PDA

View Full Version : Battery Chargers

setthehook
19-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Gday all
I have a minn kota maxxum motor run off a brand new deep cycle battery. Im wondering what battery chargers others recomend and use. And i am aware of the minn kota charger but im also hoping there is something relitively cheap that will do the same job?? I have 2 normal car chargers but im also told that is not a good idea.
Just need to get a cheap charger as i just paid for heaps of stuff for the boat and misses is ready to shoot me....
Also where can i buy one?

Cheers Rob.

Spaniard_King
19-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Hi Rob,

I will be keen to here the answers on this one as well. I have ever only used cheap battery chargers, what reasons did they give you not to use a cheap charger :-/

cheers

Garry

finga64
19-09-2006, 07:43 AM
This site may help. I refer to it heaps
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Battery%20Charging

and it's mother page

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Cheers Scott

setthehook
19-09-2006, 09:10 AM
spaniard king are you acharging a deep cycle battery with a cheap charger? Does it charge well and how long have you had the battery?

From what ive read i need a 3 stage charger.

Anyone one know of who sells cheap 3 stage chargers?

Thanks for the link Scott

SCOTTYGC
19-09-2006, 09:13 AM
i got one from supercheap for around $50 it charges the battery then trikel charges it to keep it charged

i just put it on when i get home and take it off before i go fishing the next time

seems to work

scotty

setthehook
19-09-2006, 09:16 AM
And yours is deep cycle battery Scotty?

If you dont mind me asking what brand and model charger as ill take a look tomorrow in town.

Cheers mate

stevedemon
19-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Hi setthehook
mate i have always used a 4amp charger on any battery whether it be Car, 4X4 of Marine deep cycle batteries if you use a quick charge (6amp) battery charger it will shorten the life of your batteries
4amp on 12v batteries to fully charge over night or 24hrs and keeps batteries in good condition i also use either boiled water or rain water(when available) to top up batteries mine is only a super cheap charger and it does the job as good as any
they would only tell you to use some other brand for the facts they own them

hope this helps

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

setthehook
19-09-2006, 09:38 AM
http://www.supercharge.com.au/products_specs_deep.htm#

here is the battery i bought and mine is the D70Z.

so the 4 amp will charge a my battery overnight you think Steve and not shorten its life?

griz066
19-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I use an arlec 4 amp charger with an auto setting this charges the battery and then turns off and on as the battery needs charge. I charge deep cycle batteries with it and have no probs. Here is a link

http://www.arlec.com.au/pdfs/battery_chargers.pdf

stevedemon
19-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi setthehook
mate so long as it is a 4amp charger you will have no worries just remember about 24 hrs or as griz066 has stated if you go the dearer charger you will get the auto system that turns it's self off mine is only from super cheaper about 5 yrs ago paid $24.95 and has never missed a beat the other one is about $60 - $110 dollars (i think) :-[ :-[ :-/ :-/

any of the 4amp's will do the job just make sure with any charger that you check them and the charging rate while charging along with the battery maintance top up water. :'( :'(

also rememberif you do not have a twin battery setup or isolation switch disconnect + terminal 8-) ::) ;D ;)

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

setthehook
19-09-2006, 02:25 PM
well i went and dug out my battery chargers and both are 4 amp chargers!! ;D So i might be ok and not have to buy one!! woohoo

Thanks for the help guys!!

finga64
19-09-2006, 02:27 PM
just make sure they're maintanance chargers. ie you can leave them connected.

finding_time
19-09-2006, 02:39 PM
I use a C-TEK charger which is the ducks nut for charging it not only charges in double quick time it also conditions the battery and can be left on indefinately at trickle so the batteries are always ready to go. It's has 24 amp input so both my 120 amp batteries can be charged from empty in 10 hours if needed the only down side of the charger is it's cost at approx $ 700.00 #:o

Ian

Here is the link.... www.ctek.com/

brettski3
19-09-2006, 08:24 PM
i use a 12 volt switchable 15 amp power supply, this can be adjusted for any amperage you want and reduces the amperage automatically when full great for quick charging. also has cigarette socket for running other items. you can get them from jaycar but not cheap, aroun 200 $. most chargers dony input anywhere near the amperage they state on the front and 4 amps from dead will take a bit longer than overnight for a full charge. especially marine and deep cycle batteries.

Obi___Wan
19-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Mate i was in the same boat about five years ago, just bought two dep cycle batteries for the min kota. Heard a lot about the 4 & 6 amp cheap chargers cooking the batteries so i did a lot of research. ;)
The good quality batteries are not cheap and chances are not worth taking as we are talking between 2 and 3 hundred dollars for each battery.

You have to look at the situation as you are buying fuel for motor so you need to take the right steps.

I had read somewhere about a special charger, one that is fitted permantly into the larger boats at mariners, when they come in to dock they just plug it in and the batteries are fully charged next time the boat goes out.

These chargers were called Baintech, i rang and spoke to a rep who reffered me to a woman named Goodie at Battery World in Southport. This woman has forgotten more about battery chargers than most people have known. I eventually bought one, about $450. It has been worth every cent as i am still running those two original deep cycle batteries and believe me they get a lot of work.

Cheers,
John.

Steven78
19-09-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.powersaver.com.au/smartchargers.htm
This is the charger that i am using we sell them at work for manly Commercial Applications but are very well suited for what you want.
20amp out put. I used it on the weekend 120AH was done to 25% and only took about 4 hours to charge.
PM if you want one as i might have to order them in.

Plasticin
28-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Steven78,

How much is that charger worth?

Fisherdan
26-10-2006, 09:17 AM
There is not a charger that im aware of that will do 6v/12v/24v affectively.

You are better off getting a charger for each type.
If you are someone that wants to leave your charger on a boat/car/bike for extended periods then use the one listed above by finding time.
Ctek have small maintenance chargers that are 800mA for 6v and 12volt and larger ones for charge and maintain. Like the 3600 or the 7000.. XS2500 if you have a spare 600bucks and want the best in the world.

if you use a multi voltage power supply you will not fully charge or condition the battery according to the way the battery manufacturers designed the battery.
If you put 12v into a 12v battery it will never be fully charged and will shorten its life. you must change the Volts and Amps according to a set charging cycle. otherwise you can half the life of a battery.
I have seen battery banks in sailing boats that were 8 years old and still going strong. with the right charger and or solar panel to keep them up to 100% charged and never left flat for more than a week or 2 you will get maximum life from your battery.
You need 14.1 to 14.4 volts and a charge curve to charge a battery. the charger will do maths inside to determine the correct Amps and Volts according to the state of the battery. Same with 6v.. put 6v into a 6v battery and you will not fully charge it.. to give an example. an alarm plug pack will put out 13.8v in order to keep the VRLA at 99% state of charge for standby use.
with 24volts you need 28.8 to 30v to reach full charge and also need to change the Volts and Amps in a set pattern to charge a battery properly.
otherwise you will sulphate the battery or shorten its life.

Hope this helps.

simon_wa
26-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Not sure if this will suit the job but have a look. I have this permanently mounted in the boat and just plug an extension cord into it after I've washed the boat until next time.

http://www.projecta.com.au/catalogue/cid/3/asset_id/15

1600ma output, maybe a little smaller than what your after, but suits me fine.

Simon

Fisherdan
26-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes i remember having one of those in my pocket game fisher years ago... couldnt kill it no matter how wet it got..
Wonder if they are the same as the old ones.. look the same. just have to watch water levels in wet batteries if connected for months at a time. like any charger.

one hint with them. hard wire with a lug and then spray your terminals with lanolin to stop corrosion.

and 1.6amp (1600ma) will top up a partially flat battery no worries.

good to see a great little product still around after such a long time in production.