PDA

View Full Version : Compare a 4Stroke vs 2Stroke for me.

mini696
17-10-2006, 01:41 PM
I blew up my motor on the weekend, unfortuantly due to multiple issues with it I cant have it repaired for a decent price. Well decent for me. So...

My options are a 20HP Honda 4Stroke, or a 25HP 2Stroke (any brand). #This is based on max HP for my boat, and keeping the weight the same as my current motor (around 50kgs).

I want to know which one I should get. #I understand the 4Stroke will have better economy and is a lot quieter. I also have been told my max speed wont be affected due to the extra torque of the 4Stroke, but the 'holeshot' will be diminished if I get the 4Stroke.

So, in your opinions, what should I get?

Also any recomendations who I should get one from (secondhand) will be greatly appreciated.

davez104
17-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Depends a bit on what you use your boat for. Do you do much trolling? If so, you will love the four stroke. The first time you go trolling with no smoke or exhaust fumes, you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. I've got a 40 Honda on my little barra punt, and while I have not been 100% happy with the motor, I do like the smoother idleing and fume free trolling aspect. If you don't idle around much, the simplicity of the two stroke might be the way to go.

Dave.

PADDLES
17-10-2006, 02:13 PM
gee mini, you're going to open another 4s vs 2s debate ;D there's been heaps of discussion lately, mainly referring to the bigger motors 130hp and up. my 2c worth is to buy either a 4s or di 2s if you can afford it. the environment will thank you for the choice. they'll cost a bit more up front than a conventional carby 2s but will hold a better resale value and be cheaper to run, this is opposed to less money up front and lower resale value (not as bad as the bigger motors) for a conventional motor. i reckon all it comes down to is whether you want to reduce your emmissions or not. i mean i've got a gas guzzling merc 135 carby v6 and i'm going to keep it till the old girl blows up (which'll probably be a fair while) but when it happens i'll be replacing it with a 4s or di2s only for environmental reasons and nothing else :)

mini696
17-10-2006, 03:57 PM
gee mini, you're going to open another 4s vs 2s debate #;D there's been heaps of discussion lately... LOL, yeah. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Blackened
17-10-2006, 04:07 PM
G'day
I;m ready for a debate :P

Haha seriously. You're tossing up 2 and 4 bangers in one of the smallest horsepower categories.

I believe the fuel consumtion on a 20hp4/ and a 25hp2/ is just too minimal to justify the difference in price and servicing.

If you are intending to troll, go with the 25 2/ and use the saved money on an electric.

Dave

mini696
17-10-2006, 04:11 PM
What about reliability?

Blackened
17-10-2006, 04:25 PM
G'day
Reliability?
What about it? There are many many 2 stroke outboards 30yrs old still going strong today.

Reliability is directly related to how many parts are constantly working. 2strokes have very very few compared to the 4strokes.

How long do you intend to own this motor for anyway?

Dave

finding_time
17-10-2006, 04:35 PM
G'day
I;m ready for a debate :P

Haha seriously. You're tossing up 2 and 4 bangers in one of the smallest horsepower categories.

I believe the fuel consumtion on a 20hp4/ and a 25hp2/ is just too minimal to justify the difference in price and servicing.

If you are intending to troll, go with the 25 2/ and use the saved money on an electric.

Dave

Giday Dave

Mate i would take the opposite approach :D For small tinnies its a 4 stroke all the way. There quite( your sitting next to the motor) they dont stink( your sitting next to the motor all day) And they do make a differance to catch rates when trolling yes you could get a minnkota but with a 4 you will have less need.

My father-in law after travelling in my boat with the 80 4 stroke, traded in his 25 2/stroke for a 20 hp four and could not be happier and this from a man with very deep pockets and non-existant arms!!! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go the four you'll love it, it's more expensive and doesn't save you much fuel but it's great to use and sit next to all day. :D

Ian

Blackened
17-10-2006, 04:48 PM
G'day
Well I suppose if the $$$ aren't an issue or the decrease in power then go the 4.

But if they are, stick with the 2

Dave

Spaniard_King
17-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I recon only you can make the decision mini :-/

If you can test drive both it will help in deciding.

You wont find too many 4 stroke owners going back to 2 strokes ;)

Garry

DazSamFishing
17-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Hey mini,

I first started out with a 15hp 2 stroke... and then got a boat with a 60hp 4 stroke...

I have been in mates boats with 25 2's and 30' 2 strokes... and sitting next to the motor all day chasing prawns is something I will pass in the future... So many fumes...

Seriously, there isn't going to be a huge difference in performance and fuel consumption...

Use the extra pennies and go a 4 stroke... modern technology and better for the environment... And you will be surprised how well your trolling will be!

Daz

sempre
17-10-2006, 07:09 PM
If it were me , and its not , I would go the fuel injected 2 stroke , got 2 of them and very happy .

Sam...

kleyny
17-10-2006, 07:48 PM
there must be something wrong with my old mans 25 2st mariner is has no fumes at idle once warm or at trolling speed and its early 90s ;D ;D
get a 2 st better out of the hole, less moving parts, at a guess cheaper to service as no vavles to adjust, 2 st have got to be cheaper if something goes wrong.
as blackened said with the money you have saved buy a leccy for trolling

look in the trading post, weekend shopper, and the dealers internet sites for 2nd hand motors (dealers you should get a limited warranty)

kleyny

Kunnara1
17-10-2006, 07:57 PM
If you only have a small boat what difference does it make with a faster hole shot???As long as it gets up on the plane,whats the big deal...It's not as if you are trying to pull up skiers...but only you can decide...

kleyny
17-10-2006, 08:48 PM
If you only have a small boat what difference does it make with a faster hole shot???As long as it gets up on the plane,whats the big deal...It's not as if you are trying to pull up skiers....

i dont know about outboards but in most engines the longer the engine is loaded and working hard the more wear, the more fuel it needs etc.
but thats my opinion

kleyny

Coontakinta
17-10-2006, 10:05 PM
reckon in the Hp u are talking about a 4 stroke is not worth the money spent. ther is not enough difference between the two to warrant the extra in purchase and maintenace costs.

For_Steve
17-10-2006, 10:07 PM
G'day,

In my opinion, I think a 25hp 2 stoke with twin carbies would be the go. I've just bought a Yamaha and I can't fault it's performance so far. After much thought, I decided not to go for a 4 stroke, mainly due to the extra cost. While the 4 stroke will be quieter and use less fuel, I found it hard to justify the price difference. A 25hp motor will use very little fuel anyway.

I believe the twin carbie 2 strokes are more user friendly than the single carbie models. Apparantly they start easier, idle better and are better suited to low speed trolling. I think it's only about $250 more.

Good luck.

mini696
18-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the tips o far guys. Just wanted to add also, I have a electric motor already (although it isnt working at the moment), but for a couple of hundred it will be fixed.

So far I am tending towards the 2Stroke, only cos finding the 4Stroke will be almost impossible (without going new).

Blackened
18-10-2006, 09:41 AM
G'day
then go the 2 stroke, you will have a new engine, with full warranty and you will know EXACTLY what life it's had.

Dave