PDA

View Full Version : Targa Tops on Consoles

SunnyCoastMark
02-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm planning on fitting a Targa Top to my Centre Console - which I made myself from 3mm Aluminium - Welded to False floor framing and raised front floor. So it is pretty well braced.

Had a boating "Guru" tell me on the weekend that it would "break my boat" ( a 4.5m Quintrex)
said even with travelling straps - the Targa will fatigue around the console welds and break it. :o

Any one had any issues like that with the after market Targa's (Ocean South) that you can buy from BCF, Whitworths, etc?

It would be great to know before i spend $339 on one. :)

Mark

SunnyCoastMark
03-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Has anyone had any problems with Targa's moving so much that it causes welds to break in the boat?

wessel
03-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Is it possible for a picture showing general overview and close-up of one of the welds?

The guys may then be better able to answer your questions.

Wessel

eimeo
03-10-2006, 08:07 PM
i have one of those $369 t-tops,i brought the large size.it gives fairly good sun protection and doesnt get in the way when fishing.The fingers can get squashed on the throttle by the uprights but after getting caught a few times you soon learn.It does flex but certainly holds up with me hanging on to it from time to time.
I think they are great value,i probably wouldnt go for the rocket launcher accessory after talking to a few guys
hope this helps

dave

Wear_the_fox_hat
03-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Hey Guys,
# I'm planning on fitting a Targa Top to my Centre Console - which I made myself from 3mm Aluminium - Welded to False floor framing and raised front floor. So it is pretty well braced.

Had a boating "Guru" tell me on the weekend that it would "break my boat" ( a 4.5m Quintrex)
said even with travelling straps - the Targa will fatigue around the console #welds and break it. :o

Any one had any issues like that with the after market Targa's (Ocean South) that you can buy from BCF, Whitworths, etc?

It would be great to know before i spend $339 on one. :)

Mark

I guarantee it will crack welds at the bottom of your console & also crack welds in your boats framing underneath the console. The console/targa will flex while travelling on your trailer & flex even more travelling on the water & this will be compounded more by the fact that you will be hanging onto the console when travelling on the water. Strapping & bracing WILL NOT stop the cracking, plus the more you brace it, the less your hull will flex & welds will crack elsewhere in the structure of your boat. Trust me, I've been there, done that. Hope this helps.

WTFH

wessel
04-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Ok, a bit off topic here but I could not help it.

WEAR THE FOX HAT ;D ;D ;D Somebody must have been on holiday in Scotland recently.

On a serious point - Mark, I reckon that metal fatigue will have an effect on the welds, especially when you think about the forces those welds will be exposed to. Over time those welds will crack due to the nature of the material used and the forces applied to it.

When you have a long pole welded to the floor, the forces are multiplied, basically a lever effect. You can offset the forces the welds are exposed to by adding a rigid support bracket on the console itself where you then will have the lever effect first having to act on the support and not directly onto the weld.
Cross bracing will minimize movement of the structure but the forces are still applied directly to the weld.

Hope it helps

Wessel

SunnyCoastMark
04-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,bugger! :(

I'm a fitter and turner by trade and have done a LOT of welding - both ally and steel, so I understand about stresses on welds etc. - Which is why I built the Console the way I did. There is even a forward seat welded to the front of the console and floor - so the "footprint" - if you like - of the console is quite large.

However, WTFH and Wessel - I take your point - sometimes you just need to hear a second and third opinion. - especially when you don't like to admit the truth! ;D

I just didn't want to go to the Bimini Top as you lose a bit of the centre consoles fishability.

Ah well - you can't have everything.

Mark

Wear_the_fox_hat
04-10-2006, 11:31 PM
SunnyCoastMark,
You will probably get away with fitting the centre console without the targa top, but still go the bimini as you learn to work around them & you do get used to them. I've played some big fish around them & it really isn't a drama. I'd rather have cover from the sun where possible, especially in summer. Just try & make sure you get a bimini that's got a bit of quality about it & it's not a cheap hunk of junk.

WTFH

rick_k
05-10-2006, 12:07 AM
I wonder what would happen if you braced and strapped it as you planned to, and deliberately introduced a hinging section in the uprights for the targa? Glass or Poly?

Spoke to the local marine fabricator who seems pretty cluey about canopy options for my tinny now we have a kid. He had the same advice about targas on consoles cracking with time, and also was not keen to fit a pole in sleeve arrangement to each corner to hang a tarp from.

suzygs1000
26-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Weld 200mm of al pipe vertically on to the middle front of your console, or the middle back of your seat box, if you have one. Drill a hole thru the pipe, half way down, and get a suitable captive pin to fit thru the hole. Then go to Bunnings and buy one of their timber 3 metre market umbrellas, and stick it in the pipe. You can run along with the umbrella folded, and put it up when you stop. Works a treat, and cheap to replace when the bugger up, as they invariable do (cheap rubbish!)

You must put the pin thru the umbrella, or kiss it goodbye in a strong breeze! They sink pretty bloody quick!

Dave.

Wear_the_fox_hat
27-10-2006, 08:56 PM
SUZYGS1000,
I don't care what anyone may reckon, that is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time!!!!!!!!

WTFH