PDA

View Full Version : Pod filling with water

ovakil
17-10-2006, 06:23 PM
I have a coxcraft pantera & the pod is always filling up with water >:(.I spoke to coxcraft & they sugested a one way valve.I put one in ,waste of time.I now have a 30mm hole at back of pod which I covered with a peice of ally.I was thinkig of taking ally off & leaving hole there so when I take off all water comes out whilst driving.I asked coxraft that was my origanal idea & they sugested the valve.
I have filled pod with fresh water to see where leaks but can't find.All I can think of is coming through where steering arm is (hopefully I've attached photo)
Any sugestions?

dfox
17-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Use a small compressor and pump in some compressed air, it only needs to be at a real low pressure, then with a sponge and bucket of water with detergent wipe over all the areas, youll soon see your leak...

Ian_Reeders
18-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Be very carefull with compressed air. Have seen a few things damaged doing this, fuel tanks etc. I would suggest using a regulator and keeping the pressure right down, about 5 psi or less. Your pod is not designed to hold pressure. At 5psi there will be 720 lbs excerted on every sqare foot. That probably means about 1500 lbs just on the rear face of the pod. You may build yourself an even bigger leak.
Is there an inpection panel in the top of the pod? If so fill it with water an go around the pod with an air nozzle at 100 psi approx and look inside for bubbles. Blow around outbaord mount holes etc. Much safer.

good luck

Ian

ovakil
18-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Filling up with air won't work as the pod is not completely seeled.The steering arm goes through top which has only silastic around it.The fuel lines run from inside boat through hull & pod as well.I made up a fitting that screwed up to bottom bung & filled up with water I had found a small leak which I fixed.I.m pretty sure water is coming in where steering arm is,I can't completely seel it.
Would it be ok to leave hole at back of pod for water to run out?
The photo is before I drilled hole.Hole is at bottom under engine mount.
Thanks

FNQCairns
18-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Betcha the water is coming through the engine mount holes or somewhere else low on the pod because this is where the pressure is greatest when sitting still on the water.
If you fill up to the normal waterline with red food dye added and leave overnight you might find some colourfull evidence? or even evidence you may not want to find also.

cheers fnq

ovakil
19-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Will try on weekend,never thought of engine mountts

ryank
20-10-2006, 08:41 PM
hey mate seems to be a common problem withe the pantera there is only a small lip that is stopping water from getting in you can either take pod off and add more glass or just get a tube of sikaflex and seal right around the outside. good luck mate.