PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass fuel tanks. Comments pls.

johnnytheone
28-10-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm thinking of making a f'glass (petrol) tank. I've seen a couple of them around. I take it they are ok. Any comments/advice? Thanks... John.

Roughasguts
28-10-2006, 06:23 PM
My old man had one in his boat even after 30 years no problems with it.
But that was a 20 gallon tank up high hidden under the rear deck of the transom.

So it never sat in water and had plenty of air circulation.

johnnytheone
28-10-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm thinking of making a f'glass (petrol) tank. I've seen a couple of them around. I take it they are ok. Any comments/advice? Thanks... John.

blaze
28-10-2006, 06:29 PM
yes
need to use the correct resin. Normally built into the hull of the boat so you gain extra literige for a given area.
Local builder is doing quite a few each year now for vessels that are in survey
cheers
blaze

Chimo
28-10-2006, 06:34 PM
I had one that was above deck and had a split seat over a space that held a large fish bin. It was great, never leaked and provided a good centre seat and storage area. nb YOU DO NEED THE RIGHT RESIN ::)

Go for it ;D ;)

Cheers

Chimo

Grand_Marlin
28-10-2006, 08:10 PM
and make sure it meets australian standards so as you dont have any insurance worries

Kerry
29-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Countries that have gone ethanol in a big way (like most of the U.S) have some rather nasty issues with FG fuel tanks and ethanol. You really need some proper professional advice as to FG requirements and ethanol, that is of course unless to can absolutely guarantee you will never by chance or choice use ethanol fuels.

Regards, Kerry.