PDA

View Full Version : Help with protecting Anchor Well

irishjim
19-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi Guys

I've just repainted my 15ft fibreglass cuddy cabin with Polyurethane 2-pac and I've noticed a couple of small paint chips in the front anchor well caused by the anchor chain and anchor.

Any suggestion as to what I can cover the anchor well with to stop paint chipping....or am I being too fussy

Regards - Jim

Chimo
19-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Irishjim

No your not being too fussy. Stick some marine or indoor outdoor carpet in the well. I did it with mine and it reduces dings but also keeps the chain etc quiet. Also run the carpet out to the anchor / bowsprit roller. that certainly quiets things down particularly for shallow water "ambush anchoring"

I stuck newspaper in and texta ed the corner / folds to make a pattern for the carpet with big overlaps of carpet on the corners when I cut and installed it.

If you want "fussy", I pull out the carpet and the 100 m of anchor warp after use in 120ft of water rinse them off, and dry them in the sun before putting them back.

One thing i find i always get good resale on my boats tho.!! ::) ;D ;D :D

Cheers

Chimo

rotto
19-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Ah yes. I hate that.
Some people will say you are being fussy, but once you have spent a few dollars on the boat you cant help but keep her looking shmick.

A coule of options. Put an anchor spit up front. A bit hard to mount and maybe not very practical on a 15fter. I think you can buy some pre fabricated ones from marine stores. They do however definitely work.

Or you can buy a product called gel coat repair filler. Made by septone. Fairly cheap, just like mixing up bog for a car, except it dries white in colour, can be sanded/painted and shines up beautifully. :o

I let the chips and stuff get real bad on my boat, I then mixed up a bit and repaired all of the scuffs and chips in one hit. Alternatively, tell whoever is lifting the anchor to be real careful and reach right out when pulling the chain and anchor in.lol ;) :D

Blackened
19-10-2006, 04:28 PM
G'day Jim
Ok, we're talking about an anchor well. there's only generally two ways this is done by the manufacturers. that is, to Flowcoat the well and the well only. This stuff as you know is much harder wearing than paint or gelcoat and will with stand knocks quite well. Or you may go marine carpet. Looks flash, easy to keep clean and keeps everything quiet.

Dave

finding_time
19-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Just a simple thing you can do depending on the size of you well is have more rope in there ,the anchor sits on the rope not on the glass! You can never have to much rope ;)

Ian

Grand_Marlin
19-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I just did one with 6mm recycled rubber mat from clark rubber

angler
19-10-2006, 07:12 PM
i got a plastic planter box to fit in my well works great.

flyboy
19-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi irishjim
I did the same as Grand_Marlin with a rubber mat from clark rubber.
does not look the best but i have no chips on my boat if i resell and is very
practical you can leave in the boat all the time and hose it out in the boat not like the marine carpet which you have to take out to dry

snelly1971
19-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I`ve seen a couple done with lina-tex....rubbery like material that is used inside of pipes....alot of mines use it....not sure of price, but it has a very long life span.