PDA

View Full Version : ON THE SUBJECT OF HOLESHOTS!!!! - VIDEO

youngfisho
10-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Just thought i'd throw in this clip from the good old US of A. #Why other than for the purpose of going fast would you need twin turbine engines from an apache attack helicopter in your 50 foot boat is beyond me.

BECAUSE THEY CAN!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if they throw in the 5 year warranty?

Wonder what the service costs are?

How many MPG?

lots of room up front to cast fly's and lures!!!!!

Thats one hell of a trailer

andrew

#BeK_aFU0dYQ

seatime
10-11-2006, 05:55 AM
Don't let Stefan see that, he might erect it at Sth Brisbane #:o

notice how the term 'holeshot' has been adopted by us Aussies, it's such an Americanism, wonder if a video producer invented the terminology #;)

Blackened
10-11-2006, 07:58 AM
G'day
Thats an amazing concept... where else but the states though....
Dave

youngfisho
10-11-2006, 08:12 AM
mate just about everything us aussies do is directed in some part by the US. Just look at our vehicles, FORD, General Motors Holden. Also the television we watch. How many shows on free to air have american shows.

Oh and by the way the term hole shot is used heavily in drag racing when referring to the car that leaves the lights first, catching the clean and somewhat undisturbed air and hurtling down the track. Think its been carried over by the marine fraternity.

I may be way off the mark. But anyone else have suggestions

andrew

seatime
10-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Yep, we're the 51st, 52nd or 53rd state now, no avoiding it anymore.

nothin' meant by it youngfisho, an observation is all. [smiley=oops.gif]

I remember when it used to be called out-of-the hole, that was probably from the US too.
sometimes, I try to stay as ocker as possible.

cheers

Brissyguy
10-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Would have trouble sneaking up the barra creeks up North lol.

Kerry
10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Salesman to buyer: Has a fantastic holeshot hey, want to do it again?

Buyer to salesman: So what else can it do?

Salesman: [smiley=speechless.gif]

BR65
10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Imagine backing that baby down the ramp at Awoonga, the grey army would go into coniptions

youngfisho
10-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Kerry

Salesman to buyer

Its got cup holders???? :-[

Gelsec, its great to sound ocker!

andrew

Kopey
11-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Suprised old mate didn't have a go at the"balance" of this one.

Ron173
11-11-2006, 09:39 AM
The boat filming it must have been powered by an Evinrude ETEC to be able to keep up ;D

wessel
11-11-2006, 11:40 PM
If you want an engine for your offshore racer, then you get a Lamborghini engine. Turbines are only good for extremely flat water.

Dont get me wrong, a turbine driven boat is insanely fast, but the engine has a tendency to self destruct when the prop leaves the water. There is nothing for the engine to work against, and when it makes contact with the water again at 200 km/h plus, the whole drive train tends to blow up due to the forces envolved.

Now, did anybody see that bit about these guys testing a new turbine outboard motor 8-)
Bring along the jetski brigade. this thing should put a crimp in their style ;)

Wessel

Kendall249
12-11-2006, 03:03 AM
wow

youngfisho
12-11-2006, 03:15 AM
Wessel,

andrew searle one of the top offshore powerboat racers in Oz uses two v12 turbo supercharged deisel engines at 1095 hp each, with torque that could pull a bend out of a river, and i think it runs through a stern drive leg. #Not sure how reliable a high reving lambo would be but i wouldnt mind one stuffed in my car, mid mounted running through a tough transaxle six speeder.

However i see that a lot of the top guys do run them lambos around 950 hp each,

andrew

Kopey
12-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Stuff the 8 X 250 Yamie 2 bangers, don't think they'd keep up with this mumma. ;)

snapperm8
13-11-2006, 03:34 PM
geeze talk about a fast boat :o :o

Kopey
13-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Clever yank who thought of this project, just think of the profits he'll make off the drugrunner market. ;D ;D

wessel
14-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Those diesel engines have a tendency to rattle your teeth loose. It has a serious low down rumble that makes babies cry. :o

When those Lambo's come past though, your ears start to bleed and the bikinis just drop to the floor. There is nothing else like it. 8-)
(I am amazed that these things are allowed to race within a mile of people due to the high noise levels)

What amazes me every time is that these boats leave helicopters behind that are trying to film them.

Wessel

Dirtysanchez
14-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Bill Barry Cotter (Mr Riviera) races one of those things with the Lambo engines in it - is that the ones you are talking about Wessel ?

I remember watching when he 1st launched it and raced it, blew all the other boats to the weeds and everyone just stood there going :o

He also had a rig with twin v12 turbo diesels in it I think

Interesting stuff ;)

wessel
14-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Truely amazing stuff. The flavour of the racing scene currently is the Mercury engines.
Just have a look at the stats for the Jotun 90 boat (Class 1 Offshore racing) They are situated in third place currently, the leaders are running the Lambo engines which are slower...... :o Maybe there is hope for a Suzuki engine yet ;)

Just have a look at their speeds, and their fuel consumption
It will be interesting to see if the turbine engine will be entered into the World Offshore Racing Calendar, or they should start an International "Hole Shot" competition.

Length: 12.25 m
Beam: 3.47 m
Depth:
Weight: 4800 kgs
Engines: Mercury Class 1
Valves: 16
Cylinder: 8
Power: 930hp per engine @ 6500RPM engine will run to 6500RPM
Air Scoops: NA
Gear Box: SCS
Drop Box: SCS
Drives: Trimax
Rudder: MTI single configure
Propellers: Hering
Fuel Tanks: 95 Octane pump gas - fuel injected consumption - 700 litres
per race capacity - 1000litres (tanks - 2)
Top Speed: 160mph-260km/h
Instruments: Analogue gauges - Mahtechs
Navigation: GPS - Mahtechs
Builder: Marine Technology Inc
Designer: MTI
Construction: Composites
Hull: Catamaran