PDA

View Full Version : boat&outboard size combinations

agent99
04-11-2006, 09:10 PM
looking at throwing a runabout together if can't find something that fits the bill.
got some rigging experience (worked for a marine shop for 6 months), looking
for suggestions for a hull 14' to 17'ft glass that would motor along nicely with a 70-90hp
outboard,capable of some offshore work & occasionally tow an esky lid or tube?
tight budget only around 5k to spend total on a rig for now?
obviously i know i can't afford a new boston whaler or anything!

agent99
04-11-2006, 09:57 PM
is it a stupid question or is everyone fishing?
no response!

Roughasguts
05-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Go to boat point, type in a budget of 5 grand and see what comes up.

agent99
05-11-2006, 07:23 AM
thanks roughasguts
have been doing that also on tradingpost, more to the point i suppose
is there any hulls in that size i should avoid like the plague if i'll be
taking the boat outside? :)

Grand_Marlin
05-11-2006, 07:40 AM
In all honesty, if you are spending 5 grand, you 'aint gonna have much choice when it comes to a boat that size... realisitically you are quite likely going to buy a piece of crap.

A good reliable motor for that size boat will be worth your entire budget, let alone hull, trailer, safety gear etc.

None of my business what you do, but I would suggest staying inside and forget offshore work untill you have a budget of around $12 - 15 grand, to get something big enough and safe enough to take offshore.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I would rather point out reality, than give you crap advice and read about you as a statistic.

Cheers

Pete

toymod
05-11-2006, 07:50 AM
push the budget upto 8 and you can take my signature off my hands

agent99
05-11-2006, 08:10 AM
thanks pete & toymod,
if i could come with more bucks toymod i'd be interested
in your haines,but don't see it happening anytime soon.
Pete ya to the point & i see where ya coming from,
mainly concerned with getting good seaworthy hull for now,and
old 70hp johno (or simaler)to get me on the lake for now,I could
hold off taking the boat outside i suppose till i got latter more
reliable engine?
got mate with ex-MSB flybridge mariner could hassle him to head out!

agent99
05-11-2006, 08:48 AM
pete
Still have contacts in that field,looking at something a bit rough around
the edges in that budget i know,after good starting point 4 boat package
and will tidy up imperfections was the plan 4 now.Hopefully be able
to afford to upgrade to latter donk next summer,you've made me think
though ,not likely to get good enough boat to take offshore straight
off the bat anyhow am i ! :-/

GAD
05-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Well said Pete,
# # # # # # # # # # # # #after looking around for a good while , I saw a lot of cheap boats and they were cheap for a reason . I looked for a few years and saw some pretty rough and unseaworthy boats on the market, but going cheap so some sucker would buy it , [you hear the stories great boat use it all the time , went out just last week ,as the grass grows thru the chassis and the bird shit is 2 inches thick, and it takes 30 min to start it, and some story about how they have to get rid of it because of some hard luck story, or the boss said so , truth is it a piece of shit and they want you to pay them for privilege of towing it away] #:o.
Not all bargains are rubbish and some can be quite good value, but, buyer beware, its your cash spend it wisely, its your life is it that cheap.There is no road side service outside so save while you look, better to wait and get a better boat :) than curse the bucket your in :'(. And don't let anyone rush you into a sale. Just a few thoughts I kept in mind.[hard to do when looking for a boat and the weather is great and the sea is flat and the mates are all bragging about bagging out on reds and trout]

In my case while looking for a second hand boat in the size and style I wanted I came to the conclusion I needed to buy new. Now I ain't suggesting you buy new, my point is that while I looked I also got ideas of what I required and what was superfluous and it did change my view as to what I wanted , I started out looking for a half cab or cuddy and a few years later bought a bowrider. ;D
Also I used to read the forums to see what people had to say about what boats and what was the up and down side of what models and brands, glass or plate, but then it still comes down to your own personal opinions and uses. #
In the end it became a bit of a learning experience and I got the boat I want and have a lot of ideas as how to set it up for what I want to do.
So I hope that you find the boat that you want for the right price and you is happy and safe on the water. Because in the end that is all that counts. ;D

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Greg 8-)

agent99
05-11-2006, 09:35 AM
fair call greg
then you've got the other side of the coin,people selling shit cheap
cause they don't know what's wrong with it or there been given some
rediculios quote to repair it when SFA is wrong with it.
e.g my grandfather & i went & looked at an old rogue14 with a 60 mariner(yeh i know a black death)the guy wanted 1k for it and it
wasn't going.
we did what is refered to as a trade-in evaluation in the industry,
determined the motor was in great condition other than one fuel hose
that had com adrift (poor clamp on it).
snaggled it for $400 been fishing in it every summer for last 4 years
no shit!

agent99
05-11-2006, 09:38 AM
i understand that don't happen to often though :D
is grandfather's boat not mine but!

marshy
05-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Gidday ageny 99. Bargains are definetly available but you have to look & look & look until you are thoroughly sick of looking.What you said about your grandfathers boat does happen, the seller gets a huge repair quote & sells the boat cheap beacause they cant afford to repair it and all it needs is fairly minor. I bought a similar boat to your granfathers early this year.a 14ft6 yalta with a 70johno paid $2000 spent another $1800 on boat motor & trailer repairs & improvements & rego. Done 45hrs with no problems at all. My best advice is dont rush & buy a lemon but you sound like you know what to look for anyway. good luck & sorry I dont know of anything for sale at the moment

Marshy.

Grand_Marlin
05-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I would be looking for a cruisecraft / haines / seafarer around the 17ft mark.

These boats seem to have stood the test of time.

And as you say ... keep it in calm waters until you can affard any repairs needed and put a good donk on it.

Good Luck,

Cheers

Pete

agent99
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
thanks for everyones comments ,have given it some thought &
decided to leave the offshore missions to mate with his flybridge cruiser
(his keen if i bring a drum of fuel along).
Will purchase a second hand 4-4.5 metre tinny,and a new 30 or 40hp
outboard (tohatsu most likely), i could make this happen within 5k.
tohatsu 40hp $3336 mlh ,allowing rest for hull,life jackets&oars etc...
don,t require trailer as live on waterfront(will use tinnie movers to get it in boat shed.
Do ya think that i'll keep me out of trouble?

troy
05-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Agent 99 ,
I agree with Pete for the amount of money you want to spend will only buy you trouble.
A 17 ft Carrabean with a old 70 hp Johnston and trailer went for around your budget up here in N QLD and in bad condition.
He had to spend another $10000.00 on it.
I also had Spaniard King check out a 445f Haines for my lad for #$7500.00 and Gary saved me from buying a dive.
But mate you could get lucky and prove me wrong.
Good Luck.
Troy