PDA

View Full Version : going alone

spinner
07-11-2006, 07:57 AM
I know it is not recommended when going long distances, but if only going a couple of kms from the harbour, going out alone when you cant get a mate at short notice seems my only option sometimes.
Launching the boat is the challenge here (17 ft fiberglass runabout) on a ramp with no pontoons to tie the boat to.
Has anyone tackled this problem and got it sorted?

davez104
07-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I have launched and retrieved my boat solo a few times now, 17ft Haines. The ramp I use has a sandy/gravel area beside it to beach the boat while you park your car. Check your local ramps and see if you can find something similar.

Dave.

Roughasguts
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Tell us how you do it now reggy,
See if we can add any tips.
I pretty much launch retreive get the car on me own cause it's a lot quicker if I do it with out any help.
Get no damage this way to.

JasonT
07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Whereabouts are you located reggy?

I can reccomend the Deep water Bend ramp at Bald hills. It has pontoons.
Clontarf (pelican park) has no pontoons, but doeshave a nice sandy area either side of the ramp.
Scarborough (not the one near the VMR) has a muddy area either side that's not too bad.

Hope this helps!

JT

whiteman
07-11-2006, 12:28 PM
This is real easy if you've got tin. Just lift the nose on to the ramp while you park/get the car.

marshy
07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
try a keel protector then you can drag the nose up the concrete like you would with a tinny.

marshy

davez104
07-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Beat me to it marshy, mine has a keel guard on it, but I still rather somewhere off the ramp for the boat to sit while I park, just so i don't hold anyone up. Some people get cranky pretty quick at boat ramps.

Dave.

Duyz72
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Step 1 - post a call out for fishing deckie required here in 'going fishing'
Step 2 - take fellow ausfisher fishing ;D ;D

saurian
07-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Reggy ,yeh solo is less hassles some times .
I have posted on this site for deckies & going fishing .
I get mixed results , some people seem like I'm looking in the mirror.
Can't get anyone to go midweek , share fuel etc.....
But sometimes i wonder.
I still think sharing the experience is more fun, even if they catch more fish.
If you get sick of solo, see if a fellow member is thinking the same as you .
Safety wise 2 is better than one , but one is & has been fine by me...

Chimo
07-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Sometimes solo, sometimes with others, rarely weekends; mostly during the week. ;D ;D

Launching and retrieving usually solo using "system" therefore less "training" hassels :( with new chums; except for specific delegated non-critical tasks. ::)

Chimo GOM

brettski3
07-11-2006, 09:21 PM
yeah its ok once you get the system worked out, i do it with my 17c haines sometimes. if no pontoon i just nose it up and put the anchor out, just be sure to start her up before you get her off the trailer. can suck if some idiot ties up on the downwind side of the pontoon, then you gotta wait. its more work but its pretty easy usually. iff you got side on wind all you do is nose her on by hand and get the nose into the trailer and winch her slowly and she will come round, if not have a stern rope hooked up, never really needed one but. after a couple tries you will find it easy with a 17

mark221263
07-11-2006, 09:29 PM
I've got a 5.8m cruise craft outsider and can launch and retreive no problems. I dont drive on either but do have a sandy area at the ramp I use for the boat while parking the car & trailer

My main advantage is when retreiving. I use an electric 712 power winch and run a small cord lanyard from the winch switch lever to the back of the trailer.

That way I can hook the boat on at the rear of the trailer and just pull the cord to run the winch. Piece of cake and I can start or stop the winch from anyware along the length of the trailer.

Cheers Mark

aussiefool
08-11-2006, 05:24 AM
Mate if ya going out of the Tweed and want a deckie you can always give me a bell ;D ;D ;D ;D

wayneoro
08-11-2006, 06:44 AM
go and watch what the locals do :)

spinner
08-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Dave
Sounds like the ramp I use, but the sandy/muddy area beside it is often under water right up to a rock wall. Might just have to pick my tides to suit ramp.
thanks
Roughasguts
Usually have a mate to hold the boat.
JasonT
Yeppoon, but thanks
Wayne
Good idea!!

davez104
08-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Ah-ha, that would be Roslyn Bay Harbour then?? Thats where I was talking about anyway. Don't think I've launched there on a full tide yet, might be something to watch for.

Dave.