PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Motor Weight versus Horse Power

kastaway
10-11-2006, 08:16 AM
The manufacturer of my friends boat states the maximum horse power for his boat hull is 200, however when he bought the boat it had a 225 horsepower engine on it. When he queried this difference with the boat yard (who is also a designated rep in Queensland for this brand) the salesman stated that the engine was under the maximum weight limit for the transom.
Is this a problem or can the manufactures horse power limit be exceeded so long as you remain under the maximum transom weight.
Thanks

Spaniard_King
10-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Kastaway,

I think where all this weight/HP thing falls down is when insurance companies get involved. Hulls have previously been designed around HP which has been a structual issue ie only built to carry x amount of HP. Now 4 strokes have landed on the market manufacturers have had to include maximum weight.

I have been thru this with a manufacturer who re issued a plate for a particular boat to carry the extra HP this covered the owner for insurrance purposes, otherwise in any accident that was investigated propperly he would have been liable.

Garry

Kerry
10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Isn't there now a requirement for BOTH weight AND hp to be plated with the motor meeting BOTH requirements.

Deiter
10-11-2006, 10:53 AM
well mine hasn't got a plate at all!!!

Apparrently this has only become compulsory in the last few years, or so the builder said whan i called.

anyone confirm or deny?

Coontakinta
13-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Yep, went through this with my razerline. ALL the brochures stipulate a max HP of 90 then when I took delivery the plate had no max HP but a max HP weight. I queried this with the dealer because the max weight of 180kg meant I could have put a 115 on the back. He checked with Razerlien who said yep, it'd be alright so I'm thinking of getting a 115TLDI, but then I see that the 135TLDI is the same motor and due for release later this year.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, decisions :-/, think I'll have to double check that one with the insurance company but huh! ::)