PDA

View Full Version : Extracting Nut off Steering Wheel

Smelly
28-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Team!

How do I remove the 24mm nut holding the wheel onto the shaft?

There is a round plate (about 65mm dia) with two square notches @90 degrees apart next to the shaft..

Any advice much appreicated.. ;) ;)

blaze
28-10-2006, 01:36 PM
most steering wheel retaining nuts have a nylock nut (domed sort of on top, you can see the nylon in between top of nut and thread), if its like this, just put a socket on it and hold the wheel and undo. I am thinking what you are descibing is the metal hub in the midle of the wheel.
cheers
blaze

BilgeBoy
28-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi Smelly

Can you post a picture...

If you are trying to get the steering wheel off. Counter clockwise to undo the nut...undo it until the top of the nut is flush with the top of the shaft. Then give the wheel a tap back towards you. They lock on pretty good sometimes. It can help to pull the wheel back towards you while wobble from side to side. A bit of WD40 before can help.

You leave the nut on the shaft to avoid knocking yourself arse over when the wheel comes off! Failing that you may need a puller!

Hope this helps!!

Megsy

Deiter
28-10-2006, 01:51 PM
G'day Smelly, Further to what Bilge Boy said, i undertook this task about 3 weeks ago, and mine was stuck solid. :-?

I managed to get mine off the same way you would the steering wheel of a car; if you undo the nut and the wheel still won't come, get your knees or whatever behind the wheel and pull as you tap the shaft w/ a hammer.
It is a good idea to use a bit of alloy or brass between hammer and shaft when tapping.

I tapped mine and it laughed at me, so i banged it and it came. Only problem was that i damaged the thread on the end of the shaft and couldn't get the nut started again without crossthreading it. That sux. I ended up having to get a thread file and tidying up the mess i made. An experience best avoided.
Good luck.

Damo

newchum
28-10-2006, 03:40 PM
G'day Smelly, Further to what Bilge Boy said, i undertook this task about 3 weeks ago, and mine was stuck solid. #:-?

I managed to get mine off the same way you would the steering wheel of a car; if you undo the nut and the wheel still won't come, get your knees or whatever behind the wheel and pull as you tap the shaft w/ a hammer.
It is a good idea to use a bit of alloy or brass between hammer and shaft when tapping.

I tapped mine and it laughed at me, so i banged it and it came. Only problem was that i damaged the thread on the end of the shaft and couldn't get the nut started again without crossthreading it. That sux. I ended up having to get a thread file and tidying up the mess i made. An experience best avoided.
Good luck.

Damo
next time don't take the nut off just undo it a few turns use the same method with a brass drift and you won't have a problem with burring the thread

Deiter
28-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanx newchum, but that info would have been handy about 3 weeks ago ;)

Its not a bad idea to put a bit of never-seize on the shaft before replacing the wheel either.

Damo

Smelly
28-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanls boys.

Will send a pic.

Stay tuned..

Smelly
28-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Tried everything excpet for the special brass tool.... :'( :'(

Here are the picis..

Smelly
28-10-2006, 06:33 PM
another

Smelly
28-10-2006, 06:35 PM
another

Smelly
28-10-2006, 06:35 PM
another

Smelly
28-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Significance of the square holes...?

If I pull any harder, I am scared the helm will break out..

Thoughts ::)

Roughasguts
28-10-2006, 07:08 PM
The square holes 90 deg apart are for the steering woodroffe key.
They lock the steering wheel other wise it would just spin on the shaft and they also allow a slight alignment so your steering wheel looks straight when the motor is centralised.

Mate I had to get a gear puller on mine I think a 4 prong one from Kmart is around 20 bucks.

Roughasguts
28-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Other thing you could try is a bucket of very hot water pour that on, and give it a yank, don't like your chances though.

But before you do that put that nut back on 2 turn, or lose some teeth.

Smelly
28-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Damnation!

What is this gear puller thing - name and what does it look like?

Is that a washer I see at the base of the plate? #I cannot get it off either..! :-/

Is it this washer thing that is preventing the wheel from coimg loose?

impulse492f
28-10-2006, 07:57 PM
This is a gear puller

http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/200000/207900/207937/Products/10692998.jpg

You put the prongs around the back of the wheel and the threaded center rod on the middle of the helm bolt (center of the wheel) then wind the end with a shifter until it "pops".

You can also get 4 pronged pullers.

I'd soak it in WD40/Inox overnight, partly screw the nut back on say 3/4. If you can get a good swing with a hammer strike the nut hard and pull the wheel left/right as you hit the nut. If you can't get a good swing you could try using a socket smaller then the nut on a socket extension then hit the end of the extension.

It will take a good wack.

banshee
28-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Before you buy anything put the nut back on nearly all the way and pull back/out on the steering wheel while someone hits the top of the nut with a hammer,start with a couple of firm taps ang go up from there.

blaze
28-10-2006, 09:18 PM
put the nut back on until it is level with the top of the shaft, this now requires a second person. Person one pulls back on the steering wheel, hands 180 degrees apart with all their strengh with a steasy preasure. Person 2, using a drift bigger than the diameter of the shaft, holds the drift SQUARELY onto the shaft and gives it a good hard hit with a 2 lb hammer. It may take a couple of hits as the shaft is tapered as well as keyed. If you dont hold the drift SQUARE it may damage or compress the last thread or 2 but if you work the nut backwards and foward when the metal part of the nut gets to that part of the thread it will self clean the damaged thread. Then just debur it with a file before reassembling. As already stated a bit of antisieze/grease is a good idea before reassembling.
cheers
blaze
ps
I dont like the idea of using a puller as the wheel isnt designed to be pulled off that way and if extremely tight will damage the wheel.

Smelly
28-10-2006, 09:47 PM
WHy does everything seem difficult on boats :-/

Maybe it's just me........... :-[

frankj
28-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Smelly

I f I remember right, The wheel is a taper fit on to the helm shaft, this is in addition to the woodroffe key/s. It will release all of a sudden so refitting the nut prior to any major pulling effort is a good safety first idea.
If you get a mate to help, you could try the 'when I nod my head you hit it' approach. Alternatively you could swing the hammer yourself and hit his head.

Personally, I think a hub puller is the way to go.

Cheers

Roughasguts
28-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Mate every thing is dificuilt to get off on boats cause it gives you practice for the more dificuilt stuff that breaks, like bolt heads.

So Smelly why do you wan't to get the steering wheel off?

I took mine off to see if I could centralise it better, then I found I couldn't so it just went straight back on again.

marshy
28-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi smelly , did the same job a few months back. Follow the advice Blaze gives in his last post, he is spot on,forget about the puller - it wont work with that wheel. regards.
marshy

Deiter
29-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Smelly, in order to get this wheel off, forget the puller, it will only tear plastic unless the the wheel has a steel base going to the edge. Even then you would probably only break the casting.

Remember, steering wheels on boats are notoriously stubborn. No room for girly blouse's or frilly knickers here.
Keep repeating this little phrase as you follow Blaze's instructions to the letter;

"Brute force and ignorance wins every time."

Now go to town on that sucker!!!

Damo

Smelly
29-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Guts, I want to tremove wheel because I want to replace it with a larger dia and straighter wheel.

OK - guys - TOday is Sunday so I will give it another try.. :(

bay_firey
29-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Smelly,

Go with Blaze's instructions, put the nut on to level with shaft and with force on the wheel give it a good tap with a hammer. Works a treat.

Just be SURE to put the nut on BEFORE using the hammer or you WILL damage the thread.

remember the old chinese proverb - If in Doubt clout, and if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer. ;)

DNO40
29-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Mark (Bay Firey),

You must have been a butcher before Hardware and Real Estate.

DNO

Roughasguts
29-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Smelly if brute force don't work then go the puller. Cause you gonna toss the wheel anyway.
It worked on mine and no damage to the wheel even though I seen it squeeze up.

Heres a tip with the puller you may need to use a decent Zip tie, to hold the claws on the steering wheel just wrap it around the 3-4 claws to hold there position, otherwise they may tend to come off.

And when the steering wheel lets go be prepared for an almighty crack
It will frighten the sh!t out of you.

newchum
29-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Smelly

I f I remember right, The wheel is a taper fit on to the helm shaft, this is in addition to the woodroffe key/s. # #It will release all of a sudden so refitting the nut prior to any major pulling effort is a good safety first idea. #
If you get a mate to help, you could try the 'when I nod my head you hit it' approach. #Alternatively you could swing the hammer yourself and hit his head.

Personally, I think a hub puller is the way to go.

Cheers
smelly if it is taper fit and you use the puller you will still need to wack the top of the puller to break the taper(wonder if the bigger wheel is worth it) :-/

BilgeBoy
29-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Smelly

That looks like some sort of retaining clip.....does it go all the way around (hard to tell in the picture)! If it does...does it have a gap in it at all.,,or is it perfectly round like a washer!???

Megsy

Smelly
29-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Boys!

I got the fuker off! ;D

Still lauging - some 2 hours after.. ;D

My brother came around - and he is usually very determined in every thing he does so I asked him to yank the wheel off for me. Well after a few voilent tugs - it came off.

And, guess who did'nt put the nut back on..... 8-)

He landed on his back somwehre between the two(2) front seats with legs in the air still holding the wheel wiht both hands - and a cheesy smile on my face 8-)

I knew I could rely on him...... ;)

Thanks for all your input fellas.

Smelly

youngfisho
30-10-2006, 01:24 AM
my old man was faced with this very same dilema about two weeks ago. Anyway the nut was locked solid and with the help of a cold chizel he tried hammering it off. He ended up slipping and hit his wrist watch with the hammer instead. It drove the wrist band into his radial artery.

With a subsequent spirting of blood and a few choice words the old man put pressure directly over his wrist and said to wifey - need to go to the emergency dept. Well by the time he got there. The bleeding had stopped and he was able to return home.

Silly fool. I think he ended up taking the nut off.

But let that be a lesson to everyone, dont use a cold chizel to remove the nut

andrew

Roughasguts
30-10-2006, 02:11 AM
About time to Smelly, Hey at least you got a laugh out of it.
You bastard, you got a cruel streak when it comes to your brother.

Youngfisho, I thought that was funny! until I realised I done lots of things like that too............. Geez i'm lucky to be alive come to think of it.

Willdoe
30-10-2006, 04:27 AM
From memory the shaft is tapered and the center of the wheel has a matching taper. It has a wodruff key to locate the wheel in position as previously mentioned. When the nut is tightened it pulls the wheel down on the taper and this is what takes some releasing (its wedged on).
You need to exert force to break the joint by pulling the wheel in the off direction while pushing in the opposite on the shaft, normally a sharp rap with a hammer on the shaft will do it.

Wheel pullers are a device with a number of hooked legs (usually 2 to 4) hanging off a central plate or frame. They hook behind the back of the center hub of the wheel. A central bolt in the plate or frame is screwed down on the shaft which pulls the wheel in the off direction, providing the force required to break the joint. I recommend you don't apply too much force or you might break the plastic of the wheel. Better to apply a little then a sharp rap on the top of the bolt with your hammer.

Sorry can't explain a puller any better but if you go to an Auto shop they will point you in the right direction.

If that ring around the shaft doesn't go right round it could be a circlip which may need to be sprung off. If it is, I doubt they would use both a circlip and a taper to lock the wheel.
Willdoe

Smelly
30-10-2006, 05:56 AM
What are brothers for.... :)

finga64
30-10-2006, 07:56 AM
:)
And not a video camera in sight...bugger :)

Smelly
30-10-2006, 05:47 PM
yeah - but I am sure everyone can picture it...

lying on the boat on his back still holding the wheel with both hands..... ;D

BilgeBoy
30-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Smelly glad to see you finally got that sucker off. I pulled an EH wheel off so hard once that it left a red line accross me forhead for 2 days...Near knocked myself out!! :D ;D

blaze
30-10-2006, 09:58 PM
I am glad you have it off but I dont understand the humour in the potentially dangerous postion you have placed yourself and your brother in, do you realise that an accident like that can cripple someone for life. Most of the posts recommended you leave the nut on so this type of thing doesnt happen, please take on board what people with some experience are trying to do when they offer advice.
Remember safety above all else.
cheers
blaze

Smelly
30-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Too right Blaze. No mallice intended. He is my identical twin and love him dearly..

It was silly of me..

And safety is paramount!

THanks
Smelly

Roughasguts
30-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Too right Blaze. #No mallice intended. #He is my identical twin and love him dearly..

It was silly of me..

And safety is paramount!

THanks
Smelly

Oh I get it, Twins eh.

Watch your back Smelly, you know what is around the corner dont you!

Smelly
31-10-2006, 06:10 AM
Yes - Paybacks are BASTARDS! :-[

sandsy
31-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Mate, I can't tell you how to get the nut off, but when you do, be careful getting the wheel off. They work themselves on pretty tight, and you will have to use a bit of mucle to get it off. Just be aware, that once it comes free, it will be being pulled directly towards your schnoz! Just be ready to stop pulling once it lets go.

I have seen my old man break his nose with a detached steering wheel!
Funny for me, but not for him!

Cheers
Sandsy

sandsy
31-10-2006, 09:38 PM
When working on cars, I usually leave the nut on one turn, and then pull the steering wheel off. The Nut will prevent the wheel from damaging your face.

Cheers Sandsy