PDA

View Full Version : Johnson regulator problems

1975fflh
23-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi People

I have a 1999 model 90HP Johnson I have replaced the regulator and it worked for a while the died then worked. the next time out it didnt work at all.

I guage it is not working because the tacho is works sometimes and not others as described above.

I had the tacho checked by a mechanic before he installed the regulator ( I am new to playing with outboards).

Can anyone help me find out why this is happening as I dont want to replace the regulator againa as they are $500 new.
So I would like to find out why they are dying on me.

I run a dual battery system if this helps.

Thanks

Gordon

Spaniard_King
23-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Gordon,

Get the mechanic to check the running output of the stator against the specs for the engine.

The regulator needs to be installed as per the manual ensuring a good earth is made on the earthing wire.

These regulators can be damaged by turning the battery switch off during swapping batteries.. could this be your problem??

I take it you don't get warranty on the regulator just fitted??

cheers

Garry

1975fflh
23-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi

I have a double switch installed and when swapping batteries, both are turned on and then one turned off.

Where would I find the earth wire to check?

Thanks

Spaniard_King
23-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Look at the regulator, it will have a black wire with a ring terminal on it which needs to go to a clean earth on the block somewhere.

Garry

BaysideMarine
23-10-2006, 09:21 PM
If your blowing regulators the first thing I would be checking is how clean and tight the battery connections are.

And as you have a battery switch in th emix, I'd be pulling that off its bulkhead and checking the connections on the back of it.

Even if its a "make before break" type switch I personally wouldnt want to be switching between batteries with the engine running. Not cool.....

Are the batts identical? purchased and installed at the same time?

Cheers,

Nicholas

1975fflh
23-10-2006, 09:47 PM
no different makes, when i bought the boat one was shot and was replaced.

There are two battery switches I think they the BEP type ans was fitted by a dealer before I bought the boat. Boat purchased privatly)

BaysideMarine
23-10-2006, 10:03 PM
2 batt switches?????? :o

Why????

Go to a one switch system. Start and run your engine on one batt or the other.

Your problem is caused by the odd battery setup.

Cheers,

Nicholas

1975fflh
15-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Problem resolved it was a fuse holder, the ford type ones and the female part was open too much and allowing it to loose contact.

I did try to think of a better way of putting it.

Thanks to the Spaniard King for his suggestion.

FNQCairns
15-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the feed back on your problem -did you blow the first $500 bucks, lots of techies today are parts replacement personel and worth a dam lot to spare parts managemant >:(. Go get your old one back as a spare.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
15-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Fnq,

hes got it back for a spare ;)

Garry

FNQCairns
15-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Ok Cool, Garry while I have you around, what is the carb/s design of the honda 115? also what type of spark management does it run?

Thanks fnq

Spaniard_King
15-11-2006, 07:06 PM
fnq,

guessing what your after here, 115 honda is a fuel injected engine with computor controlled ignition

usual car type ignition system with several sensors feeding an ECU which directs spark to the ingition coils, very robust system.

Fuel injection is a basic system with LP fuel pump feeding a vapor seperator which houses the HP fuel pump.. output to a comon rail governed by a fuel pressure regulator which is vaccum governed(rpm wise) Ecu then controls the injectors as required

cheers

Garry

flotsom
15-11-2006, 07:11 PM
where do i by one, sounds great.

Spaniard_King
15-11-2006, 07:24 PM
With your Job flotsom, you will have to save a bit longer I recon ;D ;D ;D ;D

FNQCairns
15-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks Garry thats good info, back to the late 80s to 90s with the efi system - nice and simple like you say, throttle body? I thought the smaller 'big engines' were carby? curious if they were carby once can they be retrofitted?
Also are any of the powerhead bolt on running bits and pieces also used on any honda cars or bikes that you know of?

Contemplating a 115 at least as an option at the moment.

Thanks again fnq

Spaniard_King
15-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Fnq,

All 115'/130's got a free fuel system upgrade in 2002, this was for all 115' and 130's in existance so it doesnt matter how old it was it got it for free. This was a new vapor seperator, fuel rail and High pressure pump. The 115s and 130s also had a cooling water issue which craked heads and blocks, this problem is still being fixed under warranty no matter how old the engine (it's not a re occuring pronblem they have fixed this thru design) I have a 130 and after putting 500 hrs on it I recon you would have to do something prety bad to kill one.

Most of the parts are particular to these engines, the technology however is from honda motor vehicles. About the only parts that cross over are the valves.

Just had a look and they never made a carby 115 or 130

cheers

Garry

FNQCairns
15-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks Garry, dunno why I thought they were once carb, no matter. thanks for the info esp the valve crossover which is the sort of stuff I like :).
Better go and chase up some glossy tourist brochure level of engine info from the website. I know nothing specific about these honda's.

cheers fnq