PDA

View Full Version : canoe rod holders

nuggstar
28-10-2006, 10:05 PM
i need some rod holders 4 my rosco canoe can any one tell me the best way to make or mount them in a 16 ft canadian
(I have heaps of pvc pipe to use if that helps) any idears ausfishers please :-?

The_Walrus
29-10-2006, 08:40 PM
I've tried all of these at various times

1. Simply bolt them through the sides.
2. Use suitable size Ubolts around the cross members
3. Install a workbench across the gunnels and mount your rod holders on it.
4. Same as #3 but on a on the lid of a storage box secured inside the canoe.

What ever you do, it's got to be convenient for your particular style of canoeing/fishing.

I'm currently building a new #3 version so I can mount a sounder, 2 rod holders and a tagging space. You can make it removable so it does not interefere with sliding the canoe on/off the roof racks.

Luc

GBC
30-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I just use bullbar mounted racks on mine - ally crossmember is the same o.d.
Sounder is mounted on the same crossmember. Very simple setup, and no need to break it all down for transport or storage - just swivel the rod holder around and nothing sits proud.
C.J.

Gigantor
18-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Nuggstar,

I had a 15 foot Rosco canoe a couple of years back. I put 2 fixed rod holders on it without making any holes in the fibreglass.

I simply used U bolts wide enough to go around the cross beams of the canoe after I put some wraps of cloth around the cross beam to protect it. Used 2 U bolts for each rod holder and bolted straight into the rod holder base. I use the cheap removeable type rod holder that is black but has the white locking collar. Once the rod holder was removed the mounting base sat below the top lip of the canoe. Worked like a charm.

I also had a piece of stainless steel plate made up that fitted to the side canoe lip and then rtested down onto the cross beam, which I attached my portable sounder to. Worked well.

Sadly I can't find any pictures of the canoe to display what I did I'm sorry. I sold it in Nov 06.

Cheers,

Pete

BrandonH
18-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey Nug, I was after something myself awhile back when using a 16' Colman. My mother in law found something over seas that actually worked Very well!! below you can just see it over my knee. I do have a better shot of it mounted somewhere but can't find it:(

They swivel around so the rod will sit at 90deg or 45 from the side, Also when a fish hits you just grab the rod and lift it stright up outa the holder;) they are made from cast iron, I think you can get them with a coating for Salt water work but I give mine a wash after each trip. they arn't looking as good as they did new but they still work just as well (they are around 5 years old now)!!

Since moving to a tinny I have been able to use them on it as well!! only thing is it has to be mounted to the oar mounts on the side as it needs somewhat of a flat surface to mount to. here is a link to the mob that sell them too. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=16793&sc1=Search&feat=sr
http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/images/NundaFlathead.jpg

cheers
Brandon..

PS: bait caster reels won't sit in them the right way (thanks to the pistol grip) but you can still use them with the reel clipped in behind the housing.

nuggstar
23-06-2008, 03:22 PM
thanks for all the help guys but i have one more problem some one stole my canoe. if you see a big black 16 ft canoe on the water around the sunnie coast please let me no where you sore it.

TimiBoy
23-06-2008, 03:40 PM
You are kidding! And when you find them and smack the snot out of them it's your fault? Go figure.

You have my sympathy, I hope you get it back,

Tim

BrandonH
24-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Thats terrible Nug!!! post up a pic of it if you have one... I won't be up the coast for awhile but will certainly look out for it for you.

Also might be worth posting it in the stolen / missing section on Ausfish, you might get more coverage then too;)

cheers
Brandon...