PDA

View Full Version : FIRE EXTINGUISHERS YET AGAIN

Manjilad
24-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, 12 mths since I was "forced" to buy a new 1kg one because the required testing and tag stamping cost more than the purchase price of a new one. NOW I need a new one to replace my "new" one year old one ....... BIAS to their credit took it off me and said I don't need to buy one as they have been advised that the "water police" are only targeting extinguishers greater than 1kg in recognition of the rediculous situation of anually testing 1kg ones.
Can anyone update me on current laws, any changes since last year, what they do, VMR recommendations? what should I do?
If this above advice is true, just when should I buy a new one? (some are warranted for 6 yrs!)
cheers from ... still confused! :o

propdinger
25-10-2006, 08:37 AM
buy one with NO date stamp and you cant get hit for retesting every year or buy one with alot more than 1 year between testing mine has 6 years

finga64
25-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Until it's in writing about longer periods before testing get a new one.
A 6 year warantee is different to testing periods.
I'd hazzard a guess that in the fine print the 6 year warantee excludes marine use because of corrosion risk. But I could be, and most probably, wrong.

It amases me that they (MSB http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/SLS/2006/06SL019.pdf) say you need to keep your equipement in test but extingushers are still sold without a tag. How do they know that the extingusher isn't 25 years old and been seal in a bag??

And for $20 a year for a 1kg model who really cares about the cost. One of my boats is under 5m and I don't really require one but I get two new ones every birthday. One for "Junior", one for the big boat. We have a heap in the shed and the big boat always gets 2 in it. 1 new, 1 last years.

That's less then a slab of beer or close to the cost of a pack of fags or 1/3 tank of petrol for the car for each one.

Just my 2 bob's worth. :)

Danthefireman
27-10-2006, 09:51 AM
You need to get the extinguisher checked as per Australian standards every 6 months, then your yearly and pressure test dates. It is law and there is no excuse not to have done. Its like flares, the gauge could be faulty, the powder could have settled, the head might explode in your face etc.

Grand_Marlin
27-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Law is Law ... no matter how ridiculous it seems at times.

As far as Bias being advised that the Police aren't targeting 1kg extinguishers really doesnt mean anything ... it was the same deal as flares.

Until it is changed in the legislation, it remains law ... so replace it every 12 months and keep the old ones at home in the kitchen / car etc... not likely to get checked there ;D

As far as date stamps go, you get these when they are re certified ... but until then, you have to be able to produce a receipt that proves the purchase date.

Cheers

Pete

Feral
27-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah a bit wierd, was told that even though I dont need a fire extinguisher in my boat (its in the sweet zone at 4.9m - no compulsory wearing of life jackets for kids, (so they can take em off when we are drifting) but no fire extinguisher), I have been told that if I am carrying an extinguisher that is out of date I can get pinched.

Which is a shame because I still have some old yellow BCF units which are great in boats - put anything out, and no messy powder!.

Kerry
27-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I don't see what this big drama with fire extinguishers is all about and why would anybody be buying a new extinguisher every 12 months is totally out of line.

It would appear that boat shops should be bypassed as they would appear to have no clue what is going on.

Go to a fire extinguisher place (like Chubb fire) and get an extinguisher that will be tested and tagged before you leave and from here on in it's then only about 9 bucks a year to have the thing re-tested and tagged up until its max cylinder life.

Replacing the whole works every 12 months is ridiculous.

Regards, Kerry.

Grand_Marlin
27-10-2006, 08:00 PM
G'day Kerry,

Are you sure $9 ? it would be great if it is, as it would make sense to retest them...

I was told (second hand info) that it was $60 to retag :-? that is 3 times what it costs to but a new onewhich is crazy.

Cheers

Pete

Graham_N_Roberts
27-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Feral, you still have BCF's :-? :-[ errr .... get rid of the things before ya get pinched. ;)

They have been illegal for a few years now ... because they are dangerous in confined spaces and they are part of the reason for stuffing up the ozone layer.

Cheers

Kerry
27-10-2006, 08:24 PM
In mid August (this year 2006 as usual as legislation says I must for boat and vehicles) it cost me $39.60 to test and tag 4 extinguishers, 2 @ 1kg of one brand and 2 @ 0.9kg of another brand, all done by one particular manufacturer of the 1kg models as anybody who knows their fire extinguishers will realize who makes what models? Basically that is $9 each plus GST!

Obviously someone is spreading misinformation and having people buy bloody new fire extinguishers every year! Good perk I suppose if you make fire extingushers or even worse sell them!

Actually I had one of those fisheries characters ask one of their stupid questions not so long ago, wanted to see my fire extinguisher, which I duly pointed too, tagged? of course it is! Then he suggested it was not really big enough for a 6m vessel? SO there's another one in the cabin, that makes 2, one for each motor! The he says maybe that is not enough? Ok then you tell me what YOU would fight 500 litres of fuel with to which there was dull silence.

It's not a real brainer when one has an issue with 500 litres if fuel there is no fire extinguisher in hell that will handle that, not that will fit on a 6m boat anyway.

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry
27-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Feral, you still have BCF's :-? #:-[ #errr .... get rid of the things before ya get pinched. #;)

They have been illegal for a few years now ... because they are dangerous in confined spaces and they are part of the reason for stuffing up the ozone layer.

Cheers

BCF? Well illegal? yes sort off, just depends doesn't it! but there still is nothing even in this day and age that can match the fire fighting capability of a BCF extinguisher and if ever you happen to fly sometime or close up and personal with a recue helicopter just take a peek at what extinguisher is fitted #;) # highly likely it will be yellow? Confined spaces? you know there's not to many worse confined spaces then being stuck in a chopper on fire!

Poseidon
28-10-2006, 08:44 AM
BCF extinguishers have been off the market in Australia for many years. Same as Halon 1301 fixed suppression systems for engine and computer rooms. They had to be be replaced with alternate agents for the reason that they were ozone depleting.

As Kerry touched on above the ONLY industries, in Australia, that can still use BCF or Halon is aviation and defence.

Do yourselves a favour and ensure that if you purchase an extinguisher go for one that is fitted with a discharge hose. The hose can redirect the powder up, down or around any obstacle that may stop the powder getting to the seat of the fire. Example, try getting your extinguisher to direct the powder up underneath your console whilst keeping the cylinder upright ( it won't work real well if the cylinder is upside down).

Throw away those cheap 1kg units and get yourself something around the 2.5kg size with a hose.

Regards Cameron.