PDA

View Full Version : Is a jet boat any good for fishing?

Sea-Dog
10-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I just spotted a second-hand jetboat powered by 350 chevy donk. :) :) :)

This is in a half cab 17' hull

Is it all a bit too silly, or is a jet worthwhile for fishing.

How do you flush a jet after you get home?

I'm also wondering if the jet would run into problems in bar crossings with aerated water being sucked into the intake.
Would the thrust be there still???

I'm starting to get desperate to be back on the water.

Anyone wanna drag??

Getout
11-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Surf lifesaving uses jet boats. They must be good in surf.
They are probably quite thirsty due to innefficiency. Wouldn't be my choice for long distance running

finga64
11-11-2006, 07:43 AM
You haven't got a side on picture of that boat have you sea-dog??
Can jets go backwards??

Sea-Dog
11-11-2006, 07:52 AM
No side on shot. Its located at Yatala boats. I'm just about to head off there and have a look.

I believe that jet boats can reverse by lowering a kind of scoop-shaped shutter over the end of the jet outlet. That redirects the flow of water forwards.

Some jet aircraft use a similar system that directs the thrust forwards by use of some sort of shutter arrangement.

Otherwise they'd run off the end of the runway.

Kerry
11-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Jets are good in the right application and one could obviously fish from one but for slow type work simply not the best application. Good for hi-speed shallow and surf applications but requires a lot more power in these types of boats to make them do what they were designed to do.

Can jets go backwards?? My word they can go backwards and is one of the strong maneuvering capabilities of a jet.

For hi-speed applications jets are more efficient than props. InCats run jets (4 off) with around 10,000hp driving each one as does some navy seal boats which at 85 feet can do a 180 turn in the length of the boat doing 40 knots.

But for fishing a 350 chev in a 17 foot hartley isn't probably the best.

Regards, Kerry.

finga64
11-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Beauty, thanks for the info fellas. :)
I might go and have a gander myself just for curiosity reasons :)

ziggy.
11-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Sea Dog, I have a Hamilton Jet coupled to a 202 holden running with a heat exchanger, the jet is a two stage ,the boat you are looking at is probably going to have a two or three stage unit, what I mean by stages is that one stage means one prop and so on.

It's worth finding out what brand unit is in the boat because some were better than others, my boat is 5mtr glass it's seen better days but does a great job and I love it, as Kerry said they are not the best for slow speed because they tend to wander and you are constantly steering them but I made a small stainless rudder which slips into the water when you want to troll and it makes a huge difference.

I doubt that bar crossings will be a problem remember you have got up to three props in one unit and the jets are used extensively in the fast flowing rivers of NZ.

My boat was a cheap boat compared to many others but it has given me years of fun. Just be weary of a 17 foot boat that has a big 350 sitting right back there it may be a little tail heavy ,my motor is mid mounted which makes a big difference it also makes it a great little fishing boat because you can walk right around the engine box.
You either love em or you hate em but I find them good to use once you are familiar with them.
Hope this helps... :) :)

Blackened
11-11-2006, 09:50 AM
G'day
If you want real jet boat action..... you should have a look at the jetsprints.

I went down to cabarita last weekend to see these and damn were they good.

the super class were anywhere between 11 and 13' long..... Mainly plate alloy, and the most powerful one there was a 1200hp V8. They ran premium and meth and were simply amazing.

Accelleration was something like 0 to 160km/hr in 2.6 seconds.

Make a great crabbing boat tracking down poachers.

Dave

finga64
11-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Went and had a sticky beak at this boat....seadog, mate don't do it. There's lots of better fishing boats for $13,000. That boat has had sooooo much bodged up it isn't funny. They even painted the gunnel rubber.
There is a V19 there that isn't too bad but it's been prettied up a tad too much as well.

Sea-Dog
11-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, I wandered down and had a look myself too. (Just read the message Finga - thanks anyway)

That is one awefully big box for the motor. It leaves about 25cm either side of the box to walk in.

The jet nozzle looks like it was made in a russian tractor factory. Very basic.

Reversing is achieved by just turning the steering wheel further around so the nozzle turns 180 degrees - Like a dodgem car. ;D

The best thing about the boat is the graphic on the bow.

Worth maybe 5-6K at best.