PDA

View Full Version : Advice on PFDs for toddlers

Juliette2101
07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Hello,
I'm hoping someone could help me with understanding the best PFD options for 15 month olds (our twins). We're heading overseas this Christmas, and will be needing to buy them PFDs for two 1 1/2hr boat rides on which child lifejackets are unlikely to be provided (in Fiji).

I have looked at online catalogues, and there seems to be a wide range available... PFD 1, PFD 2, different brands, toddler and junior sizes. Could anyone tell me what the difference is between PFD 1 and 2, and what other features I should be looking for?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice as it's all a bit confusing to me! #::) Many thanks in advance.

Juliette

Pitsta
07-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Juliette, I bought this type for my kids & they did'nt mind wearing them !!! Head Up PFD Type 1 for Small Children
Head Up design with special features for toddlers. One piece front, no zipper to undo or fiddle with. Adjustable shoulder straps & waist belt with snap buckles. Adjustable crotch strap in soft, elastic material stops child falling through the bottom. Large flotation collar, lift handle on top. Nylon cover, closed cell foam. To Australian Standard AS 1512.
Made by Burke ;)

Mark

Chimo
07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Hi Juliette

If they were mine I'd look at PFD type 1 to support their heads to give you time to get to them etc

Cheers
Chimo

This is off the Qld marine site
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/lifejackets
Safety - Life jackets/personal flotation devices

There are five different types of personal flotation devices (PFDs). They should be accessible at all times and kept in good condition. Do not use PFDs as a cushion and be sure you know how to put them on quickly.

PFD type 1
Has sufficient flotation to support the body and head. The flotation collar keeps the head above water. For use in smooth, partially smooth and open waters. Suitable for offshore boating. SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) and coastal life jackets are accepted as a PFD type 1 for recreational safety equipment purposes. Must comply with Australian Standard 1512.

PFD type 2
Keeps you afloat but does not have a collar to keep the head above water. For use in smooth and partially smooth waters. Good for water-skiing, personal water craft, sailing boats and dinghies. Must comply with Australian Standard 1499.

PFD type 3
Has the same buoyancy as PFD type 2 although colours are not as visible. May be a specified buoyancy wet suit. For use in smooth water and only where the user is likely to be in the water for a short time. Must comply with Australian Standard 2260.

Coastal and SOLAS
These jackets have more flotation than a PFD type 1. They are bulky lifejackets designed to keep the body afloat for long periods. They have reflective tape and a whistle to attract attention. These jackets are mostly carried by commercial boats and recommended to be carried by boats operating long distances offshore.

Life jackets carried aboard commercial ships must be regularly inspected and maintained, fitted with their correct accessories and stored in readily accessible, marked positions. It is critical that all crew (and passengers) know the correct way to put on a life jacket. Read and carefully follow the instructions provided on the jacket.

As of 1 April 2006, it is compulsory to wear a life jacket

When crosssing a coastal bar in an open boat that is less than 4.8 metres in length.

If you are under the age of 12 in an open boat that is less than 4.8 metres in length, while it is underway.

seatime
07-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi

the link chimo supplied gives you lots of info on PFD's 1, 2, &3.

in addition, have a look at some chandlers for inflatable PFD 1's, some brands make them in child sizes - much easier for carrying in luggage.

just check that you are allowed to carry the CO2 inflation cylinders on aircraft - personal lifejackets should be OK, but these days???

all PFD 1's have reflective tape, also do not wear PFD 1's whilst skiing, the neck support can seriously damage your neck if you come off.

regards
Steve.

saurian
07-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Chimo , well done ..!!!!!
Julie , just had nephews and neices over for boating holiday .
I bought them pfd 1 hutchwilcos , they cost an arm and a leg .
They have have a weight recommendation on the inside panel of the jacket., ie; 12-25KG.
They have aus standards 1512.
I relaxed with them in them and they ran around like they where not on.
Make sure the weight recommendation is to suit child , I personally like
ones with the ability for arm movement.
And the ones with a strap/pocket to disable the jacket slipping off over their head. Not sure on aviation rules , best ring them as gelsecs idea has it's merits...
Ta JUD.

Chimo
07-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks Jud

PS I don"t think (really I'm sure but I don't want to sound opinonated) that you cannot take pressurized CO2 vessels as you would need for the inflating jackets onto aircraft these days. #

Also I'm disinclined to go that way as I don't believe that a youngster coud be relied on to activate the life jacket when required and neither would the parents given the drama when the sh t hits the fan.

Cheers

Chimo

saurian
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Ditto chimo ,

Grunter71
07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Juliette

We also have 15 month old twins. #

We bought 2 X 12 - 25kg's, PFD 1 Hutchwilco lifejackets. #About $85.00 each from memory.

They have plenty of flotation around the neck, as well as a strap under the crotch to stop them falling in, as well as a handle on the collar, I guess to make it easier to lift them into the boat if necessary.

We make them wear them around the house from time to time, just to get them used to it and so they didn't complain in the boat. #There were screaming matches the first few times they wore them, particularly before they could walk as they weren't able to crawl with them. Now they are good.

They love the rides in the boat.

Enjoy your holiday.

seatime
07-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi Juliette

I was only providing an option, not recommending self-inflatable or auto-inflatable lifejackets, though I'm sure the cabin jackets on aircraft are self-inflatable, not auto. Parents would need to inflate them if the children couldn't in the event of the aircraft ditching, God forbid.
I was also considering your luggage limits.
I'm also an agent for RFD jackets, of all styles.
I have 4 children, 13, 12, 8 & 5, all are familiar with wearing jackets for many years. The littlies often wear auto's as they generally aren't exposed to #spray, which may set them off accidentally. I've found small children don't particularly enjoy getting wet enough were an auto jacket would self-inflate, and, I wouldn't put them in such a position anyway.
In the warmer climates, the less amount of padding on the child, the less likely they are to complain or overheat.
The zip-up, crotch strap style PFD 1's, are probably the best all-rounder for chidren, but will be hot to wear in Fiji, but then everything is probably hot to wear in Fiji. A good quality jacket will last longer than just the holiday trip.
All the best, and keep them close.

regards
Steve.

saurian
07-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Gelsec , can you explain for me , the differences and the issue
of non auto inflating/inflating when wet.
All the media hype who's to beleive what ???
I think you will tell me as it is , as i do like the look of slimline
jackets at night...
Ta Jud

seatime
07-11-2006, 09:43 PM
needs to be a lot of spray that can find it's way in thru the hook & loop fastening, a soaking amount of spray hitting from side-on with enough force to open up the fastening, then an amount large enough to soak the switch, not easy, can be done if you try hard, but has happened on rare occasion.

FNQCairns
07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah the switch is an aspro, not really an aspro but a tablet that behaves the same way as an aspro does, once dissolved all jacket hell breaks loose and gives a person a fright :D they need to be replaced regular also as enough time in tropical conditions can theoretically set the jacket off.
Usually water from below sets them off more easily as they are hidden up and inside to some degree, spray usually doesn't although I guess it could depend on how long the exposure to the spray lasts I have been in fairly heavy spray (like enough to be soaking wet every 10 minutes, if the wind from traveling didn't help keep me dry) for half an hour or so with no problem on new tablets (at least i think they were new at the time).

cheers fnq

saurian
08-11-2006, 04:43 AM
Ta guys, just get a bit worried you'd be fishing then "wammoo" ,
Jackets inflated.

seatime
08-11-2006, 06:19 AM
it is unlikely they'll inflate when wearing them fishing. ship's pilots, pilot boat crew, shore linesmen, oil rig crews, etc have been wearing them for many, many years, sometimes in atrocious weather conditions - rain and spray. never seen or heard of one go off in these cases.

as FNQ said, water pretty much needs to travel vertically about 3-4" inside the the pocket to inflate. a small opening at the bottom allows the water in when the wearer goes for a swim - in principle.

good idea to have spare switches if in humid areas and spare CO2 cannisters - for back up.