PDA

View Full Version : Swingaway Draw Bar

RayB
24-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Has anyone modified their draw bar on the trailer to a swingaway configuration or maybe even a removable option which fits like a sleeve.

I would love to fit this type of option to my existing trailer as it is marginally too long for my garage. If anyone knows of a local mob (Brisbane) who does this type of work it would be appreciated.

cheers
Raymond

dnej
24-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I got this pic from somewhere.Might help
David

finga64
25-10-2006, 06:13 AM
I made one once that was like a Hayman Reese towbar. The main section of the drawbar had 2 pins holding it with 2 bolts with locknuts taking the slack and rattles out.
You just pulled the 2 pins and the hitch just pulled out.

It made it easy to have a beach launching drawbar as well. Pull the short one out and bung the long one in.
The mod was easy as 8-) but that was a trailer with no brakes as well

You'd have to be carefull though on who did the alteration due to insurance concernes.

RayB
26-10-2006, 10:15 AM
I got this pic from somewhere.Might help
David

Nice pic David.

I am still interested in anyone who might have had their trailer modified in this manner.

cheers
Raymond

plat-a-puss
26-10-2006, 03:37 PM
g,day rayb swing away drawbars r good but u need to look into it . as finger said u need to look at insurance. if u make the the drawbar yourself it will have 2 certified (compliance plate) see it in the pick finger suplied? no compliance no insurance. and if u get 1 made they still need 2 be certified and made by a welder who holds a mvric license (motor vehical repair industry cuncil) these people are qualified to alter or make such things ,anything that is road rego has 2 b repaired bye 1 of thses people

hungry6
26-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Trailerworld down near springwood, would be your best bet on these sort of modifications, the do good works, and often over engineer components.
I've seen drawbars that lifts up and down which is easier to engineer but may not be what you wants.
cheers
wayne