PDA

View Full Version : Motor support bracket-who uses one?

backhoe
11-11-2006, 03:46 PM
When I lower the outboard (80hp 4 stroke on 4.8m aluminium) into the supprt bracket I'm really not sure if the bracket is doing anything i.e. I think that the trim and tilt is still taking the weight of the outboard not the bracket therefore I'm thinking why should I worry about using it?

Maybe I'm better off fully tilting the outboard and putting on the flipover support on the motor and then lowering the power tilt so that the pressure is taken off the tilt mechanism.

Has anyone found any problems with not using a bracket i.e. cracking transoms, etc. due to the weight of the motor bouncing up and down whilst being trailed?

Thanks

marlinqld
11-11-2006, 03:53 PM
I use one. I believe it helps support the weight two ways, off the transom and share it down into the trailer assembly.

Has to help.........especially when towing

Mike

finga64
11-11-2006, 04:01 PM
A lot of mutli-rollers trailers haven't got the facility to use a support bracket as they don't have a rear cross-member as such. They just rely on the flipover thingo on the motor for support.
Personally I think it's a lot of weight bouncing on the transom so I use one on all my boats. But I don't have multi-roller trailers either. :)

Poseidon
11-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Always use one, shares the weight and must take some stress away from the transom.

Regards Cameron.

Ally_Jack
11-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Backhoe,
I had the same question last year when I brought my new rig with 50 4stroke and it didn't come with a motor support bracket. I asked the dealer about the flip over support, seeing I had a 6 hours trip just to get home, they said no worries, that's what it's for.
I asked the guys from Yamaha a couple of days later at the boat show and they recommended to use the flip over for short trips only on good roads (so never then, I figured).

krazyfisher
12-11-2006, 07:41 AM
so what do you use if you cant fit a support?

camsharkman
12-11-2006, 08:05 AM
On my last boat I only ever used the flip over support - 130 Yamaha - as the dealer said that's what it for. I towed this thing up and down the east coast for 5 years. No damage to the transom but it did flog out the pivot bushes. New boat will have a support. 8-)

bungie
12-11-2006, 08:59 AM
17ft fibreglass hull with a 150 blue-band hanging off the bum, damn right I put it on a support bracket.

Roughasguts
12-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Think a block of timber would be better to suport your motor in case the tilt ram leaks. Just lower the motor down on the timber to stop it dropping any further. (Or fix the leaking ram)

If you bolt a suport from your trailer to your motor think your looking for trouble.
The trailer will flex, and your motor hanging on the transom shouldn't.
So think you will wear out your motor suport bushes and in turn they will rust then crack the casting. Not to mention put more strain on your transom, mounting holes.

I bet your transom can suport the motor better on it's own. It will get a much rougher ride on the back of your boat with 130 HP, at 30 knots and a 3 foot chop. Than any ride on the trailer.

Ally_Jack
12-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Another thing I've read about, on a plate boat, and the support mount was on the lower part of the transom. The way I understood it the bracket was welded to the keel bar as it exited thru transom, and you fitted the support bracket into this for travelling.
This way the boat and trailer aren't connected by the support.

Reef_fisher
12-11-2006, 10:39 AM
I have often wondered about this topic myself, I originaly had a support, it was a quick release one that you didn't have to get on your back to fit which was great with hot bich', alas that disappeared on the way home one day, never saw it again. I am thinking the trailer flexed and the boat/motor didn't. So I fitted the spare one, yes on back on hot bich' but never lost it. ;D

Then I had a problem dragging boat of the beach one day and had to modify the trailer setup so that I had a v shape roller setup at rear of trailer. Unfortunately the support no longer fits and have been using the flip over support ever since, but I only have a short way to go for launch. Should I be fitting some other device? Particularly for a longer trip?

onlyme
12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
it is very important when towing that you try to take weight off the transom, so if you think the motor support bracket is not working, drill a hole where the adjuster for length is and put a solid pin there so you can wedge the motor in there.when you are towing your boat the flex on your transom is huge so this will defiantly help.Thanks heaps Onlyme

Roughasguts
12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
it is very important when towing that you try to take weight off the transom, so if you think the motor support bracket is not working, drill a hole where the adjuster #for length is and put a solid pin there so you can wedge the motor in there.when you are towing your boat the flex on your transom is huge so this will defiantly help.Thanks heaps Onlyme

What makes you think the transom can't handle the weight of a motor, when gentle bouncing along on a trailer.

Compared to jumping off the tops of waves and back jarring pounding in a small chop. If you think the motor mount can't handle the soft ride on a trailer, why would you risk it out on the water.

ozscott
12-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing - my 115 Yammy never sees one - it uses the flip down things on the engine bracket. The transom should never be a problem if the thing is properly designed and maintained. If you can stand on your outboard when tilted and get your weight going up and down and see flex in the transom somthing's wrong - if not then to my mind the engine weight istelf is never going to be a problem; although on a smaller motor I would probably just haul up and down on it and not stand on it!!

My 2 cents

Fat_Chilli
12-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I was told by a mate (he's a marine mechanic / owns a dealership) not to use the type of outboard brackets that mount to the trailer, for the same reasons as mentioned above, trailer flexing and putting pressure on the leg.
It also states in my outboard owners manual not to use the flip down lock for towing (so why the hell do they put it on?)

I use a 'H' style support bracket (not sure of their real name :-/) for my Mariner, pics below. their fairly common and only cost $35 (Springwood Marine).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ausjeep/Hbracket.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ausjeep/Hbracketinstalled.jpg

Cheers.

FC.

TOPAZ
12-11-2006, 05:22 PM
I think Roughasguts has the right idea. - The amount of force applied to the transom of the boat by the motor during its operation far exceeds any forces the motor's weight will apply whilst travelling along on the trailer.
Just think for a moment where the forces are applied when you gun the boat from a standstill to bring it up on the plane - the forward thrust from the prop is exerted directly forward via the prop shaft alone, and that is anything up to 2 or 3 feet below the attachment point of the engine to the boat, yet it can be sufficient to accelerate the whole rig to 20 or 30 knots in the space of a few seconds. If you transom can withstand that on a regular basis, why worry just about the motor's weight moving about a bit?

Stu
12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I love that 'H' style support bracket of yours Fat Chilli. What a great idea.
I normally use the normal flip down lock support on my Mariner 125 but the outboard leg sits up too high and is a hazard to vehicles behind.
With that H bracket it will solve the problem. :)
Cheers
Stu

snappa
12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
i use a block of wood its cheap and does the same thing....

Roughasguts
12-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Fat chillie,
I can see how that "H" bracket slots to the transom mount.
But how does it attach to the leg?

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
12-11-2006, 09:14 PM
The big difference to an outboard at full thrust opposed to in the air being towed home is the tilt. In the water and even at WOT the motor is trimmed right in allowing attachment brackets etc full purchase on the transom. Travelling home with motor tilted up is entirely different.

My understanding of the lock is that it is not for travelling home on the trailer, but rather for locking the outboard up if you are beaching etc.
Personally, I would not consider towing the boat home without some form of bracing for the outboard. Mine attaches directly to the trailer, and as for the trailer flexing and boat not????? I can't get my head around that one. The boat moves, in a general sense, as one with the trailer.

Just my opinion

Dave

blaze
12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
never used one, transom in my 6m glass is 3 inches so I reckon I can hang a fair bit off that, with my current tinnie I put a rope around the motor in the down postion as there is no chance of the leg hitting the road.
cheers
blaze

Fat_Chilli
12-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Fat chillie,
I can see how that "H" bracket slots to the transom mount.
But how does it attach to the leg?

Hi Roughasguts, see pics and description below:

Pic 1 - The retaining pins ('A'), are removed from the rod ('B') that slides through the H Bracket.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ausjeep/Hbracket2-1.jpg

Pic 2 - Place the H Bracket into position and insert the rods ('B') through the legs holes (not sure if they are common for all manufacturers, Mariner/Merc have them), and through the holes in the H Bracket, then just insert the retaining pin ('A') and trim down slightly to take up the 3-4 mm of slack.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ausjeep/Hbracket3.jpg

The brackets are Gal coated and the rod/pins are zinc coated.

Simple (hope my explanation was? ::))

fishing_maniac
12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
I use one ;D it attaches to the trailer :)

its shaped like the letter Y :) the good folk at BIAS Boating hooked me up with it ;)

I like to make sure that the Transom on my boat is under as less stress as it has to be ::)

after all you got any idea how much a transom on a fiberglass boat cost to fix or replace :'(

blaze
12-11-2006, 10:15 PM
after all you got any idea how much a transom on a fiberglass boat cost to fix or replace :'(

yeh, blood sweat and lots of $ still dont use one

Roughasguts
12-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks Fat chilli, Yup that explained it thanks.
Hmmm Me Suzuki don't have those holes on the leg, that's why I was wondering how it hooked up.
Cheers.

charleville
13-11-2006, 05:06 AM
If you bolt a suport from your trailer to your motor think your looking for trouble.
The trailer will flex, and your motor hanging on the transom shouldn't.

I never strap down the rear of the boat to the when I hit a few bumps, I know that it will move around on the trailer so I would be wary of securing the motor on a bracket to the trailer.

I use a bracket similar to Fat Chilli's, also bought at Springwood Marine, which bolts onto the motor itself at he bottom end just like Fat Chilli's but has the normal rubber sleeved vee shape at the top which I wedge the motor leg into with not too much force.

I reckon that I don't want to be in any boat where the transom cannot support the motor when it is on its trailer so supprting the motor on itself like this seems the best option to me.

sjp
13-11-2006, 06:19 AM
mine is supported with a bracket to the bottom of the transom,not the trailer

marshy
13-11-2006, 08:41 AM
I dont use a support but maybe I should.Does anyone know if you can get ones like Fat Chilli has to fit OMC's? .

Marshy

drb
13-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't use a support to the trailer (multi roller) Untill recently I was using the flip over but then after a tow from Caboolture to Tin Can Bay I discovered the flip over had bent from being bounced on. Being bent meant I couldn't trim the moter all the way down (Thanks to TCB Coast Guard for lending me a Hammer to fix it :) ).

I now just leave it on the tilt trim but those brackets from springwood marine look the goods. Might get one of them

Dazz

Getout
13-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Travelling on the road can't be as tough on the transom as hammering into a headsea. The motor won't bounce against the tilt stop if you use the down-trim to hold the motor down firmly against the trailering tilt bracket.
My motor manual recommends using this inbuilt tilt support when trailering.

PADDLES
13-11-2006, 02:02 PM
i thought that when you use the flip over style brace that's on the motor already, it holds the motor in almost a balancing position on the transom which gives downwards pressure only on the transom. if the motor is tilted further backwards, then it'll have the effect of a weight on the back of the transom flexing it outwards under load and flexing it more when ya hit bumps on the road. i can't fit a brace on my motor because i've got a multi roller trailer with no rear cross member and am now convinced that the flip over thingy is the way to go for me. mind you, boat ramp is only about 1 minute from home so it doesn't worry me too much. ;)

trip01
23-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Made one.

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/trip01_photos/DSC02912.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/trip01_photos/DSC02911.jpg

20mm gal box tubing. Connects to leg with 'V' covered in plastic hose.

Should the 'V' be tied to the motor leg ?? ::)

Kind Rgds
Dave
MacGregor 26M / Alloy - torsion bar suspension trailer / Yamaha F60

black runner
24-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I used to have a spring loaded one on my previous tinny. It had no PTT so would happily move when it needed to without any interference from a flexing trailer or trim ram.

I like Daves idea as any downward force from the leg is transferred to the very strong transom/keel joint and along the keel axis rather than the peeling back force at the top of the transom without it. As it is at the moment I don't use one but I reckon Daves is the answer

Cheers - thanks Dave

White Pointer
25-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I use one. I believe it helps support the weight two ways, off the transom and share it down into the trailer assembly.

Has to help.........especially when towing

Mike

G'day,

The weight is always on the transom. A leg support has minimal affect on that.

The leg support prevents the effect that, if unsupported and raised, it would have hammering the T&T hydraulics or, if lowered, bashing back and forward like a lever trying to pull the transom out of the boat at the engine mountings.

I'm not a fan of leg supports and I'm not a fan of trailering with the bungs out. I see too many of them (and winch handles) scattered on the Houghton Highway bridge.

This is an engine support bracket. Sorry for poor picture quality. PM me if you want one.

Regards,

White Pointer

CCDrifter
26-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Spanyard King gave me an idea to use a keel roller slid over the ram of trim unit. Cut it to length you are happy with for motor to rest on while towing and lower motor down. I have done this for the past couple of years and has worked a treat.

Nathan

Reef_fisher
27-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Always have used lump of 4x2, my fibre glass boat has alloy pod attached to transom, can't use prop down to trailer, like some of the brilliant ideas used to support engine but lump of timber costs nothing and is not all that hard to replace. Towed the boat 1800klms, didn't make any more marks on the timber than was already there. (200hpMerc)

Steeler
27-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Spanyard King gave me an idea to use a keel roller slid over the ram of trim unit. Cut it to length you are happy with for motor to rest on while towing and lower motor down. I have done this for the past couple of years and has worked a treat.

Nathan

Ditto here on the keel rollers,economical and effective.

Steeler

barneyII
28-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Agree. Have one of these supports for my new 60 suzuki. They come with a real springy bit of plate for the support - not like some of the yammys that have a larger thicker bit of plate.

As my outboard does not have a flange that the trim pin attachs to, have just added some padding and then trimed the outboard down on this. While it doesn't stop any up movement on the outboard, I use an ockky strap to assist to hold it in place.

Andrew

Why Not
28-03-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a motor bracket for my 140hp Suzuki. Its a must have when towing in the NT. The roads and corrugations belt the blue blazes out of motors and transoms. I've seen motors bouncing wildly on the back of boats whilst the tow vehicle is none the wiser. I put my rear tie downs onto the bracket which then holds the back of the boat down onto the trailer.

Here is my bracket

Why Not

Jono_SS
19-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I've been giving this issue some thought since purchasing the new rig. I usually need to tow the boat 30 plus km along some of Brisbane's "fine" roads, so was keen to whip something up to allow towing with motor trimmed down a fair bit. I get the feeling this makes it a bit better balanced than trimmed right up, and resting on the little flip down built in supports.

I cut up an old chopping board, and shaped to fit in place. It flexed a fair bit, so I put a wooden "stringer" on it to stiffen it up.

Before I start using this contraption routinely, I would like to know if anyone can see any glaring potential problems with it.

regards.

Jono.

wrxhoon
19-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Thats what I always use , have done for 20 years +. I tow 400 km down the coast many times .
I don't use a chopping board , I use a piece of 5"x2" pine , never flexes.

nicko233
19-06-2010, 10:54 PM
piece of wood for me yam 115

Mindi
19-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Suggest anyone who doubts the necessity check recent posts on my experience with this..search for "tilt tube" posts. Sure it doesnt matter much to the local ramp but it sure does over a long distance. The problem with a block of wood (which I was using) is that even after nipping down the hydraulics into it , the block can definitely come out. The tilt tube is vulnerable from the force of the leg pushing/levering down from out at an angle....this is why mfrs say to tow in fully down position....the gutters and spoon drains at servos are your problem not theirs..? The leg support bracket prevents this happening.

Mad-One
20-06-2010, 04:47 AM
This is what I used to have

wrxhoon
20-06-2010, 10:43 PM
. The tilt tube is vulnerable from the force of the leg pushing/levering down from out at an angle...

Not when you have a hydraulic steering, mine never moves and even if it did the timber will not. I clamp mine with the trim guide and go down as much as possible without risking the skeg hitting the ground when you go over driveways .

Blusta
21-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I use a shaped piece of 245mm x 45mm pine with s5mm rubber stoppers which once in place is tied to the holes in the engines transom frame. I have a 90 Opti on a fibreglass boat with a roller trailer. Has worked fine for five years but it isn't pretty. Easy to tie and release and protects the T & T from constantly working when travelling.