PDA

View Full Version : Canoe or kayak?

fishingnottake
05-11-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm wanting to get back out on the water, but since i'm still living an apartment complex, i have nowhere to store a boat, so i'm taking the canoe, kayak angle, i just can;t decide which would be better for my situation, so i'm asking for opinions from those wise than i. I live right on currumbin creek, just near the bar entrance, so i dare say that's where i'll do most of my fishing, but i'd be looking at traveling around with it a fair bit, hinze dam, tweed river etc. so which one is more suited to fishing in those sorts of situations?
ash

aussiefool
05-11-2006, 09:09 AM
just make sure that the one you settle on is up to going out to the palmie reef come mac season. ;)

fishingnottake
05-11-2006, 09:55 AM
i figured your rig would have us covered for that. ;)

silver19
05-11-2006, 10:13 AM
have you looked at the Porta-Bote the fold up boat? I`ve got one as a second option for times I can`t take the trailer. does everything a canoe does and more.easy to store and takes up less room .

Cheers John

fishingnottake
05-11-2006, 10:51 AM
where can you get them?

silver19
05-11-2006, 11:12 AM
sold out of sydney I rang them on 02 9868 6911 and they sent all the info. have a look at the boats on porta-bote.com which is a yank site but nearly everything you need to know.

cheers

The_Walrus
05-11-2006, 12:10 PM
If you have any intentions of going out into the ocean, I would strongly suggest a sit on top yak.

Unless you're an experienced canoeist, ie can do eskimo rolls, I would keep away from a sit in yak.
Yes I know that some sit-ins are very stable BUT, sit-ons can't fill with water and they're much easier to get back into after a capsize.

If you intend to stay in dams, river & estuaries and want to do a fair bit of travelling including trolling, a canadian canoe with an electric would be a better option.

The porta-boats are worth considering. http://www.porta-bote.com/index.htm

Luc

NormC
05-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I think Luc's advise is pretty good.

If you decide on a canoe, I have one for sale. It is a Rosco Basscatcher and has a removable outrigger.

http://www.roscocanoes.com.au/productdescription.aspx?Sec_ID=263&fulID=20#1

Great fishing canoe for 2 people

fishingnottake
05-11-2006, 12:29 PM
how much?

cdenyer
05-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I might be bias as I have never owned a Canoe, but yaks are great, and can be fitted out however you wish. Try this great site. I have a Hobie Sports.

http://www.akff.net/forum/

Chris

Canoedle
05-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm with Chris :)

choppa
05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
yak,,,,,,,,,,,,

choppa
05-11-2006, 05:51 PM
canoe,,,,looks safer

gutzy
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
I have a canoe and must say
DEFINETLY NOT A CANOE!!!!!!!!!
Heavy , bulky , slightest breeze and your stuffed , not much speed , can sink.
Im selling mine and getting a kayak.
To give you good advice
TRY SOME OUT!!
make sure you try before you buy.

suzy81
06-11-2006, 06:00 AM
i have a viking double sit on and it is more roomier and stable than the hobbie also it is half the price!$1400 will get you a double with paddles and seats thrown in (if u ask)they are good size 4.7mt its called tempo fisherman they have singles aswell(all have rod holders and storage compartments....i think the hobbies are around $3000.
check out the viking range b4 commiting to anything.....(hobbies are very good quality aswell.)

Getout
06-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Actually the Hobie double seater paddle kayak is nowhere near $3000.00. More like $1650.00 with seats and paddles!

Pirate_Pete_Tas
06-11-2006, 08:38 AM
I have a canoe and must say
DEFINETLY NOT A CANOE!!!!!!!!!
Heavy , bulky , slightest breeze and your stuffed , not much speed , can sink.
Im selling mine and getting a kayak.
To give you good advice
TRY SOME OUT!!
make sure you try before you buy.

I am with Gutzy. I also have a canoe & agree with every thing he has stated.

pjw200371
06-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Check this puppy out:

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/swing.htm

Has a built in rod holder/trolling rig, tackle box, 'fish lifter' for dragging in a bigun', and all the regular accoutrements like hatches, seat, straps, etc.

There is plenty of kayaks on the market now designed specifically for the angler with similar gear to the one above. If you're in the Brisbane area, drop in at Goodtime at the Gabba, they have heaps of models. I bought my sit on top one there, and haven't looked back. It may be slightly less comfortable than a sit in, but can go just about anywhere, through rough surf to the shallowest, narrowest estuaries. Better than a boat at times.

shayned
06-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Kayak sot if only because you can easily load and unload by yourself. I've just got a good second hand Cobra partially set up for fishing and once I got the roof racks, pfd, leashes ect it came to around a grand all up. Check out akff for good advice which will help you miss some of the less obvious mistakes when getting started.

suzy81
06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
mate just bought a hoby from up the sunny coast.....the fisherman equivilant cost him just under 3 grand.

wessel
06-11-2006, 04:52 PM
What a couple of blokes pulled in on a particularly productive outing on their surfskis.

This is the North East coast in sunny South Africa.

Wessel

Cobia_Kid
06-11-2006, 05:10 PM
i have seen in magizines a hobbie kyake and you steer with feet,and move wit ores
it contains an eskie and ither cool stuff
look
em up under hobbie kyiaks
cheers jamie ;D ;D