PDA

View Full Version : Outriggers... Again

DazSamFishing
03-11-2006, 12:21 AM
G'Day all,

Well the boat is about 2 weeks away and while I was at the GC Boat show I popped by the Solas stand to check out their outriggers...

Just wondering if anyone has them or knows anything about them? I am just a bit concerned about the cost... $695 for the lot... S/s bases, 12ft poles (adjustable) and cords/clips/tensioners...

Considering I got a quote of around the $1500 mark for Reelax (which I know are top quality) I am really considering to give the cheaper alternative ago...which is really within our budget!

I appreciate any info/feedback/opinions!

Daz

GLENO
03-11-2006, 03:43 AM
Hey Daz,

I will be also very interested to hear some more about these. Regards Gleno

Smelly
03-11-2006, 05:03 AM
purpose of outriggers?

jeffo
03-11-2006, 05:40 AM
daz- for starters, what are you fishing for??

Type of boat and what else you are putting on the boat.

Grand_Marlin
03-11-2006, 05:57 AM
G'day Daz,

There are a few reasons Reelax are twice the price, but mainly quality, adjustability and useability.

Reelax have been designing and using these products for 30 odd years... they know their stuff.

If your decison is based on price alone, then it wont really matter what you fit.
It is only when you get a bi tof experience up with using outriggers that you will appreciate the advantages of Reelax.

Also, as Jeffo asks .. what type of fish are you targeting? If you are only ever targeting Mackeral in the bay, then the quality wont be as important.

Step up into towing bigger baits / lures for Marlin etc, then the flaws in quality will show.

Cheers

Pete

DazSamFishing
03-11-2006, 09:04 AM
G' Day all...

The Boat is a Makocraft canyon runner 610 with a verado 175hp and everything else you can think of for an off shore rig. The majority of my fishing will be done off shore Gold coast and would prefer to travel as far as possible (weather permitting and considering the 220l of fuel I have)... So I endeavor to really get into the trolling game... even join a game fishing club!

I plan to target wahoo, macks, tuna, kings and later down the track... marlin.

I have purchased 4 trolling outfits, a witch doctor and all the rigging essentials and have been studying off shore trolling for a while now...

Hope this helps...

Thanks to all...

Pete: can you do any better on the Reelax riggers? ;D

Daz

jeffo
03-11-2006, 01:23 PM
ok daz- as long as you are planning on doing ALOT of marlin fishing then yes riggers are well worth it-but spend the $$ if you need to.

for trolling anything else apart from skirted lures and skip baits i wouldnt even bother with the riggers....in saying that we have caught plenty of billfish with 2 rods and a teaser in the water (sometimes less).

IF you plan on getting into marlin fishing down the track and plan on joining a gamefishing club then i strongly suggest holding off on buying your cheaper riggers and go out with some of the boys who have been in the game a while and really get used to what an outrigger does. you will learn a hell of a lot about them and it will really help when setting them up on your own boat.

If some one asked me to set riggers up on their boat 4 years ago i would have stuck them low to the water and straight out from the middle of the boat-sure the spread would have been there....but the hight wouldnt have been, and the amount of drop back frrom the clip on the bite would have been far from ideal.

As you have probably found out there is far more to riggers than getting the baits and lures outside of the prop wash- a quick look at Peter pakulas old boat "THE ANIMAL" and you will soon see that. You can tell that boat from a mile away from the hight of the riggers, the angle is much greater than that on most other game boats.

hope that has helped a bit- if it was me i would wait a while and get the good gear.

For the record the set on my boat are one piece 4.5m poles on a 4.9m boat.

Grand_Marlin
03-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Daz,

Give me a call, I will see what I can work out

Cheers

Pete.

ps ... I just finished fitting an 80lb Reelax game chair - do you want one of these too .... only another 7 g's fitted ;D

Cheers

Pete - 0419 263 264

Sportfish_5
03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Those Solas one are a POS :-X The bases are not up to it.

Save up for the Reelax ones ::)

U think they are dear have a look at some Tacos or Lees :o :o :o :o :o :o

You would be better off initially getting a pair offset rod holders if you are mainly targeting hoos, macks and yellowfin and gaining a lot more experience trolling before targeting the stickfaces.

Try a set of these for a start ---->>>>>

http://www.cesmithco.com/product/outrigger.htm

DazSamFishing
03-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Cheers greg...

Are those off set rod holders sold anywhere locally?

Daz

Fat_Chilli
03-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Isn't the Max HP of a 610 Mako 150hp?

DazSamFishing
03-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Thats right... But Tim Stessl will be approving the extra ponies...

The 135, 150 and 175hp verados are identical weights...

Daz

Fat_Chilli
04-11-2006, 06:56 AM
She's gona fly ;D

Sportfish_5
04-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Cheers greg...

Are those off set rod holders sold anywhere locally?

Daz

Reelax make some locally but just order them from West marine or similar on the net for the CE Smith versions.

hercules
04-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I have trolled 5 lines without riggers for a couple of years now with no problems . I troll 3 from the rocket launcher and two from the transom . This was mainly for 8kg and because of the height variations and angled holders on the rocketlauncher there was rarely any tangles unless your turning circles were too tight or towing small lures in a lot of wind .
I recently bought a set of second hand riggers and got new reelax bases so will see how they go . I have heard of some problems with cheap bases so went with the tried and tested . (mates boat has them with no dramas )
The reason for going to riggers is a wider spread for my lures(how much difference that will make time will tell ) but mostly when using 37kg tackle for blues , having 80wides on 12kg strike drag out of 45degree rocket launcher is probably pushing the realms of sanity ::) Then again catching blue marlin out of my little haines :-? well , i can't help myself ;D
Craig

jim_farrell
04-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Daz, doug burt has the offset holders that fit into your rod holders. From memory they are about $120-$130 each. I have never used them and can't comment on the quality. They may be worth a look, and go the riggers down the track when you have learnt the ropes. I am no expert, but i would cut your teeth on the macs and hoo's with 3 rods no riggers. Then maybe in a season or 2s time when you are comfortable doing that, fit the riggers and chase the billies. Don't think you need the riggers to catch the bills, more about where the bait is, water temp and boat speed. Having said that, a properly set up 5 rig pattern with teaser can only increase the chances.

You could do worse than talk to the guys at dougs. They chase bills, have and use riggers and offset holders themselves and will answer every question you can think of.
Jim

Stubbie_Holder
04-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I run 5.5m outriggers on a 680 Patriot, if you plan to still be trolling a few years from now you will want the reelax riggers and bases as you know they will last. If you want to troll 5 rods from rod holders it can be done, but once you experience the right way to do it, that is the only way you will be satisfied.

Grand_Marlin
05-11-2006, 05:06 AM
I run 5.5m outriggers on a 680 Patriot, if you plan to still be trolling a few years from now you will want the reelax riggers and bases as you know they will last. If you want to troll 5 rods from rod holders it can be done, but once you experience the right way to do it, that is the only way you will be satisfied.

My sentiments exactly.

It is your boat and your money, but if you do it right the first time you will always be pleased you did.

Cheers

Pete

DazSamFishing
06-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the input fellas'

I have made a decision not to purchase the outriggers... I will wait and may save up for the better quality product!

I will start of simple... I will try out the off set holders... And present my off shore trolling report in the next couple of weeks.

Only 2 weeks left for the new rig! ;D

Daz