PDA

View Full Version : Protecting a boat left in GC canal water?

Chimo
19-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Does anyone have any experience with keeping a boat in a "Sea Pen" or similar thing in a canal?

These are supposed to stop growth on the hull even tho the boat is still floating and do away with the need for anti-fouling. Is this correct or are they a waste of money?

I know air docks or air berths work but they are a lot more expensive and am looking for a cheaper but effective alternative. I don't want to use anti-foul either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

:-/Chimo

Homer_Jay
20-10-2006, 06:07 AM
We poor people with trailers dont have that problem....

But I would trade my trailer and boat ramp arguments anyday for an anti fouling problem... ;)

Chimo
20-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Hi Homer_Jay

We are not in a position yet to be able to avoid the ramp issues like :\
1 having a trailer when you get back,
2 not having a broken into car (no I am not leaving $5 on the seat and the window down,
3 being able to get to a ramp thru the traffic etc

but you have to explore the options, eg like marinas, rented jetties and pontoons etc don't you reckon?

Cheers

Chimo ;D ;)

Blackened
20-10-2006, 06:23 AM
G'day Chimo
a few of my clients have this sort of satup, the most recently I have seen was at sancuary cove.

They do work, as the owners were recomendng them, but alike.. I do prefer the airdock syatems.

Have you conaidered a floating pontoon that you can just winch the boat up onto that?,It'dhelp any potential electrolisys problems aswell.

Dave

Chimo
20-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi Dave

Thanks for that. Are you at Sanc Cove?

Are you suggesting there would still be electrolysis issues with a FRP boat even in a sea pen or similar enclosure?

I thought you could add a few chemicals to the water around the boat eg chlorine to keep things tidy and with a 12 v bilge pump empty out most of the liquid between the inside of the bag and the boat hull?

Do you know what they cost?

What's a pontoon worth, although that would not be nearly as portable as I expect the big bag ie sea pen etc would be to move between locations.

Cheers

Chimo

Blackened
20-10-2006, 05:18 PM
G'day
No idea on costs of the docks or seapens, I'm not at sancuary cove, just one of my clients has a 32' searay in one, and looked to be keeping good shape.

I wasn't aware you had a glass boat, but nevertheless electrolisys and corrosion is still a problem on motor legs if you don't have an outboard that can be tilted clear.

Dave

flatstrap
21-10-2006, 08:23 AM
As far as I am aware, the 'sea pen' system was just a plastic bag sorrounding the water around the bottom of your boat. Then chemicals are added into the bag to KILL normal marine organisms that are in the enclosed environment. Personally, I think that system sucks as 'poisons; are added to the water and later released and the procedure is repeated. I think we need to REDUCE the amount of toxic materials we are putting into our environment. The soft corals, sponges and barnacles that are living in the water (around all watercraft) are the rightful residents of that space. This action has repercussions to other organisms.
SPEND THE MONEY and haul your boat out of the water.

Electrolysis will occur regardless of whether your boat has a condom or not; so long as it is in the water.

PinHead
21-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I looked at those for my boat but decided against it. I cannot have an air berth where my boat is...just had the boat anti fouled..what a difference..4 blokes on board...added 400 litres of fuel and up on the plane and crusing at 26knots at 3800rpm...brilliant. Anti fouling may not be cheap but I would not swap and go back to using a ramp every time I wanted to go boating. With a berth..walk down anytime day or night..untie it and off we go..and back whenever we feel like it..into the pen..no queues..can take all the time I want..I love it. My boat has the electronic galvanic corrosion protect (thinks that is what it is called)..anodes just been changed after 12 months in the water..no corrosion evident on the legs.