PDA

View Full Version : Mounting your own sounder

stack
06-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Just got a new boat and I wanna have a go at fitting the sounder myself any tips or pitfalls?

Cheers
Stack

finga64
06-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Read the instructions really well before you do anything and spend a bit of time looking for the best transducer spot. #:)
If possible keep the sounder unit itself out of the sun and elements.
Don't forget to used tinned wire if the wires aren't long enough
Try to run the transducer cable/s where they have no chance of been damaged by accidental blows from something rolling around the boat.
Seal the holes you make when you mount the transducer with a good sealant ie sikaflex or something similar
I'm sure there's some other points I've forgotten but other members will remember them for sure #:)
Good luck, it's fun doing it. ;)
Cheers Scott :)

JasonT
06-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Mate, I've just recently done one and the only real area you can have trouble is with the transducer.

My advice is to read and re-read the manufacturers directions as far as placement goes and then make sure your setup is easily adjustable.
You can buy a bracket from most marine outlets (around $7-15 that allows the transducer to slide up and down the transom giving you an easily adjusted height.

I found with mine done to manufacturers specs sprayed water up and onto my outboard and also on the plane the signal dropped out. It didn't improve with a mild or tight turn in either direction, which suggested to me it was too high on the transom.(but done to spec!)
I bought a bracket for it and spent about 2 mins on the water to get it adjusted right. Now she works great at any speed.

If you need a hand and are reasonably close to Nth brisbane let me know.. I'm happy to help.

JT

Blackened
06-11-2006, 03:49 PM
G'day
All good advice so far.

Read the manufaturers instructions carefully.

The transducer placement is the critical part and remember to run the transducer cable away from all other wiring.

Fuse your sounder with the right grade fuse.

Dave

dogsbody
06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
G day Stack
If ya got a tinnie think about getting a RAM bracket for your sounder. This will allow you to spin your sounder in any direction.Good for throwing a cast net cause you can turn it around.

Dave.

Camo
06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I got to agree with all the guys here it's all good advise, but don't do what I did and shorten the cable. It caused me all sorts of problems because the cable is shielded and when I cut it to shorten it, I broke the shielding. This caused all sorts of interference. I was later told you just tie the extra cable up.

Camo

Smelly
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Jason - name of adjustabel mount - pici?

stack
07-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone I`m not so daunted by the prospect now

Cheers
Stack

Spaniard_King
08-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Anoither option for a tinny is to get a 16mm piece of Nylon about 150mm square and sikaflex thet to the transon once dry you can screw the transducer to that (so you dont have any screws going thru transom) also allows you to move it without any dramas of filling holes

Garry

davez104
08-11-2006, 09:17 AM
If you need to drill holes to mount the transducer, you may as well fit the adjustable bracket, because I guarantee you won't mount it in the right spot first time.

Smelly, here is a pic of a few adjustable brackets, they only cost 20-30 bucks and ensure you can have the transducer in exactly the right spot.
Hope it helps.

Dave.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/Davez104/P192656z.jpg