PDA

View Full Version : Is COLD GAL good for cleaned up trailer?

ahoj
16-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Is COLD GAL good for cleaned up from rust trailers with rotary brush and flaked rust?

DR
16-10-2006, 05:19 PM
i have noticed they use it a lot on handrails & trolley bays in shopping centres & it seems to stand up, not sure about salt water..

maxwellson
16-10-2006, 05:26 PM
yeah its not too bad. treat the rust with some converter first. let it dry well before you paint over it. a couple of coats is better. then oil base undercoat and finish with oil based enamel.
should last a while (but not for ever)
regards Maxi

dnej
16-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Check the can, you may find they say not to use the convertor.

I found that out from this site a couple of years back
David

dnej
16-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Try this site
David
http://www.galmet.com.au/pdf/technical/cold%20gal%20tds.pdf

Eagle
16-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Cold Gal is excelent for protecting your trailer. You can use a spray pack or use it from a can with a brush. Check the amount of zinc contained both in the spray pack and in the can. I think you will find the normal can holds more zinc, grams/liter than that in a spray can. The very best way to prepare the surface for painting is to sand blast it. I bought a sand blasting gun from Bunnings for $20.00 and it has been one of my best investments ever. You obviously need an air compressor to run it and if you dont have one, you can rent one for a week-end. I already had a compressor so the addition of the gun was a great buy. I use a very fine sharp sand and it cleans the rust off very quickly. The only downside is that it is a little slow to clean a big area but I found it the perfect tool to use on my trailer axle and U bolts and spring plates. A couple of coats of Cold Gal and the rig is now as good as new or even much better. I wouldn't bother with rust converter. As stated previously, it's not the way to go. A clean sand blasted surface is the proper technique and will last for yonks. A further cover coat will also improve longivity as sugested before in previous post.
If you have already wire brushed the area to paint, it will be much easier and faster to sand blast to achieve a perfect job. The sand must be absolutely clean and dry. I sieved mine with the cooks sieve until she found out and I had to buy my own from Woolies. If you have access to very fine beach sand (legally) it does a fabulous job. #
8-) Eagle :)