PDA

View Full Version : Removing scuff marks and polishing

bidkev
29-10-2006, 04:07 PM
I was told by a professional to use septone Drifter Gel Coat Restorer to remove rust stains and scuff marks caused by fenders and rollers. I have since been told that this product is primarily for use in removing "yellowing" from white fibre glass and will remove any wax and sheen present on the boat.

The boat is only 12 months old. What is your preferred product for removing scuff marks? Is there a product that will wax at the same time?

cheers

kev

Roughasguts
29-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Any polish will get scuff marks off.

But for a big black rubber chunky scuff, you can use WD 40 it's full of solvents and will remove the mark easily, from glass.

But if it's on your white gunwall rubber, that is bloody hard to clean,
for that I use 800 wet and dry paper water and detergent.

gawby
29-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Geeezzzz Kev,

Gone rusty sitting on the trailer hey. :-? :-? :-?

Get off your bum and go fishing in it then. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Graeme ;)

bidkev
29-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Geeezzzz Kev,

Gone rusty sitting on the trailer hey. :-? :-? :-?

Get off your bum and go fishing in it then. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Graeme ;)

I'd love to Graeme.............can you speak to the man upstairs about the wind ::) ;D

Nah mate, the back mounting ladder was cut off to make a gate for the marlin board and they didn't polish the stump up well enough. As for the scuff marks........I'm buggered if I know where they come from as I always use fenders and they're right where the fenders hang. White boat.......white fenders..........black scuff marks! :o Got me stumped :-/

kev

Grand_Marlin
29-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Things like acetone or metho quite often work well on rubber based compunds.

Jif household cleanser is very good on fibreglass.

Automotive cut n polish works well too.....

Failing that - 1200 wet n dry, used wet will definitely fix it, then cut n polish & re-wax

Ask Blackened ... he is the resident detailer

Cheers

Pete

Blackened
29-10-2006, 07:22 PM
G'day Kev
Mate, after the acid washes I peform on boats, all scuff marks remain. The acid is not meant to remove these.

The scuff marks are generally plastic based, usually from pontoons or fenders or similar structures.

To remove: Acetone is fine, just keep it localised and scrape with a plastic edge or fingernail as the plastic melts if it's thick, and if it's thin the acetone will straight dissolve it.

Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover by meguiars, it's a cut and polish designed for fibreglass, this is what I use for cutting back fibreglass and 2 pac, and also removing the scuff marks. Just rub some on with a towel (I use a nappy.... yes a clean unused cloth one) to remove the marks witb a physical means.

Wichever step you follow, do this afterwards. Seal the ares up with One Step Cleaner and Wax - this will seal the area, deepen and lengthen the life of the gloss and protection.

Hope it's been some help.

Dave

bidkev
30-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the responses fellers and in particular, thanks Dave for your in depth explanation.

kev

PinHead
30-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi Kev...for the fenders..buy cloth fender covers..put them on my fenders and not a mark from them anymore..got them at Glascraft