PDA

View Full Version : 5M to 5.5M boat, Which one?

MattyDucati
05-10-2006, 11:02 PM
I am starting to ramp up my seach for a new boat.
I have been looking around the 5 to 6 meter mark as i have a budget of 35ish. On the list at the moment is, 510 C/C quintrex with 100 4st yam, Cyclone 5.3 with 90etec, mako craft 530 C/C with 115 4st suzy and 519 stacer nomad C/C with a 90. The boat will be used off cairns for around the next year as im flyin in and out to gove NT for work and then i'll be moving to Gove full time.
Mainly off shore work but the boat and trailer needs to stay around the 1000kg mark for towing.
Any feedback on what you guys think would be great and any reports from anybody with one of these boats would be great also.
Have been thinking also about the longboats but the mrs wants more free board ;Dso the crocs cant get in ::)
Cheers Matt

Coontakinta
06-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Matty, are the Cyclone and the Makocraft plates or sheet alluminium?

Would suggest plate would be far better than sheet, thicker, stronger, but also heavier :-/

Would probably also go with the E-tec over a 4 stroke, ( its a weight thing)

Have u considered Seaquest, Fisher, Genisis, or even Goldstar, who I think are a queensland builder?

I have a Seaquest. Am happy with the boat with the exception of the paint work! :(

marlinqld
06-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Matt,

My brother in law just bougth a really nice boat, picks it up saturday.

Stacer 5.75 Bowrider, 130HP Honda, live bait tank, dual batteries, nacvman chartplotter, sounder radio, full storm covers. rocket launcher/rod holders, radio, 160lt in floor fuel tank, a big big boat IMHO. BEautiful big area in the bow rider section. Paid $32K, which is inside your budget,

A fe weeks ago wasnt much 2nd hand on the market, but seems to be a few coming up for sale now. Just be patient and keep looking, you will find one

Mike

MattyDucati
06-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Matty, are the Cyclone and the Makocraft plates or sheet alluminium?

Would suggest plate would be far better than sheet, thicker, stronger, but also heavier :-/

Would probably also go with the E-tec over a 4 stroke, ( its a weight thing)

The Cyclone is a fibreglass hull and its very nice! :-/ but they are just above my budget at 38 but i like them a lot.
Makocraft are plate and are just the new stessl name and seem like good value for $$$.

I'm leaning towards the alloy boats as it will be towed over dirt roads a fare bit in gove.

craigie
06-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Matti,

I have a Cyclone 540 Side Console with a 115 Optimax Merc (with Smart Craft gauges) on an Easytow Trailer.

Thinking about putting it on the market ??

Cost me plenty to put the package together, has a custom Canopy, Furuno Sounder, carpet, Cannon Downrigger, huge live well (plumbed) under the front casting deck, live bait tank (plumbed), multiple hatches built into it's hull as some of its' extras.

The boat is a one off !! The only Tangerine one built !! Great performer, pulls close to 40 knots at WOT 8-)

Would consider parting with my Cyclone for the right offer :'(

Have included a couple of pics,

Regards
Craigie.

craigie
06-10-2006, 02:01 PM
internal shot

craigie
06-10-2006, 02:03 PM
close-up of it's beautiful hull :-*

MattyDucati
06-10-2006, 03:09 PM
:o
Nice craigie nice!

How do you find the 115?
I was told that the 115 would be to heavy and to go with the 90etec?
PM me a roundabout $$ if you like :D

craigie
06-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Matty,

I can assure you the 115 Opti is fine, NOT too heavy. Weight is around 170 kg's for the donk.
My rig was purchased through the local dealer (Coorparoo Marine) who has put 115's on several Cyclone 540's. Before purchasing mine, I went for a test ride on a 540 with a 115, 4 stroke Merc, again no problem with weight.

In fact the Boat builder himself (Ross Wilson) told me personally the 115 Optimax would be his engine of choice for the 540 8-).

Will send you a pm with some figures ;)

Cheers mate,

Craigie.

DazSamFishing
06-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Matt,

As you said, the Makocraft looks good value for money! The trophy centre consoles are plate... and with a budget of 35ish... you should be able to get a good rig. I have owned 3 makocraft boats... car topper, tournament estuary tracker, and finally my new boat which will be ready soon is the canyon runner 610. I remember getting a comprehensive quote for the CC530... but the missus didnt want another open boat... I think the CC will be perfect up north...

Good luck

Daz

Stu
06-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Would love an Allison 195 or a Yalta 555 or .....the wish list goes on/
Dont forhget 35k buys a lot of boat. Dont rush in.
Try and do a bit of deckie-ing on a few other Ausfish member boats before making up your mind.
Stu

littlemac
07-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Hey Mat,

Another option is the galeforce 550 offshore, Iam picking mine up next week, these are glass and one hell of boat, these glass boats are used alot in the torres straight even the 4.8 they take take 25miles to sea, all Tony's (the builder) boats are self draining hulls. Iam going with the 90 ETEC with that on it it gets about 42mph, pricing of mine is 40k but that has all the bells and whistles on it.

Cheers
Brett

littlemac
07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Hey Mat,

Another option is the galeforce 550 offshore, Iam picking mine up next week, these are glass and one hell of boat, these glass boats are used alot in the torres straight even the 4.8 they take take 25miles to sea, all Tony's (the builder) boats are self draining hulls. Iam going with the 90 ETEC with that on it it gets about 42mph, pricing of mine is 40k but that has all the bells and whistles on it.

Cheers
Brett

littlemac
07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
sorry about the double up computer is palying silly buggers

brett

Timj
07-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Have a look at the Wahoo boats made by Roy Jervis down at Horizon Shores marina. A lot of his 4.9 metre boats are used up in the Torres straight and as fishing boats. When we went up to Cape York a few years back we couldn't believe the number of them tied up to the wharf at Seisha and on TI. I have had mine for nearly ten years and have upgraded it with a 90 Tohatsu (from the original 50 Merc), a side console and a heavy duty Belco trailer and I would tow it pretty well anywhere. I do put some protection on the front if going on to dirt. They also make a 6metre version that can have an inboard diesel Merc or an outboard. Sort of longboat style but does have higher sides than some others that I have seen. They were sold by Mercury as a SeaPro but I am not sure if they still are.

Tim.

hempy
20-10-2006, 06:06 AM
Matty

I have a makocraft 560 canyon runner with a 140 suzy on the back and am very happy with it. Paid $37500 with canopy,full clears and quite a few options 12 months ago.

Hempy

timddo
20-10-2006, 08:31 AM
i saw a mako 150mercury EFI 5600 for $28000, done 1.8 hrs at westside boating last week.

Loco_Pez
20-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Matt,

5.3m Polycraft is also a nice boat at a good price. Info on their website http://www.polycraft.com.au/ & also plenty of chat about them on http://www.polyboatowners.com/forum/

LP

stinkers
26-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey Matt,

I reckon you'd find it hard to go past a Formosa 550 CC with 135 Honda for $36,950 or even their 520CC with 90Honda for $29950.

If you want freeboard, or the missus does, you wont find a deeper boat.

Cheers
Stinkers

Fat_Chilli
26-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey Matty, hope the Wranglers not gona be pulling it. ;) That Cyclone looks nice!