PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your outboard

Wal555
30-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Folks,

I have a new outboard and am keen to keep it in tip top condition. Flushing and cleaning the exterior are easy but I was wondering how to keep inside the cowling clean. Should I wash it with water then dry off with air from my compressor or should I just spray everything with inox.

Cheers

Wal.

novice23
30-10-2006, 09:30 AM
If you want to wash it i'd only use a trickle of water followed by some inox... BUT stay away from any wiring and more importantly your air intake. Otherwise, get in there with an inox covered rag.

kleyny
30-10-2006, 10:34 AM
i use inox or wd40 everytime i come back
you can buy it in can form or by the leter and put it in a squirt bottle on mist spray this way is cheaper in the long run ;)
kleyny

blaze
30-10-2006, 10:42 AM
the thing about compressed air is that it will cause water to ingress into places that water would not normally get. Around any machinery/mechanic type thing the least amount of water/air pressure to do the job the better, so for me a light misting type spray is the prefered way.
I have never washed the engine on an outboard unless I am going to perform some rather serious work on it, much prefer to just wipe down with a soft cloth and a spray of lanolin.
The externals I wash down with a mist of fresh water and a couple of times a year it gets the soap suds and a polish ever blue moon.
The best way to look after your outboard is frequent use, the more the better. (said in all seriousness)
cheers
blaze

Chimo
30-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Also best not to spray your plug leads etc; advice from master tech who services my motors

Cheers

Chimo

Roughasguts
30-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Hot soapy water, the car wash wax type, with out any salt.

Hit it with me Stihl blower, that be quicker than the compressor and dry the whole boat.

When dry spray the motor with penetrol every two years, no sticky muck around my motor, Except for throttle gear selector, I use spray grease, of whats lying around.

Then spray with armour all the plastic parts.

Black_Jack
30-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I usually just spray it with inox...

Bay+Beyond
30-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Wal,

I normally flush mine with the ear muffs to get the motor warm.
Then boil the kettle and poor this over the block etc,(watch the air intake) The boiling water will remove the salt deposits, and being so hot it evaprates quickly, just blow any pooling water off. After about 5 minutes it should all be dry then hit it with inox.

Cheers
Thommo

ozlongboarder
30-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Fresh water flush, then I hose the outside down with a the hose set on spray so as not to blast water into places it should not go. I then use a water dispersant like WD40 but I buy the cheap stuff from the dollar store (tip from head mech at local marina) and spray the leg down and spray the under the cowl every second trip and wipe off the excess.

fishing_mik
30-10-2006, 06:16 PM
inox is what i use once a month i wouldnt be to keen sraying water in there

mik

Decimator
30-10-2006, 06:49 PM
has anyone else heard that inox can deteoriate wiring and leads over time. got told by a suzuki mechanic and was told to use rp7. food for thought...

impulse492f
30-10-2006, 06:59 PM
A lot of people use Inox, what about Lanox? Its Inox with Lanolin, just what the doctor ordered.

Spaniard_King
30-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Lanox.. read below

DIFFERENT USE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN LANOX & INOX

Many people have asked me, “Why did I bring out another anti-corrosion lubricant when I had the best product of this type INOX, already on the market”. The answer is quite simple, sure INOX will cover most of the applications most of the times where an anti-corrosion lubricant is required, but there are times when a heavier, longer lasting anti-corrosion lubricant is needed to do the job. 4 years reseach and testing went into LANOX before I brought it out on the market.

LANOX and INOX about 70% of the time can be used in the same application, INOX being more suitable for the lighter applications such as for electrical, hobbies and the food processing industry (type ‘A’ food grade approved,
AQIS) and LANOX suitable for the more extreme climatic and high humidity conditions. We have found that INOX may affect some of the more modern natural rubber products with long continual use, LANOX doesn’t have this
affect. I have set out in the following applications where LANOX & INOX are best suited. These are the most common applications of use for each product.

DIFFERENT USE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN LANOX & INOX

Many people have asked me, “Why did I bring out another anti-corrosion lubricant when I had the best product of this type INOX, already on the market”. The answer is quite simple, sure INOX will cover most of the applications most of the times where an anti-corrosion lubricant is required, but there are times when a heavier, longer lasting anti-corrosion lubricant is needed to do the job. 4 years reseach and testing went into LANOX before I brought it out on the market.

LANOX and INOX about 70% of the time can be used in the same application, INOX being more suitable for the lighter applications such as for electrical, hobbies and the food processing industry (type ‘A’ food grade approved,
AQIS) and LANOX suitable for the more extreme climatic and high humidity conditions. We have found that INOX may affect some of the more modern natural rubber products with long continual use, LANOX doesn’t have this
affect. I have set out in the following applications where LANOX & INOX are best suited. These are the most common applications of use for each product.

John W Chardon CEO
Candan Industries Pty. Ltd.

INOX

SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS

AUTOMOTIVE: Lubrication & protection from moisture & corrosion for all electric motors, starter motors, generators, alternators, solenoids, switches, all light fittings & any wiring harness.
Spray a good coating across the front of the car for night driving, easier to hose off insects next day.

AVIATION: Full protection from moisture & salt air corrosion on all micro - switches & linkages for retractable under carriages.

COMMERCIAL: For all service work & repairs on office equipment - Lubricates, protects & keeps clean wood working machines.

DOMESTIC: Cleans formica & white goods surfaces - Lubricates & protects from moisture & corrosion all electric motors, switches, plugs & all light fittings - Polishes stainless steel sinks ( use a plastic scrubbing pad, then wash off using soap & hot water), will stay easy to clean for months

ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS: Frees up sticking computer key boards - Lubricates CPU fans. For lubrication & protection from moisture & corrosion for all electrical & electronic plugs, connectors, circuits, micro-switches, terminals, power boards, switches, relays, all motors, solenoids, switches & relays in high moisture areas.Protection from moisture & corrosion for remote area power supply generators, battery terminals, cables & switches.

FIREARMS: Cleaning & assembly for all rifles, shotguns & handguns - Use for all repairs & service work - Keeps slides & trigger mechanisms in good condition. Lubrication & protection from corrosion for black power loaders, does not gum up.

HOBBIES & SPORTS: FOOD Grade Approved (DPI Aust.), will not taint bait, use on fishing knives,hooks, etc. Keeps fishing reels in good working order & corroson free. Keeps model aeroplane engines in good condition & corrosion free between use - Lubricates & protects from moisture & corrosion slot cars, model sailing boats, trains, racing cars, etc, radio control gear & linkages.

INDUSTRIAL: Food Grade Approved (DPI Aust.), can be used on all food processing machinery, feed chains & conveyors - Protection from moisture & corrosion for battery terminals & cables, relays, solenoids, switches & light fittings. Protects electric powered forklifts operating in coldrooms.

MARINE: Cleans & polishes oxidized fibreglass surfaces. Protects from moisture & corrosion marine radios & electrical equipment, switches, relays, solenoids & all light fittings.

MINING & FARMING: Approved for underground mine use - Protection from moisture & corrosion for underground pump motors, relays, solenoids, switchgear, powerboards, cables, switches & all light fittings in high moisture areas.

Lanox

SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS

ANCHORS-CHAINS-SHACKLE BOLTS: For good protection against corrosion & helps reduce fouling.

CONCRETE: Keeps shovel, trowels, floats & formwork clean & corrosion free between use - Stops mortar & concrete adhering to aluminium frames, window & door glass on construction work sites.

CONSTRUCTION & FABRICATION: Protects bare metal & welded joints from corrosion in the open air before painting during construction.

EARTH MOVING MACHINERY: Use as an anti-seize on all track & blade nut & bolts before screwing together - Penetrates to free up bolts, nuts & parts. Protects all bare metal surfaces & blades between use.

FARM MACHINERY: Protects all painted & bare metal surfaces from corrosion - Protects & lubricates sprockets, chains & cables from corrosion on all harvesters(grain, cane, grape, etc.), sowers, vegetable diggers & washers in use & in the off season.

IRRIGATION PLANT & PIPES: Keeps pump motors, linkages, cables, couplings & electricals clean & free
from corrosion & lubricated while in use & when in storage

JET SKIS & OUTBOARDS: Protects outboards, clamps, props & jet skis from salt water corrosion, will not harden or harm rubber fittings - Keeps control & steering cables & linkages in good working order, lubricated & corrosion free.

LIVESTOCK TRANSPORT: Spray on all livestock grates & gates (road, rail, etc.) to protect against rust & chemical corrosion before transit or in storage - Lubricates & protects locks & hinges.

MINING: Protects all bare metal surfaces, pump motors (above & below ground), drag lines, winches & associated electricals from moisture & corrosion in high humidity & adverse weather conditions.

MOORING & SLIPS: Stops electrolysis - Keeps winches, cables, slip cradles & wheel bushes lubricated & corrosion free Protection for electricals from moisture & salt air corrosion.

PROTECTION: Protection for painted & bare metal surfaces in the open under adverse conditions from moisture & corrosion. Protects all bare& untreated timber from water & dry rot - It may darken slightly bare or untreated timber, but it will not harm it.

TRAILERS: Boat, Box, Car & Horsefloats, spray on chassis, springs, axles, hinges,couplings winches, cables, light fittings & electricals for protection from salt air corrosion & moisture.

THREAD ANTI-SEIZE: Spray on all metal threads before joining, stops threads corroding together makes it easier to undo the joint, nut or bolt later.

Garry

Big_unit
30-10-2006, 10:53 PM
I use a light spray off Oz spray ( Lanolin ) under the cowl and Lubex everywhere else.

Cheers
James

finga64
31-10-2006, 05:02 AM
I use a weak truckwash solution then run until everything is nice and warm and dry then Lanox the lot whilst warm :)

brush
01-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Flush the engine with tap water until the exhausted water gets Warm!
Our town water has Choromine in it , more or less in some Water board areas. This additive can and does eat into into 316 ss , however when the O/b fails and we have all that corrosion its just "what Happens"
In my opinion the best O/B is the one that is used the most.
Love that Lanox I just hope we can keep feeding our Sheep to keep up the supply.
Cheers Brush.