PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Control Box Disaster

wessel
16-10-2006, 01:37 PM
For the past two months I had this problem where the gear selector/throttle control arm would come off ever so slightly. A bit of pressure and the thing will slide back in to position again. I just did not have the guts to open the control box in order to get to the nut stuck away on the inside that needs tightening.

Long story short, last night I just said bugger this and started to remove the cover plate on the control box. As always, there will be a small nut that will drop away and your eyes follow the run of the little thing across the deck. Because of the lack of concentration for a split second, the control arm will now pop out of its assembly. You now have no idea as to how this thing is supposed to be put back together again.

The words that followed may not be repeated here for fear of being banned forever from this site. All I can say is, never ever in your life even think of taking that piece of equipment apart. :o
Two hours later I still can not get it to fit back together again.

Even the Yamaha service manual states "with kind words and patience the unit can be re assembled again." ;D I just love the Japanese sense of humour

End of my winge

Wessel

Dirtysanchez
16-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Get it fixed by a good repairer mate, I had a similar thing with my suzuki years ago, ended up just as we went out through the heads the motor stopped, and would not start again because the control system interpreted the position of the cable as being in forward position, hence it wouldn't let the motor start !! >:(

4 hours later, after almost being washed onto the rocks we got towed back to the ramp, but not before I did a des renford and swam halfway arcoss the channel with a rope so the bloke would tow us, he wouldn't come close enough for me to throw it because it was too close to the rocks and choppy (something not lost on us at the time)

wessel
17-10-2006, 06:13 PM
It took less than 3 minutes to re-assmble at the second go.

Firstly, make sure you have a m8 who is a qualified aircaft mechanic. They love playing with small things tucked away in impossible to reach places.
Promise your mate that he can drink as much beer as he can handle AFTER he has fixed your little problem.
Make sure that any moving part that can be pre-assembled, is held in place with water proof grease. (You can not believe how much easier it now is to put everything back together again.)

Make good on your promise - mate walked off with a slab of beer. Still cheaper than a boat mechanic.

Wessel