PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic help

FNQCairns
24-10-2006, 02:35 PM
If I have an Hydraulic helm that takes 4 turns lock to lock and then upgrade the Helm to one that turns the outboard cylinder with only 3 turns lock to lock will the steering require more effort? Assume same max PSI for both as cylinder is rated at around 1000psi.

If effort does increase what can I check on in the units specs to ensure the effort required stays near the same?

Any hydraulic heads out there?

thanks fnq

Roughasguts
24-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Easiest fix would be a larger steering wheel.

Spaniard_King
24-10-2006, 04:57 PM
FNQ,

I have played with a few helms and yes you will need to increase the force required to maintain the same steering ability if you go up in helm size.

Why are you going up in helm size.. just for lock to lock.. surely you dont need to drive it like a rally car ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Garry

FNQCairns
24-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks Gary, I remember you giving me advice ages ago on helms etc. You said you had the K6 cylinder on a Honda can you remember what capacity the helm was? and was it ok to use?

Rally car :), nup it's going to be a bumpy boat, looking to decrease the amount of work I need to do to pick the thousand soft spots on each 20km run to and from the reef.
cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
25-10-2006, 02:44 PM
fnq,

we found the seastar 1.7 cu inch helm to be the best for the Hynautic K6. it gives a sweet steering setup ;)

Garry

FNQCairns
25-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks Gary, that's near 5.3 turns L to L. Might be a bit many for this blackduck and his setup tho. Would be nice and light.

thanks and cheers fnq