PDA

View Full Version : Is yours long enough................... ??

Black_Rat
11-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Fellow Ausfishers,

After reading a few posts recently on anchor rope and chain lengths it's got me wondering "Do I have enough length" in the event of an emergency ?

After a couple of lost anchors, my 100m rope must be down to about 60m now #::)

I guess the rule of thumb is 3 times the length of rope Vs the depths your fishing (ie: fishing in 30m, have 90m of rope out).

When you need it in an emergency (drifting towards a bar or into a bank?) when the motor cuts out or can't start it, do you have enough rope to stop you #:( ??

Just a thought ?

Damo.

Homer_Jay
11-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Well i always say its not the length its how you use it that counts....... But we little fellas have to say that.......

Oh wait a minute what are we talking bout here?

Black_Rat
11-10-2006, 09:39 PM
It's not the size of the nail that counts, but the size of the hammer that drives it #;D #:-X [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Homer_Jay
11-10-2006, 09:42 PM
I better get a bigger hammer then.... ;D ;D ;D

Black_Rat
11-10-2006, 09:49 PM
a quote from Homer.................

"..strap yourself and and feel the ggggsssss....baby !!!!!' #? #;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

walruss
11-10-2006, 10:06 PM
I must admit I read the topic and wondered who would be the first to reply with anyting relating to the topic ;D

Bit of a leading question :)

Russ

Black_Rat
11-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I must admit I read the topic and wondered who would be the first to reply with anyting relating to the topic ;D

Bit of a leading question :)

Russ
Yeah it could be but, it I did post for a real experience ;)

fishface
11-10-2006, 10:45 PM
getting back to answer the question......its not how big the plough is..but how long it stays in the field ;D ;D

Homer_Jay
12-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Oh, so now we are plowing fields. This is just so confusing. I need to know what to tell my next woman. Is it the size of the hammer or the time the plow is in the field? Or do i have this all wrong and you are just using your plow anchor to plow the field? I just have this mental image of you driving along on your tractor towing a couple of plow anchors.... ;D ;D ;D

triman
12-10-2006, 08:27 AM
It's not the length of the barrel, it's the calibre that counts

Geoff_Atkinson
12-10-2006, 08:34 AM
I keep getting these e-mails offering to get me an extension!!!

I wonder how they know??

Did somebody tell???

;D ;D ;D ;D

marlinqld
12-10-2006, 10:51 AM
My wife says mine is but i think......nay, i know....shes lying....... ;D ;) ;) :P ::) :o

dnej
12-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Talking from experience,it has got nothing to do with the length of the rope.
However a jute rope,is better than a cotton one,without a doubt.
The splicing,on the end,is also critical.
David

madman1
12-10-2006, 11:07 AM
You must also consider the angle of the dangle

mangomick
12-10-2006, 11:24 AM
My wife says mine is but i think......nay, i know....shes lying....... ;D ;) ;) :P ::) :o

Well mine is cetainly no where near three times the depth although I thought mine was long enough. My wife says it definately isnt.
She also says if she finds that I'm starting to drift I'll find that it certainly wont be any where near long enough :'( :'( :'(.
Hope this helps

dnej
12-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Mangomick,
What you need is a good"Reef anchor",that will stop the drift.
David

BrandonH
12-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Lol onto the second page and NO ONE had answered the question!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good thread mate ;)

To give you a start, I don't get out much deeper than 25 foot in my 3.75 tinny, and i have 2 anchors with the main one having 30mtrs and the second one with 20mtrs. in a pinch i would be able to add them together to give me a longer run but can't see myself ever getting into that position :P

Lol..

Cheers N
Tight Lines

Brandon...

Angla
12-10-2006, 03:20 PM
100 metres would seem to be a good length with a good measure of chain. I think the chain length is not as criticalas the weight. If you cannot lift your combined weight of chain and anchor then its too much.
I always carry a sand anchor, reef anchor and a spare reef anchor that has not been bent yet. My chain is about 4 metre long. the combined weight is enough for me to pull up by hand but I always retreive using a rertreival ball system.

My boat is 5.75 metres and I fish out at the banks area (roughly 120-200 feet)

Chris

hussy
12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
mines not long enough, but i dont use it as a rule. # hubby

as they say, nothing grows in the shade

youngfisho
13-10-2006, 06:30 AM
reading several magazine and boating articles relating to this subject i was informed that the anchor chain should be the length of your boat ie 6m boat 6m or anchor chain. #With an appropriately sized anchor, any marine dealer will be able to give you an idea as to how much weight the anchor should be for the size of the boat. #Also the rope should be long enough so that you have at least 3 times the amount of rope at per depth of water ie

if your anchored up in 30 metres of water you should have 90m of rope out. #Then if you have a raging current or wind then the rope should be extended to a ratio of 1:5 to ensure no drift and to prevent the boat from pitching too violently. Also if you plan on fishing in sharp coral reef areas it may be necessary to use an all chain rhode. As using rope against coral may amount to losing your anchor from friction against the reef.

hope this helps.

oh yeah she did say it was long enough.

andrew

rough_shag
13-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Another SAFETY device that could save lives under the right circumstances ie cut motor drifting towards exposed reef etc etc.I always carry much more rope than I think I'll need-it's one of those things like hot women,hot cars,good times and bacon-you can never have enough !. ;D

mangomick
13-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah back to the topic. I think 3 times the rope to the depth is great but the main thing is keeping the anchor well and truly anchored to the bottom so when the boat rides up and down with the swell it doesnt keep the anchor lifting. With a length of chain equal to the length of the boat this goes a long way towards keeping the anchor down but there is also a bungy device that you can tie off the front of the boat that also helps take the rise and fall factor out. Obvously anchor choice is most important as no matter how long your rope or chain is if the bottom is hard rubble a sand anchor just wont grab.

Camo
13-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Usually when I'm out in the boat with the missus she handles it, and I haven't heard many complaints. #Sometimes she complains about how heavy it is, and at times it gets stuck on the bottom and I have to give her a hand to move it. # #I usually do the job myself if she's not with me.

I have about 100m of rope and 10m of chain, and some of it has never even hit the water since it was new. #If I remember correctly there are minimum lengths required by law depending on where you are, smooth or open waters.

Camo

Homer_Jay
13-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Camo, Yeah there is a legal amount of rode you must have but it is something stupid like 25 mt for inshore and 35 mt for offshore if my memory serves me correctly. I think three times the depth of water you are fishing in is absolute minimum and chain the length of your boat. Like has been said, it is a safety device that could oneday save your life.

Smelly
13-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Mine is long enough but I get stuck inside - caught somewhere on rotten old coral I think or maybe crabs get hold....:-X

mangomick
15-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Mangomick,
What you need is a good"Reef anchor",that will stop the drift.
David
No Mate
I've got a real good "reef anchor". When we get back from fishing she gets in and fillets the fish while I clean down the gear. Wouldnt swap her for quids
mangomick

marlinqld
15-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I aint going near that one Smelly...LOL.... amazing your still alive if she ever read that one.. ;) ;) ;D

Smelly
17-10-2006, 09:09 PM
No probs Mike - I luv catching crabs! :)

Homer_Jay
18-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Man who fishes in other mans well often catch crabs... ;D ;D ;D

Croweater
18-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Usually when I'm out in the boat with the missus she handles it, and I haven't heard many complaints. #Sometimes she complains about how heavy it is, and at times it gets stuck on the bottom and I have to give her a hand to move it. # #I usually do the job myself if she's not with me.

Camo

Remind me not to go fishing with you then Camo, especially if your wife's not there [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Camo
18-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Usually when I'm out in the boat with the missus she handles it, and I haven't heard many complaints. Sometimes she complains about how heavy it is, and at times it gets stuck on the bottom and I have to give her a hand to move it. I usually do the job myself if she's not with me.

Camo

Remind me not to go fishing with you then Camo, especially if your wife's not there

I don't know why, but I just can't keep any good deckies these days.

Angla
18-10-2006, 04:44 PM
A pic of the whole setup. The chain is 5.5 metres long and the rope is 140 metres. (my boat is 5.75 metres)

Chris