PDA

View Full Version : 55Hp  1976 Johnno

Dirtysanchez
16-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Hello everyone

Went out on the weekend in a mates boat, an old beast, but still solid hull etc. On the back was a 1976 Johnson, 55hp, which still pushes the boat along fine.. My mate gets it serviced regularly and has been assured that recently a new impeller was installed.

At the ramp I noticed that the top exhaust vents (the ones below the cowling) were letting out exhaust fumes, but not water.. I thought this strange, all my motors I have ever had, Suzuki, Johnson and now Merc all had some level of both water and exhaust come out of these holes !

I told him about it, he said water has never come out of these holes, only exhaust.

To me, this isn't right, but then again I am no expert. Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

Russ

Blackened
16-10-2006, 01:44 PM
G'day
I've got a 9.9 2000 model 2 stroke merc and these exhaust vents have always been "dry" for me. Water comes out of the tell tale and also at a few points on the lower leg.

I think most engines will be different with design.

A friend has just purchased a boat and has a DF 40 mid 80's suzy on the back, and these exhaust vents spew out water... I thought it was strange but it's normal

Dave

FNQCairns
16-10-2006, 02:09 PM
DS you may find that at high speed operation popets will open and these vents will start producing water, usually people onboard are looking forward so miss it.

cheers fnq

Dirtysanchez
16-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys

I was worried his motor might cark it.. hope not, it was a good day out on the SPs - caught a few flatties too ! 8-)