PDA

View Full Version : water tell tale problem

blaze
15-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Hoping gary sees this
8hp johno/evi, one of the two
no tell tail water, new impellor fitted, thermostat removed. engine is an oldy but used only in fresh. motor also flushed with u bueat flushing aditive. Some white goo removed from bypass holes in thermostat housing. With leg removed and water hose jammed on transfer pipe there was no show of water at thermostat. Jam hose in thermostat hole and force water through engine and eventually get flow out of transfer pipe and tell tale hose. Reassemble engine and run, get water out tell tale for a short period and then it stopped. Remove leg and do the force flush again, reassemble for the same results.
So my belief is that the powerhead will need to be removed to clean out the passageways to enable normal flow (or am I missing something). Is there a common problem with a build up between the powerhead and leg with outboards.
I was a bit Pissed that I couldnt fix it as its Rozs motor for her tinnie at 1770.
Thoughts please
cheers
blaze

blaze
16-10-2006, 10:58 AM
just a monday bump

Spaniard_King
16-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Blaze

I have flushed some engines with a mild Hydrochloric acid solution (pool acid) about 50/50 water to acid.

Take the gear box off and plug the water supply tube
fill the power head with the solution thru the the thermostat
leave for 5 mins and empty by remooving plug flush with hose.
you may need to do this a few times (possibly 3 times)

Sounds like it has a salt build up in the water supply jacket

I take it you have had a good look to make sure its not leaking out anywhere it shouldnt be.

They normally block up in the side cover on the STBD side, this can be a painfull excersise to remove as if its a few years old, you will most likely snap a lot of bolts off :-/

the acid trik works 9 times outa 10

cheers

Garry

blaze
16-10-2006, 07:35 PM
thanks gary, new you would come up with the goods. Pity I cant do any thing now. Roz's husband Tom is taking it to their mechanic but its good info to store away in the grey matter.
cheers
blaze

murf
16-10-2006, 07:44 PM
blaze
let us know the verdict
cheers Murf

HarryO
16-10-2006, 09:09 PM
G'day Blaze,

and all..

Could be the water tube grommet (under the powerhead)
has had it.

Have struck this a few times with the smaller Johnos.

Harry.

blaze
16-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi Guys
Murf - Motor is at 1770, I had a quick look while at the M&G and I am back in tassie.
Harry - Dont think so as it was unblocked a couple of times but good to remember that also.
cheers
blaze

stevedemon
16-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi Blaze
mate have had the same problem on my 115hp no water tell tail turned out to be mud wasps just run a piece of flexable wire about 12" down the tell tail pipe will clear it they are a pain in the butt

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

blaze
17-10-2006, 05:54 AM
Hi Steve
did sll those tricks early on in the checking process, thanks
cheers
blaze

Willdoe
17-10-2006, 05:04 PM
RE Spaniard Kings cleaner - Hydrochloric Acid is a fairly agressive acid. I'd be more inclined to use citric acid.

Spaniard_King
17-10-2006, 05:33 PM
RE Spaniard Kings cleaner - Hydrochloric Acid is a fairly agressive acid. #I'd be more inclined to use citric acid.

Wildoe, sometimes ya got to be agressive ;)

Garry

wessel
17-10-2006, 05:34 PM
As an ultimate last resort, then go down the acid flush route..... BUT
You may want to try normal engine coolant first before using any kind of acid.

The pH difference when using acid flushing will cause embrittlement of the metal that is used in an outboard motor. Just make sure you neutralize the stuff properly at the end by THOROUGHLY flushing the engine.

Dont ever mention to the manufacturer that you did an acid flush - all waranties will be null and void. But that goes without saying ;)

Wessel