PDA

View Full Version : I wonder....

TinarooTriumph
15-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey gang.

Well, it's finally here!. I am quite lucky to now have my first boat, which arrived on the Thursday afternoon, and i have been on cloud 9 ever since. The boat is a 2002 Quintrex 375 Dart, matched to a very chunky 15hp four stroke Suzuki (2006 model). I got the boat in bloody good knick, but had been abandoned for the past few months due to no use from the previous owners, so for those few months it was left on it's compactable Bulldog trailer in the FNQ weather with a worn out old tarp thrown over the top of it. Aswell as the boat package, the amount of accessories that came with the package was great, with a UHF radio, Eagle Sounder, crab pots, sick swivel seats, redclaw pots, safety jackets (Many of them!), spare props, ropes, and a fair bit more!. Anyway, this weekend I have been cleaning it out, as there were a few million Casuarina needles in the boat :o , and aswell as that about 10 litres of water that had somehow found it's way under the false floor. Have got it looking very tidy indeed, and looks a treat.

As this is my first boat, and with my father also being a novice with boats, this is a big learning experience. There's a few things Id really like to add to the boat before I really start hitting the water. First of all, a front casting deck, running flush with the first bench seat up to and dropping at the anchor shelf. Would this be ok? Would it add stability? Just can't stand fishing sitting down, and you can't have two people fishing from the false floor in the middle... Just not enough room. Also, a battery box... Most likely in front of the middle of the rear bench seat. I have other plans for the boat, but am not rushing into it too fast (which id like too), but I have a few comps coming up in the next few weeks, so thats thrown a spanner in the works.

Anyway, help very much appreciated! Will upload a few pic's of the boat and what-not before it's first voyage.

Cheers. Theo.

DazSamFishing
15-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi Theo,

Congratulations on the new boat! Its always a thrill to own one... and always a thrill to catch some fish in it... You will need to christen it with a hefty barra!

As for the casting deck... that sounds right... You can easily run it flush... I had a few brackets welded in my first boat so I could sit the ply board on top... You can even consider having a rear cast deck as well and sit the battery underneath the deck...

Daz

griz066
16-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Pics where are the pics of the rig congrats mate 8-)

TinarooTriumph
16-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks Daz. I am also considering a rear platoform. Cheers.

Grizz - Havnt taken any pics as yet, but will soon when I transfer the motor from the bench it's sitting on in the shed, to the boat (So you see the whole package). It's a very tidy little rig, and can not wait to hit the water!

TonyM
16-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Congratulations Theo,

Sounds like a very flash rig indeed for your first boat - well done!

The casting deck certainly should help make it easier to fish up front, although in a smaller boat you do have to be more conscious of balancing the weight out, although it sounds like you've allready been giving that thought (battery placement etc)

One tip that can save a lot of time is to get the boat on the water and play around with the placement of heavier items like battery, fuel tank etc and see how it sits in the water both with and without passengers before you commit to bolting anything down ;) (don't forget to allow for the weight of the deck when you do it)

Cheers
Tony

TinarooTriumph
16-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Cheers Tony, good info. Im trying to be as weight concious as I can with the boat, but as you said I might have to take it for a spin and just try a few things for placement! Top idea. I will get some pic's ASAP guys, I wanted to take some pic's the other day when I was backing the boat down our driveway (Which I might add is about 200m in length and majorly curved ;D ), but I didnt have a spare pare of hands to help me throw the Suzuki on to take a few pics.