PDA

View Full Version : Any Haines Hunter 520 Prowler Owners

Spaniard_King
07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
A mate of mine is loooking to buy a Haines Hunter 520 prowler but cannot find a dealer with one to go for a test run or even view one. Is there any Ausfishers that have or know someone who has said model who could at the minimum talk to this friend of mine. He is offering to pay for a test run if it is available

many thanks

Garry

PS even rang Haines to no avail

fishingrod
07-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I was looking at buying one and no one in Sydney had any.

Eventually i found Motorama Bayside Marine @ Capalaba QLD had 2 and i had a look at them while i was up at the s'cove boat show in May

I didnt buy one in the end.
I know another member here has one as he posted some photos a few months ago when he got it.

Ive got some photos (16) that ive pinched from various posts and classifieds on the net. I can email them somewhere if it helps. There is a few boat tests around to. Boatpoint has one from about 1997, but the boat is still basically the same.

cheers
rod

Spaniard_King
07-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks rod,

He really would like a ride in one but a chat with an owner would be great too

Garry

brettski3
07-11-2006, 09:27 PM
just try a 17l or 17c similair hull, all good in the water, you wont be dissapointed, a little tender at rest , no good if you get seasickness, very honest in the rough

Spaniard_King
08-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Hi Brett,

You are right the hulls are similar but as you can imagine its hard to buy a boat without a test run

Garry

GBC
08-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Have a look at a signature 542 cc before you spend your money - totally different hull and layout. Bit more expensive too though.
When I was looking at a prowler, haines factory was happy to tee up an inspection when they were putting one together - might pay to ask your dealer about this?

C.J.

Spaniard_King
08-11-2006, 07:01 AM
CJ,

I have contacts direct with haines.. they do not have any current orders for a prowler. the haines 542 is a signature and not a CC no comparison. I am not buying the boat just tying to help a friend.

Garry

isaac
08-11-2006, 07:49 PM
CJ,

I have contacts direct with haines.. they do not have any current orders for a prowler. the haines 542 is a signature and not a CC no comparison. I am not buying the boat just tying to help a friend.

Garry

They make one Gary and they are beast with a 140 suzi, 40 knots WOT. Only thing I don't like about them is the console is about a metre or so too close to the stern, too much raised foredeck for my liking. This one was for sale, $35k, 10hrs on the clock.
Cheers Ben

isaac
08-11-2006, 07:51 PM

Edencraft
08-11-2006, 08:27 PM
The 520 Prowler is the same hull as the 490 Drifter a pod was added to the hull mould and a new centre console deck was built. Great little boat and I have never heard a bad word about them but personaly if I was after a boat of this length I would go the Spearfish 15 which is 5m including the pod and 5.2 if you include the pod and bowsprit. Boatpoint has a review of the spearfish 15. I seen Port Phillip had a 520 Prowler in Trailerboat a while ago.

Spaniard_King
09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Tod,

he's keen on the 520 setup nuthing else is an option. He is very close to ordering which he may do without a test run. Just thought there would be an owner somewhere close that could assist with a test run

Garry

littlemac
09-11-2006, 05:56 PM
hey Gary,
bayside marine has got one down their at the moment with a 115 yammie on it 2 stroke but for $33,990 give me a yell if you want as i know the guys down their if you want a test run, i myself have a 520 and it was one hell of little boat, my best spaniard in it to 18kg up at 1770.i was at bayside today looking at it
regards
brett

Spaniard_King
09-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Cheers

Brett I am on it ;)