PDA

View Full Version : Poly esky's

FNQCairns
02-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Are those big Poly esky's I see sold around the traps strong enough to be mounted as permanent seat bases? Will be foaming the top and covering.

Any one brand tougher than the others?

thanks fnq

griz066
02-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I hava a tropical brand one and it is as tough as nails 100kg jumpin on the lid did nothing great boxes too block ice lasts 4 days.

PADDLES
02-11-2006, 12:44 PM
we bought one for our boat from super cheap when they had em going cheap and it'd be plenty strong enough to sit on.

harry_h01
02-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Same here Paddles.

I picked up one of the supa cheaps 990lt white eskies.

Never had a real problem with, and it holds my 110kg weight no problem.

We use ours a seat / bench for the kids when heading out

Harry

FNQCairns
02-11-2006, 01:30 PM
OK great, now to budget three of the big buggers! 1 for fish (biggest one :)), 1 for boat bits and one for safety equipment etc.

Thanks fnq

BIG_SUFF
02-11-2006, 01:55 PM
FNQ: Have a look on ebay under icebox. they have a huge selection of brand new poly esky"s : :o :o :o
I picked up a 150 litre box for less than half the price I"ve seen inthe shops, delivered to my front door. ;D ;D ;D
As Griz says they are as tough as guts and makes a great seat/baitboard/table.

Tatt2
02-11-2006, 02:28 PM
G'Day mate,

My Quinnie legend has an icebox for a seat and I had the optional swinging backrest attached. I have a feeling that they are actually cheaper to buy than the brand names mentioned.

The bonus is that they are designed as a seat, and have a padded cover on them.

Might be worth a look!

GAD
02-11-2006, 04:04 PM
hey FNQ,
check out ebay , I got my poly 100litre for $111 delivered to Gordonvale in 4 days, and I've tested it out a few times, it will hold ice for 5 days the best it has done in the sun,better than paying the price in the shops.very impressed got better latches and handles and a screw in bung,gonna buy a 150 litre next.

GREG

Rod_Bender
02-11-2006, 04:30 PM
mate i've got the tropical brand which i think is quite similar to the light blue ones on the market. had is for a few years and works well at keeping ice and loves my heavy frame on it.

dogsbody
02-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Got a Techni ice brand handles are moulded into it,solid as.Will hold party ice for three days.

Dave.

Scalem
02-11-2006, 09:32 PM
I bought my 60 ltr Icytec blue esky about 5 years ago, and every prawning season I stand on top of it to make cast netting easier over the sides of the boat.

Anyone of my friends or relatives are welcome to borrow it. I don't care, you can't hurt it, so why should I care??

Recently my brother kept ice and pillies frozen for 4 days fishing at Fraser. ;) ;)

Thinking about velcroe on the top and putting a cushion on it too, but that will mean I will need to find an alternate filletting board!!

Scalem

Fishin_Dan
02-11-2006, 10:58 PM
You could put padding on either end Scalem, and leave a cutting area in the middle ;)

PADDLES
03-11-2006, 06:56 AM
i know it's shifting the focus away from the eskys, but i reckon the best cutting boards for bait in a small tinny are macca's trays, they've got a bit of a pattern on them that stops ya bait from sliding around. in my old tinny we had some non slip stuff on top of the esky and used macca's trays on top of that. when ya wanted to get in the esky you moved the tray and lifted the esky lid, hey presto no mess. they're also pretty funny under the back wheels of front wheel drive cars with the hand brake pulled on ............. bad funny ............... bad funny ;D

Fishin_Dan
03-11-2006, 07:43 AM
;D ;D ;D Haven't done that for a long time Paddles!!! Had forgotten all about that! ;D

jim_farrell
03-11-2006, 09:22 AM
what brand are you guys talking about on ebay???

drb
03-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I have a ICE Kool blue poly made by EvaCool. 2 years old but the lid is bowed from sitting on it. (got nothing to do with me being too fat I'm sure ;D)

Has a 5 year warranty so I am going to take it back.

Screws for the handles have also gone rusty froom being in the boat, they should realise that a large amount end up in boats and use stainless fittings

Dazz

BIG_SUFF
03-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey Flick
Techni Ice is the brand. Just type in ice box and you will see [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]oodles of the little blighters!

FNQCairns
03-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback, some great info, might stay away from the ice cool this time around thanks daz (I am fairly big and just getting bigger it seems).

Ebay here I come :) - again! Except for the fish box the Tropical 126L seem perfect anyone know what the internal length on this one is?

thanks fnq