PDA

View Full Version : ulp v pulp

fisha63
03-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Any opinion's for and against on using pulp petrol over ulp....I tried some pulp in my 60 hp mariner 2 stroke and it seemed to run sweeter alround????????????? :-/

onerabbit
03-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Check your owners manual, if you have it. Most of the newer motors seem to be designed to run on premium.

Muzz

stevedemon
03-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi fisha63
i always use pulp for my 2stroke and have found it runs cleaner and sweeter i am running a 115hp Yamaha 89 model
tried ulp once never again

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Glenn_Woods
04-10-2006, 04:02 AM
I have a 2007 150 hp yamaha 4stroke. Just got it's 10 hour service last week. I have only run it on ULP. Got 190 km's per 100 lts. Would my economy improve with PULP or be the same.

Woodsy

marlinqld
04-10-2006, 05:22 AM
ULP for me in my 2003 75HP 2 stroke MAriner. Never been a drama, runs sweet as.

Mike

fisha63
04-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Fellas...I'll use the local BP ulp... it's 93 RON...sort of in between ...not that it will probably make any difference..............Jason.... :)

Croweater
04-10-2006, 08:20 AM
I always use PULP. If for some reason thye boat doesnt get used for a couple of months, it keeps better.

Croweater
04-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Sorry, that's not entirely right.

Both fuels will deteriorate over time but, because the PULP starts at a higher RON, it will, over the same period of time have a higher RON at the end.

And you dont know how long the fuel has been sitting in storage before it goes into your boat as well.

I think I've just confused myself.

wessel
04-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Glen

How come it is a 2007 model? ::)

Wessel

John_R
04-10-2006, 01:37 PM
I put PULP in my Johnson 115 2 stroke. Seems to run smoother and get better fuel economy. I have not been able to substantiate the fuel economy becuase each trip is different etc.

I only use Vortex. Have heard some horror stories about Optimax in both boats and bikes.

Regards

John

Ron173
04-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Advised by dealer not to use PULP, too many unknown additives in it that could attack seals in fuel system.

Also advised no benefit in it, like feeding strawberries to pigs,

just my experience

I run with a couple of boats that use it, and swear by it,

I wouldnt unless engine manufacturer specifically says so, especially under warranty

ULP is the designated for most engines and its exy enough

if it gives you a feelgood factor, use it

StevenM
04-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Premium

5 cents on 50 litres... 2bucks50 whats that...nothin

seems to get more out of a tank...as far as run better, dont notice any difference

Cheers

Steven

littlejim
04-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I run ULP in mine as recommended by the manufacturer - I find it runs 'cleaner and sweeter'.

DazSamFishing
04-10-2006, 10:20 PM
I ran PULP in my merc 4 stroke... I found I got better fuel economy... It is very hard to notice the difference... Just make sure you refer to the owners manual... My new boat will be fitted with a new 175hp Verado... and advises that I used PULP.

Daz

Coontakinta
05-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Guys I wondered this question many times over for both the car and the boat.

Have sworn that my 88 VL commodore runs further on a tank of 98RON PULP than standard ULP and with this in mind wanted a fuel injected outboard for my new rig. initially I wanted a 4 stroke but could not find a suitable motor in the horsepower I wanted. I was forced to look further into DI.

I went with DI in the end, a 90hp TLDI. The owners manual specifies 87RON fuel. I querried the benifits of Premium PULP (there is a difference) and initially was told yes it would make a difference to performance and ecconomy. When I picked up the new rig, I was told not to use it as the octane and cleaner burn may infact enhance engine wear. Now this wear would not neccessarily reduce engine life dramatically but it would all the same. (had something to do with washing away the oil)

I later asked the question of timing on these DI motors, as the modern motor car will adjust its timming to accomodate the higher octane fuel, and whether or not the timming can be adjusted either manually or automatically as in the motor car. The answer was no, they are set to run on 87RON and anything else would not be benifical.

As a result, I run ULP except when I have had the fuel onboard sitting for a longer period than normal then I may add some 98RON PULP to the tank to "freshen" it up a bit.

I also used to run it in my 96 25hp Johno, but cant say I've seen any noticable difference between the way it runs on either fuel.

Rod_Bender
10-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Premium is far the better product, especially if its sitting their for 1-3 weeks unused. Runs smoother, quieter and less coughing.

ozscott
10-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Whilst the RON stays in the better range longer..ie it starts of higher so does not get to critically low level as quickly, I have read from marine mechanics on the Iboats.com website that PULP is not good for traditional (including oil injected) 2 strokes. Have a search of that site - its a regular topic.

Glenn_Woods
31-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Hi wessel. Better late than never.
It's a 2007 model because Gladstone Marine had no more 2006 models and could not get hold of one. So they got me the latest model, 2007 for an extra $200 on my 2006 quote.

Woodsy

Roughasguts
31-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Guy's if I ain't used me boat for weeks I will give it pulp, to freshen up and the cleaning additives are pretty good. Yes it runs better and probably uses less fuel couple of Tee spoons a KM I think.

Buuuut then go back to the ULP what the motor was designed for.

I am also worried about the rumours and possibly some facts that the PULP creates more Carbon build up behind rings and inside inlet valves.

Sure this stuff wet is a good cleaner for fuel lines also washes your bore a little better (Not a good Thing) But i'm worried about the extra carbon the PULP seems to produce when it Burns.

It's early days yet but when some motors start to get there rebuild done
I think you will find extra, and early damage from using PULP only, in comparrison to ULP only.

Kerry
31-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Tha handbook will outline the octane rating required, exceeding this serves no real purpose other than wasting money.

Now that some PULP is being loaded with ethanol then this is another reason to stay clear of these particular blends as far as boats are concerned.

ULP and PULP are totally different burning fuels and most outboards (not all) are only low compression engines.

Do what the handbook states.

Regards, Kerry.