PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Oars

Smelly
21-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi all.

Where do i mount oars on a Haines 5.3 SLR?

These are required for safetyregualtions?

How do I mount oars?

Smelly

snelly1971
21-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Smell...My last boat was a 5.3 meter open dingy...Tas regulations state that you either have to have oars or an auxiliary motor....now....there is no way in hell you are going to row a boat of that size so to get around it...and yes ...this is legal...buy a couple of short canoe paddles...the ones with the aluminium handles and rubber blades...these class as paddles....cheers hope this helps...Mick

Smelly
22-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Hi Mick.

Here in VIC, oars must be used over paddles in 5.3m boats - hence I bought a pair.

Now, where/ what do I mount these things on to?

What do I use?

Smelly

snelly1971
22-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Mmmm.....have no idea..how do the dickheads expect you to row it anyway....have you got pop eye arms???....

Would pay to check up about those little paddles.....talk to your local Marine and Safety organization....

Feral
22-10-2006, 06:25 AM
If your boat is 5.3m, you should be able to mount them along the sides.

You can get collapsable oars along the lines of canoe paddles, the handles are just a bit longer. Mates got a set, 3 or 4 pieces in each oar.

The reality is you will never row a boat that big, so whether they are usable or not does not matter, you just have to meet the letter the (stupid) law.

Smelly
22-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks Freal.

I do not need to get paddels, etc as I already have bought the oars..

"...you should be able to mount them along the sides..."

How ?

Do I drill holes inthe gunnels or what?

Smelly

ahoj
22-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Is electric motor considered an auxhilery device? a 30 lb Minn-Kota will give you more power then rowing --and l-o-n-g-e-r on a reasonable 70 amp battery and whats more decent rowing oars as almost as expensive as a 30lb Minn-Kota and the weight is not much different..

Ahoj

Smelly
22-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Do I drill holes inthe gunnels or what?

Feral
22-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Dunno what your boat configuration is, no ribs running up the sides?
Got plastic clips drilled into the ribs on the one a mate has, the oars push into them.

Also seen them left on the rowlocks, and pointed along the sides and clipped down to the top of the gunnel on smaller boats.

Homer_Jay
22-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Smelly, Not sure how you will mount your oars as personally I have never done it...........

But I am thinking it gonna hurt!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Roughasguts
22-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Mate I would mount some rod holder where the oars would go.
Sleeve the rod holder down and you should be in business, with the row locks.

But ahh' Like the guy's say ,I tried to row the old mans 17 footer, in No wind No tide, And you guest it NO luck getting anywhere.

The only hope you have is two guy's and a paddle each side standing up and going for it.

Smelly
23-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks boys!

Homer - I luv mounting anything! 8-)

Smelly
23-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Dunno what your boat configuration is, no ribs running up the sides?
Got plastic clips drilled into the ribs on the one a mate has, the oars push into them.

Also seen them left on the rowlocks, and pointed along the sides and clipped down to the top of the gunnel on smaller boats.

Feral,

DO u have pics of these of these ideas. THey seem prety good..

Feral
23-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I'll try and remember to get photo's of the one at work tomorrow, it is the small one. The mate is currently in Perth, back in a couple of weeks, so no photo's soon..

Had a brain storm - looked through some old fishing photo's got some photo's where you can sort of see the set up.
This photo you can see the clip to the left of the fish on the flat (unused seat mount)

Feral
23-10-2006, 07:49 PM
This one you can see the front clip with oar mounted. The rear clip is a similar mount.

Feral
23-10-2006, 07:53 PM
This is a small boat, so to hold the other end of the oar it was easier to put a little aluminium angle under the seat, it holds the oar fine. In a 5.3m boat a second clip should not be a problem.

Smellier
24-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Many thanks Feral.

Realy appreciate the effort in publishing the photos.. ;)