bit low. I am getting WOT of 5700 and think with the raised engine height I should get 5900.

Just wondered what others had, and if anyone has a solas s/s and if so, what size / pitch.

cheers,

Simon

Cruize
12-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I got one of them but it's new and I have problems., but i think the opposite to you.

I can't get it to WOT - it cuts out at 6000 with about 1/3 of throttle left.
The boat guy is changing prop this Sat but not sure what's going on so I'm in his hands. I don't understand pitch and prop size.

I do know that the boat is about 10knotts slower then before I "upgraded" the motor. :-[

simonfish
12-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi Cruize, just a thought with yours, I wonder if it is hitting the rev limiter (ie: around 6200rpm), if the prop pitch is too small, the engine will over rev. Interested to hear what happens when they change props for you.

I had the engine lifted one hole today, the prop now revs a few hundred rpm more, and the steering is much lighter, more skittish (in a good way).

cheers,

Simon

Cruize
12-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Simon
thanks - so i need to get a bigger pitch - cause it is certianly over revin'. Why they didn't do that the first time is beyond me - hope it works!

Cruize
14-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Problem solved

Changed prop to what I should of had from the start and I got my boat back.

It's has a nippy take of and a good top end speed.

simonfish
14-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Mate, way to go !!

what size prop did they end up fitting ? Did you get the engine lifted ? I got mine lifted one hole, so the cav plate is now level with the bottom of the hull (I have a 445 hornet) and it changed the steering (made it lighter) and I picked up a few more revs at WOT (same top speed, maybe 1 knot faster), but I reckon it is running better for being lifted one hole.

It's amazing how the right prop can make such a difference !!

cheers,

Simon