PDA

View Full Version : Sounder readings in rough conditions

troy
02-11-2006, 05:37 AM
Does your sounder read clear at speed in rough conditions.
Mine shows a lot of clutter at speed.
I do not know whether this is normal as the dealership raised my transducer because of it shooting spray up and over my motor.
I think they have raised a bit high but i would like advise before i alter it.
Thanks
Troy

Fishin_Dan
02-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Does it lose the bottom at speed Troy? The clutter might be air bubbles or "disturbed" water from the hull. If you've still got bottom the whole way, you might not need to lower it...

Biff
02-11-2006, 01:14 PM
You can get spray covers for your tranducer. For me to get a good picture at speed I could not set the transducer up without a big spray coming up. I put the cover on and no moor spray.

see pics Biff

Biff
02-11-2006, 01:14 PM
One more

troy
02-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Does it lose the bottom at speed Troy? The clutter might be air bubbles or "disturbed" water from the hull. If you've still got bottom the whole way, you might not need to lower it...
Fishin_Dan,
No mate mainly all clutter since they raised it.
Troy

RB
06-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Troy,

Smithy here on Russ' login.

get it back deeper again and fashion a spray deflector for it.

Just for interests sake I am playing around on the shelf at the moment off the Ribbon Reefs off Cooktown and the problem I am experiencing is shooting through the thermocline about 60m down. #At idle I pinged 450m the other day with 600Watts but at trolling speed I can only get to about 60m before the clutter below that makes it unreadable. #Still marking a few Marlin in that top 60m through.

Just put a pic up in sounder reading under electronics.

Johnson_Jack
07-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Troy,

I'd say put it back down and get the cover for the spray.

Those covers that biff has pic of are available from Quintrex / Stacer for about $30.

Jack

troy
07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Where would i order one from.
I am only in a small town in Nth Qld and the only Quintrex dealer close to me does not carry accesorries.
Thanks
Troy

troy
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Troy,

Smithy here on Russ' login.

get it back deeper again and fashion a spray deflector for it.

Just for interests sake I am playing around on the shelf at the moment off the Ribbon Reefs off Cooktown and the problem I am experiencing is shooting through the thermocline about 60m down. #At idle I pinged 450m the other day with 600Watts but at trolling speed I can only get to about 60m before the clutter below that makes it unreadable. #Still marking a few Marlin in that top 60m through.

Just put a pic up in sounder reading under electronics.
Mate i cannot get at my sounder at the moment and even if i could my ability to post pics ,well the sounder would most likely be out of warranty before i posted them.
:-[ ;D
Troy

Smithy
14-11-2006, 11:00 AM
There is one for sale at the moment here.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1161469613

If not, fashion your own out of SS, aluminium or at the very least an icecream container.

Reef_fisher
14-11-2006, 09:28 PM
is the bottom still in view at speed at all? I can see the bottom with mine but the line is not solid.( Anything over fast troll) No probs at rest or trolling. Sounder is new, Lowrance x52, Does exactly the same as old sounder, Eagle not sure model, and the new one has shielded cables, so not interferance from elec noise. Noticed the other day coming back from reef and had a small rooster tail coming out the back in the general area of the sounder probe. Is this the same as above?

SeaSaw
14-11-2006, 10:13 PM
I used to have these sort of problems, so I mounted the the tranducer in a wet box inside the hull. Now it picks up much better.

Mark