PDA

View Full Version : Johnstone 6.6HP - Servicing

gropeher
24-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi all,

My Dad has just bought a 10ft or so tinny and it has a 6.6HP Johnstone on the back,
I believe the motor it self is a 78 model, however seems clean enough and would appear to run ok.

What would be the obvious things he would need to do himself to give her a quick service,
Plugs, how many etc fuel filter etc etc.

He does not live here so I will be passing this info onto him.

Thanks all.

Ryan.

Dory4.1
24-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Ryan,

I'd change the gearbox oil and sparkplugs.

Rgs
Michael

finga64
24-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Yep, spark plugs, gear oil (make sure the oil's not milky when it comes out. Some more work to gearbox is required if it does come out milky), clean the fuel filter or replace the filter if needed, check, clean or renew the points as required, check the timing, clean, inspect and lubricate the throttle linkages, check the pull chord, check and replace the impellor if needed.
Take the carby off and clean the bowl, check the jets and adjust mixture when it's running again (try to do this when the motors under load)
I'd change the replaceable parts like points, filters, plugs, impellor, chord anyways if I had just brought it just to be on the safe side.
Check all bolts, nuts etc for corrosion and change as required.
If that's a shear pin model make sure you have a spare. ;)
Some more items will be added by other members more knowledgeable then me :)
Good luck
Scott :)

aussiefool
25-10-2006, 02:49 AM
As Finga said above but if it was we I would "replace" the impellor instead of just checking it, that way you know in is new and will pump water. I personally replace mine every 12 mths with the trailer barings weither it needs it or not