PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoils

breamking
06-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I have a 3.75 edgetracker with a 20hp mariner and was wanting to put a hydrofoil on it and would like to know what to get as I have no idea.PLease help. :-?

seatime
06-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Try and avoid a foil if you possibly can.

IMO if it needs a foil, there's something wrong with the boat/motor set-up.

I'm sure there are cases were it is unavoidable and it won't get on the plane without one, personally I don't like 'em.

have a look back thru the pages, there's been lots of debate covering the pro's and con's of foils and permatrims. think the general consensus was, if you have to have one, look at the permatrim.

regards

finga64
06-11-2006, 06:47 PM
First question is why do you think you need a foil??
A problem may be solved without the hassle and expense of fitting one #:)

I made one of these up for a fello member last year and he recons it made a huge difference. If I remember correct he had a 3.5m tinny with a 6hp?? :-/ I think??? :)
Cheers Scott #:)

breamking
06-11-2006, 08:11 PM
The reason I think it needs it that it takes at least 5 to 6 boat lengths to get it on the plane.But I have just looked at the motor on the boat and have measured the cavitation plate on the motor and it is 2.5 inches below the bottom of the boat when it should be 1 inch according to the motor manual.What difference would this make to the overall performance of the boat.?

NAGG
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I installed a set on my 5.35 reef raider (75 Mariner) ..... At the time I couldn't see why the boat porpoised in calm water (rivers) at speed regardless of trim. in open waters I thought it was ok .......Anyhow installed a set of alloy (dolphins???) & the boat characteristics improved in both calm & in a following sea situation significantly..... 8-)
NAGG

finga64
06-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Mate, bung the cav. plate 1/2inch above the bottom of the boat. Makes a world of difference, but mainly to the steering. It would be fairly hard to steer at the moment wouldn't it?? :)

5-6 boat lengths. That means the boat is planing in around 20m. Have you tried the trim to see if it gets better?? It may be trimed too far in.

breamking
06-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys will try all that finga as see how it goes>

Loco_Pez
06-11-2006, 09:28 PM
You might want to check that your prop is the right size as well. If it's a little big the holeshot won't be as good. Are you in the recommended WOT range for your motor ? If your WOT is at the low end it might also indicate prop may be a little big.

LP

Loco_Pez
06-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Forgot to mention, I have a Permatrim on my motor & it has improved the performance & I don't have to adjust the trim so much. My prop is a little big & I only just make the recommended WOT rev range. It's not worth replacing with a smaller one.

aussiefool
07-11-2006, 07:01 AM
First question is why do you think you need a foil??
A problem may be solved without the hassle and expense of fitting one #:)

I made one of these up for a fello member last year and he recons it made a huge difference. If I remember correct he had a 3.5m tinny with a 6hp?? :-/ I think??? #:)
Cheers Scott #:)

Close Scott, not a tinny but a f/glass boat with 9.9 jono on it and yep made a huge difference and still does. Thanks again mate.
In my opion get one for yourself and put on if it works for you great if not you have not lost all that much