PDA

View Full Version : Horse's Aint Horse's

Kiktz
31-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Was reading a post here a the other week, This post was staing that there is a
10% allowable difference in actual engine horse power.

EG:
150hp could actually put out 135hp - 165hp

Went to the boat show on the week end and was talking with
Chris Guppy from Suzuki, Top fella I must say. He as well as another guy at the
Satisfaction Stand were aware of the rumour the the 140hp Suzi only puts out
128hp.
The guy apparently started the rumour while working at Yamaha and it has come to light where he currently works at Suzuki.
I understand here say is Here say, but one thing that did catch my attention was that
the Suzuki engines are build under Japanese spec, not build for the spec as such
for the intended market spec. The Japanese has only a 2% allowable tolerance
of hp.
So this in Fact that give my eg above, a 150hp will out put between 147hp - 153hp.

Just thought this was good information to pass on to fellow Ausfishers

Cheers Aj

boatboy50
31-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks Kiktz,

Good to set the record straight.

Regards

Darren

honda900
31-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Kitz,

Hate to pull the pin on the suzi man but, #I have been around bike engines for years, #all japanese, #mate what the guy told you is rubbish and easily discounted over the years in bike mags doing dyno's on the latest engines. # For example my bike is supposed to put out 172 HP for a 1 litre honda but there is quite substantial differences with bikes showing as little as 135hp when put on the dyno. #yes I know that dyno's can read differently given differing circumstances but 4 bikes on the same dyno under the same conditions sort of points out the fact that not everything is what it seems.

Regards
Honda

Kiktz
31-10-2006, 10:21 PM
To be Honest Honda, I am in a position that we are looking to buy
a new engine. I would like to know what I am getting for my money.
Seeing this was brought up in another post, I thought it would be great to get feed back such as what you have suggested.

Aj

Kopey
01-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Be great if they actually gave you a figure on the amount of torque and where it's produced figure aswell I spose. (graph off a dyno)

A good indication of how gutsy an engine is usually their displacement. Bigger engines normally produce more torque, and more torque down low where it counts.

Interesting to note too that 2 strokes of course have different torque characteristics to a 4 stroke hence 2 strokes are usually punchier out of the hole but put a big load on the boat and the 4 stroke usually takes over.

Square engines (same size bore and stroke) have a natural tendency to produce awesome amounts of torque hence the Suzuki 150/175 which are a 2867cc engine, and have a bore and stroke of 97x97.

Cheers Kopey ;)

PS: good topic Kiktz ;)

fishin_till_late
01-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Someone told me that Tohatsu measure there horsepower from what is put out of it. Therefore lets say a Tohatsu 25 hp would go better than say a Mercury or yammy 25 hp. Allthough I'm not certain on this I do know a few guys who have the smaller toheys(18HP/30hp) and they both do turn abit of speed when they get going but once again I will stress I don't have the proof of this statement.

Cheers Jono

wessel
01-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Is this shaft horsepower, or horsepower measured at the prop?
There will be a huge difference between the two figures.

It will not surprise me if the manufacturer states figures as measured at the shaft. When a person in industry will do a test, it is usually at the prop. Therefore the difference and the disappointment, but the manufacturer was never lying either.

Wessel